shape
carat
color
clarity

31mm or 36mm date just

arabellan

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I love posting here when I need opinions on jewellery and watches!
I wanted to see everyone’s thoughts on date just sizes - I’m stuck between a 31mm or a 36mm.
I went in to see my husbands sales associate at our local Rolex dealer and tried on a 36mm.
I got offered this yellow gold and steel watch but I’m holding out for an ever rose and Steel to match my ER and wedding band.
Do you think I should change my preferences to a 31mm with the sales associate (I’ve added a pic of the 31mm I love!)

Thank you :) FB1B468C-F0D7-4393-BD07-2C8EFFE4456F.jpeg

Attachments

• 149C4910-BCD1-4733-85CE-8D28C5AFECDC.jpeg
    149C4910-BCD1-4733-85CE-8D28C5AFECDC.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 0C47380B-B131-4717-9911-C3B88D3F438E.jpeg
    0C47380B-B131-4717-9911-C3B88D3F438E.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 82

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I know this isn't too helpful but you can't go wrong with either watch size wise. I have a 31mm and a 36mm and I love them both.
A few things that maybe will help you make up your mind?
Can the AD get you the watch you want soon? Will a 31mm be delivered quicker than the 36?
Do you like the dials equally? Diamond vs Roman?
Do you have a lot of yellow gold jewelry where a yellow gold while not an exact match to your ER would match a lot of your pieces?
If you get the yellow gold.. do you ever plan on letting your husband or son wear the watch when and if you tire of it? The 31mm would probably be too small for him while he could wear a 36mm.
Last but not least.. is the 36mm comfortable on your wrist? Is it too heavy? Too "big?"
Both the yellow and the rose gold are gorgeous so honestly you will be happy with either one.. so it's really picking between two right answers.=)2

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I die over Rolex's everose gold and I love the configuration you posted above with the RG. I also love that the two-tone RG/SS will match your wedding set, so I definitely vote for the RG, regardless of which size you pick!

On the sizing, it looks like your wrist is relatively small? The 31mm size looks great on you. I would have to see the 36mm on you, but it seems like the 31mm might be the best fit for you. So, based on the pics above I would say to request the 31mm RG/SS with the diamond markers you posted above - it will be so stunning!! :kiss2:

Keep us updated!!

arabellan

Rough_Rock
I die over Rolex's everose gold and I love the configuration you posted above with the RG. I also love that the two-tone RG/SS will match your wedding set, so I definitely vote for the RG, regardless of which size you pick!

On the sizing, it looks like your wrist is relatively small? The 31mm size looks great on you. I would have to see the 36mm on you, but it seems like the 31mm might be the best fit for you. So, based on the pics above I would say to request the 31mm RG/SS with the diamond markers you posted above - it will be so stunning!! :kiss2:

Keep us updated!!

Thank you for your reply!
I agree I love the rose diamond marker face it’s stunning! The watch im trying on in the photos is a 36mm. I feel like when I look at the photos it looks quite big on my wrist? My other issue with the 36mm I don’t love any of the faces quite so much!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply!
I agree I love the rose diamond marker face it’s stunning! The watch im trying on in the photos is a 36mm. I feel like when I look at the photos it looks quite big on my wrist? My other issue with the 36mm I don’t love any of the faces quite so much!

Ah, sorry - I thought the one you were trying on was a 31mm!

So to me, the 36mm does not look too big on you, but this is definitely a personal preference thing and there is no wrong answer. So if you felt like 36 looks a bit too big, and you prefer the dial options for the 31mm, then that makes your decision easy! You definitely want to love the watch face you pick. Were you able to try on a 31mm and compare the sizes?

I'm a little biased because I debated between the 31 and 36mm and decided that I prefer the look of the 36mm on me (my wrist is about 6.5 inches I think). It's funny - when I was researching Rolex options I came across a thread from about 7 years ago talking about how bigger watches are trendy, haha. There is definitely an element of that, but it hasn't gone away, and at the end of the day it's about picking the watch size that works best for you. @Tonks ROCKS her Sub and I've seen other awesome examples of women rocking the professional models.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
31. Seems like a better fit on your wrist (the 36 on the picture looks quite large to my eyes ). I went through the same dilemma myself a few years ago. I got the 31 and no regrets

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I’m just gonna throw out there that you would really, really rock a Daytona. I don’t know if your AD has one to try, but wow, the two tone Daytona with a white face would be gorgeous.

My preference is clearly for bigger. One thing I have found is that as we age, our eyesight tends to go (pretty universally). It is so much easier to manage with a larger face watch.

Rolex’s Everrose is gorgeous, so if you’re drawn to that and your instinct is to wait for it, I would encourage you to wait. Even if it’s a few months, if you build a relationship and express interest, you will be able to get the watch you want.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the 31 completely gorgeous ever rose

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have watches from 31 up to 36 and the 31-32 size seems to be the sweet spot for me. Anything larger gets to be uncomfortable for me when flexing my wrist and I actually get bruises from them. I like my watches loose so it's not that they are too tight. So my vote goes to 31.

arabellan

Rough_Rock
Ok so a little update! My SA hasn’t received into store any date justs with a face I like but they have received this Yacht master which is available- I’m going to go try it tomorrow! Let me know your thoughts on it? Do you think it’s soo masculine? 8EBFA54A-CAC5-4626-AD41-B045D49CA368.jpeg

Attachments

• 3117F604-97D7-421B-9284-3D0C52FDB640.jpeg
    3117F604-97D7-421B-9284-3D0C52FDB640.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 4

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so a little update! My SA hasn’t received into store any date justs with a face I like but they have received this Yacht master which is available- I’m going to go try it tomorrow! Let me know your thoughts on it? Do you think it’s soo masculine? 8EBFA54A-CAC5-4626-AD41-B045D49CA368.jpeg

I love the 37mm YM for women, assuming it fits okay on your wrist! I'm really excited to see what you think after you try it on -- take some pics! I don't know if you are planning on purchasing multiple Rolexes, but for me the YM would not replace the DJ because they are so different. I would want the YM as my really cool watch option, and the DJ as my dressier option. But I think they are both gorgeous.

For reference, I had saved these pics from the other forum; a petite member there ended up purchasing a YM because she was looking for a larger-size watch:

368CBF13-40E0-4045-96A6-F525458DBD59.jpeg E0762A9C-7D5F-48DE-9E2A-C62EFE2892A5.jpeg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love the Yachtmaster. I own one. It's big. Not gonna lie it is heavy, but I've always been drawn to the sporty chic that it is. I am a small person wearing a big watch.

No bad choice here. All gorgeous, but not the same "look". I don't envy your decision. LOL

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the 31mm which is the one I have. I don't have large wrists either and the larger watch looks like a men's watch on me.

I misspoke - I think mine is 28 mm! I do have small wrists though so the larger faces don’t look good on me. Definitely personal preference though.

Last edited:

lioness88

Rough_Rock
I love the 37mm YM for women, assuming it fits okay on your wrist! I'm really excited to see what you think after you try it on -- take some pics! I don't know if you are planning on purchasing multiple Rolexes, but for me the YM would not replace the DJ because they are so different. I would want the YM as my really cool watch option, and the DJ as my dressier option. But I think they are both gorgeous.

For reference, I had saved these pics from the other forum; a petite member there ended up purchasing a YM because she was looking for a larger-size watch:

368CBF13-40E0-4045-96A6-F525458DBD59.jpeg E0762A9C-7D5F-48DE-9E2A-C62EFE2892A5.jpeg

Hi! I briefly had a (35 mm?) two tone ywchtmaster and i didn’t love it to be honest. I really wanted a sporty watch and got the yacht master as an impulse purchase. I realized I preferred the other rolex sporty models like the submariner (which doesn’t cost much more as I recall but has a larger dial)

I ended up selling it and getting my holy grail, a 36 mm vintage Yellow gold daydate rolex.

To your original 31 mm vs 36 mm question:
I think the 36 mm is fresh and young looking and looks gorg on you!!

I don’t think the big watch thing is a fad. we’ve had big watches around now for women for maybe 15 years….I think watches have just gotten bigger over time ‍♀️…see the evolution of watches over the last 100 years for both men and women.

That being said it doesn’t rly matter how style has evolved. You need to love it! :)

lioness88

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,
I love posting here when I need opinions on jewellery and watches!
I wanted to see everyone’s thoughts on date just sizes - I’m stuck between a 31mm or a 36mm.
I went in to see my husbands sales associate at our local Rolex dealer and tried on a 36mm.
I got offered this yellow gold and steel watch but I’m holding out for an ever rose and Steel to match my ER and wedding band.
Do you think I should change my preferences to a 31mm with the sales associate (I’ve added a pic of the 31mm I love!)

Thank you :) FB1B468C-F0D7-4393-BD07-2C8EFFE4456F.jpeg

I had a 31 mm at one point and loved it but ultimately prefer my 36 mm. I have small small wrists like you too. I got used to my 36 mm and think it looks perfect!

WRT the dials : it’s expensive but you can have Rolex (or an unofficial luxury watch store that does dial changes frequently) change it to a diamond dial if you prefer. Or wait for a 36 mm model that has the dial you like.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I briefly had a (35 mm?) two tone ywchtmaster and i didn’t love it to be honest. I really wanted a sporty watch and got the yacht master as an impulse purchase. I realized I preferred the other rolex sporty models like the submariner (which doesn’t cost much more as I recall but has a larger dial)

I ended up selling it and getting my holy grail, a 36 mm vintage Yellow gold daydate rolex.

To your original 31 mm vs 36 mm question:
I think the 36 mm is fresh and young looking and looks gorg on you!!

I don’t think the big watch thing is a fad. we’ve had big watches around now for women for maybe 15 years….I think watches have just gotten bigger over time ‍♀️…see the evolution of watches over the last 100 years for both men and women.

That being said it doesn’t rly matter how style has evolved. You need to love it! :)

I would love to see your 36mm YG DD!! That is the ultimate baller watch :D:D And completely agree on all your points re watch style, size, and personal preference.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock

LOVE this on you!! It looks so good - you should definitely add it to the luxury watches thread! Thanks for the pics :kiss2::kiss2:

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
I love the Yachtmaster. My ultimate dream watch is the 37mm Everose with the black strap (if I win the lottery, of course)!

southernlights

Rough_Rock
Hi! I would love to keep hearing any more opinions about the 31 vs 36 as well (not to threadjack). But I’m having the exact debate as Arabellan (if watches ever come back in stock). I’m bt a 31 and 36 mm tt dj. 6.25” wrist. More casual lifestyle, mid 40s, currently wear a 32 mm. Lean towards 36 but don’t want to look like I’m wearing a giant watch and I’m worried watches are trending smaller again. But a 31 seems so small! (And wanting a fluted bezel but sure am smitten by the diamond bezel in a 31- is that too much? Sales person had one on and it was stunning. But don’t know if fluted is the safer way to go). Thanks for letting me add on to the post- I trust everyone’s opinions on here!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I would love to keep hearing any more opinions about the 31 vs 36 as well (not to threadjack). But I’m having the exact debate as Arabellan (if watches ever come back in stock). I’m bt a 31 and 36 mm tt dj. 6.25” wrist. More casual lifestyle, mid 40s, currently wear a 32 mm. Lean towards 36 but don’t want to look like I’m wearing a giant watch and I’m worried watches are trending smaller again. But a 31 seems so small! (And wanting a fluted bezel but sure am smitten by the diamond bezel in a 31- is that too much? Sales person had one on and it was stunning. But don’t know if fluted is the safer way to go). Thanks for letting me add on to the post- I trust everyone’s opinions on here!

I do think watches are trending smaller, so I personally would go with a 31 as it will stand the test of time and trends being a mid-size woman's watch. I'd say fluted is better if you are mostly casual, but I agree that the diamond bezels are beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results