shape
carat
color
clarity

London hit again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
What???!!!!!!!
6.gif
I''m turning the TV on now, are you serious? OMG.......

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
This is terrible, so deja vu.....it looks like they tried to do it the exact same way as two weeks ago. Luckily it looks like no casualties. This makes me so angry and very sad....
39.gif
29.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turning on tube now, thanks for the heads up.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have been watching this, I am hoping that they keep calling it an incident and dont have to make the announcement that their was another attack.
15.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
7.gif
Terrible. Sad and terrible.
7.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
7.gif
29.gif

Heather

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is horrible, and it''s practically impossible to stop it from happening. No city has enough police to check everyone who gets onto a bus or subway. No transit authority can afford to hire enough security guards, either.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Our fellow PS''er and my dear PS pal (colored gem stone lover) Gale is in London now!!! OMIGOD! I''ve not heard from her since she left on Sunday...I am sure she is OK....yikes....she ususally emails me when she is abraod too.....now I don''t feel so well

sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh I hope Gale is ok. How about Lord Summerisle, I think he lives outside of the city. This is just awful, I can''t stand it!!!!
29.gif
39.gif
38.gif

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
7.gif
This just makes me so sick.
7.gif

Hoping PS Londoners are ok.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am pretty sure Lord S doesnt live/work in London but I think he has family that does.
15.gif
This just makes me so sad, it must be awful to fear the trasnport you use to go to work everyday.
8.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,

seems thankfully no one has been seriously hurt today... and that the devices failed to go off correctly,

hopefully its this kind of mistake that will lead us to those that orcatsrated this whole thing.

Let us hope Gale and CGN are ok, but like i said reports so far that theres only one person injured, and i dont think it was serious.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband''s aunt is over in London right now on a business trip. She flew over on Sunday and probably was under the same assumption as I that there wasn''t much chance of another attack so soon
7.gif

Sorry to hear this news.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
You have to be a real lunatic to try and attack a city exactly two weeks after it was already attacked, especially when you try to do it THE EXACT SAME WAY!
29.gif

I hope everyone is ok, Londoners as well as everyone else in the world who is a target to these a***oles are in my thoughts....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you''re ok Lord Summerisle.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Who else is wondering if this was a test to see how quickly the police and rescue forces would react?
32.gif
A test to see what would happen....smoke bombs are still dangerous but something is feeling not finsihed to me.
15.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
Terrrorists - I wish they''d all just go and blow themselves up and leave the innocent people alone! How non deserving to be called human beings they are!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" As we go to and fro in this peaceful country with it''s decent, orderly people going about their business under free institutions and with so much tolerance and fair play in their laws and customs, it is startling and fearful to realize that we are no longer safe in our island home."

Sir Winston Churchill.

Sad to say so many years later, nothing much changes.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Police have shot dead a suspected suicide bomber who was attempting to board a tube at Stockwell, London just after 10am this mornig. Two more tube lines have had their services suspended.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am glad they shot them.....
29.gif
But it is sad that the people of Lodon are having to dela with this, even when they get shot the terror is still their and is still effective.
15.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It just makes me so irate...how would they like it if all of their family members were in one place and IT got bombed? If they''re SO willing to die for their cause themselves...how would they like it if THEIR innocent family members were killed? If they''re so willing to die for their cause...shoot them all.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Londoners are fighting this the best way possible. By letting it disrupt their lives as little as possible.

It is really interesting to study the subject of "Terrorism."

If they are fighting for a change to their own goverment they are called "Insergents" to "Patriots" (i.e. The revolutionary fighters in the American Colonies over 200 years ago would have largly been called terriorist today - not all "attacks" were direct fights with british solders).

It seems that the best defiinition of "Terriorism" is when people attack pure civilian targets in countris other than their own against a country that is not directly enagaged in war with the host country of the people conducting the attack."

Since both the United Kindome (England) and the United States of America (USA) and other countries are directky engaged in warfare in several countries in what is known as the Mid East part of the world - I am forced to admit that citizens of those countries might (and I stress the might) have a ligitimate international law claim to their actions. However, people from other countries would not.

The tactics have not changed that much over the years, and will always be effective untill the general population both starts to ignore it (terrorism does not work if the people are not made afraid) and adopts some changes in the way they go about their business (in Isreal it is quite common for police to inspect all purses, and other packages, and "baggy clothing" all the time).

In some of the most secure work enviroments - where part of the security concern is the carrying of physical objects - it is not uncommon for the workers to wear little clothing while transversing the security entry/exit points (dressing rooms on each side. Clothing / purses / briefcases are either inspected (X-ray and/or physical searched) - or are not allowed to cross the "line". Clothing (uniforms) may be provided on the secure side of the work environment if the company does not wish to inspect the clothing).

I actually thing the the current US method of Airport security is rather poor for what they are trying to accomplish (or rather - I think it would be quite easy to carry through items that could cause a substaintial threat or damage). Certain small threats cannot be eliminated without intensive personal and belongings inspections - and the eliminateion of common items like pens and pencils (i.e. a small dagger type weapon that can cut or penetrate).

I know that many are going to be "horrified" by my implied suggestions; but I sure would feel a lot more secure on an airplain if I knew that everyone on that plane (including the crew) and everyone who had access to the secure side of the airport - had to walk through a metal detector in nothing more than their undies; and that their clothing was X-rayed and or physically inspected. I also think it would be faster than the current method (higher people flow rate) as there would be no need for all of those extra inspections when the detector goes off for a variety of reasons (why is it that the airport detectors go off all the time on my metal buttons, but the one at work (a nuclear facility) does not for the same clothing - and allows me to carry my wallet and pens in my pockets without going off) - what is the airport looking for the the nuclear facility is not?).

This could also be adopted for subways and many train stations.

Of course - it would require the building of more facilities - which can be difficult for existing train and subway stations in many cities.

It does not take that many security people to pull this off as a ratio to passangers with the proper facilities.

Perry

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
on Perry''s definition the crimminals who carried out the bombings the other week are insurgents - they where British, born n Bred in Deepest Yorkshire - in a City called Leeds - which is near to where i work, and 40miles from where i live.

Theres the old saying - "one mans Terrorist is another''s Freedom Fighter"

and its very sad that it is always the innocent lives that suffer in these things (remembers the 2 little boys killed in Warrington by the IRA in the early 90s or the 30 folk killed in Omagh - not to mention those killed by the unionists - or anyone else caught in the crossfire of the ''troubles'')

Let us hope that the man shot today was indeed what the police thought he was.. and a danger to the public, not an innocent victim. Our police dont carry guns, and when the Armed police are involved there is usually a good reason

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Perry I think you make some vaild point but x-rays wont stop everything, what about ceramic knifes? I used to carry one that looked like a pen when I went jogging at night. Not that I wanted to hurt anyone but I wanted to be able to have something small and light that could hurt someone who tried to hurt me. Everytime I have flown comercially since 9/11 I have been choosen to be searched. I know pack everything is ziploc baggies and I no longer blush when strangers get to see my underclothing on a table. A friend had visted me (by train) and left her special tool for her braces they toook it in case it was a weapon...she was upset but understood. Some poeple get very upset becuase they feel as if they are being singled out all the time. I am female white and 22. The accuarate profile is Middle Easten 17-40 Male. I dont fit in the least but I would rather them cuatios then have anyone else die. Am I the only one who has been in the new GE tubes for the airports....I felt like Maxwell Smart.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Lord Summerdale...glad to hear you''re safe!! We have a question for you...

We are leaving for London in 13 days...this is a BIG trip (we connect to a cruise of the Baltics 4 days later) and all the bombings/attempts has us understandably concerned. some people on our cruise have cancelled the London portion of their trip, but I love London (parents used to live in Richmond) and we still want to go....do you have any advice for us??

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
AChiO,

I''m British and lived in London for six years before moving to NY.

Anyway, from what my London friends are saying, people are trying their best to carry on as usual. Random searches are taking place -- even in restaurants and so on -- but it''s obviously impossible to check the three million commuters who use the tube daily.

I would try and be as vigilant as you can. Perhaps use the overground trains rather than the tube in peak/lunchtime hours. The pattern of the two previous attacks seems to be to hit targets in the north, south, east and west of the capital but the stations chosen have been quite random and not necessarily the busiest/most central ones. My old tube stations -- Bond Street or Marble Arch -- were extremely busy, being that they were tourist/shoppers central, but neither of these were affected.

If I still lived in London (and I may yet be moving back in six months) I would go about my daily business as normal. To hell with these people!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results