shape
carat
color
clarity

30th Birthday Pimp Medallion

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

I had some help with this in Rocky Talky earlier in the year and now finally have my hands on this disco ball after hitting 30 earlier this month.

I had a gap in my jewellery wardrobe for a large necklace or pendant to wear over high necked clothing, especially work wear. I came up with a few designs and ended up going ahead with this one because the idea of somthing abstractly galaxy inspired appealed to me, maybe because my husband and I watch a lot of sifi or because thinking about how tiny we are in this big universe feels peaceful to me, or because space and the universe can be so stunningly beautiful...

Anyway, the pendant excluding the bail is 30mm in diameter (for my 30th), the centre is a .30ct H SI1 (again, 30th), the other stones are I-J SI and the TDW is just over 2cts (because the original 3ctw design would have blown the budget big time!) Made in HK via the company I work for in New Zealand. It’s 18ct wg and HEAVY, I can’t remember the weight (and can’t be bothered finding the valuation) but trying to rest it on flowers to take some quick photos Ended up being a bit hard on both my pendant when it hit whatever was below and the poor flowers!

The chain is temporary and is a triple strand oval belcher , 45cm +5cm extension, rhodium plated sterling silver. A forever chain won’t happen for a while as we have other priorities but will probably be DBTY inspired.

I’m not 100% in love, I think mostly I feel guilty about spending so much when there are loads of other things the money could have been spent on.

Anyway, definitely not everyone’s cup of tea but here it is, a big sparkly pimp medallion!
5AAECA1D-17C1-425E-AB3D-7953C59B9A8B.jpeg 34C9015E-3E0C-4018-958E-95B4E7058B80.jpeg EE687181-2A5F-45C0-869F-D1391C1E8D00.jpeg 62869033-E703-4835-BAFD-BEE30B7BD14B.jpeg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. I’m sorry you don’t love it. It would be amazing with a dbty chain.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! #pimpmedallion

ETA: ...but I only love it if you consistently refer to it as your "pimp medallion" - HA!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! I laughed at the 'pimp medallion' then laughed even harder at your first two pictures. The imagery was perfect! I have a medallion too, not nearly as pretty, and wear it constantly. From now on, it's a pimp medallion too! You should start a PM thread!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very pretty! I think the design is classic enough that it would never go out of style, and I love a larger pendant that could be worn short or long. I'd love it on a 30-35" chain!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Your thread title sucked me in like a black hole (sorry for bad space analogies). I think the medallion is bright and beautiful like its inspiration. I love that it smashes flowers with its weight, definitely heirloom quality. Agree, you should wear it on a longer chain with an arty-boho tunic. I hope it grows on you!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
i love it! I have always wanted a large pendant with a long chain, it goes with everything! I was going to buy a magic Alhambra necklace with the long chain but I’d rather have diamonds so a long necklace like this will be in the future some day! I love the design, great taste!

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's gorgeous! Reminds me of a galaxy? I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think the necklace looks a bit odd with those flowers? Are they lilies? The yellow center is very distracting LOL!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I think it’s gorgeous! Neck shots, please!

Last edited:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Haha, thanks everyone!
The Lily’s are a little phallic but I figured that was fitting. Also my jewellery photography options have been limited by my years of garden neglect :lol:

You’ve all inspired me, I’m going to chuck this onto a long silver chain and see if it gets a bit more love. I’d like to eventually get a DBTY style chain which could be long or worn doubled up with or without the pendant. One day!

@suzanne2 I would love to see your pimp medallion! I have always wanted a big coin pendant on a long chain so I guess I do love the look. I’m not sure a “show me your pimp medallion” thread would get a lot of participants :bigsmile:

I’ll work on neck shots for the near future. I sort of wish I was tiny so this thing would look absurdly MASSIVE, that would be awesome ;)2

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh you guys are awesome! Just chucked it on a long silver chain and it looks So. Freakin. Cool!
So much more stylish, effortless and elegant.

And much, much more like a diamond encrusted pimp medallion!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i love it! I have always wanted a large pendant with a long chain, it goes with everything! I was going to buy a magic Alhambra necklace with the long chain but I’d rather have diamonds so a long necklace like this will be in the future some day! I love the design, great taste!

Same, I ordered and returned a Magic Alhamabra long necklace. I love long pendants, though, and I do think I will have one custom made.

Oh my gosh you guys are awesome! Just chucked it on a long silver chain and it looks So. Freakin. Cool!
So much more stylish, effortless and elegant.

And much, much more like a diamond encrusted pimp medallion!

As soon as you said it was 30mm, I thought it was the perfect size for a long chain! I am SO happy you tried that and like it!!!:appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this! It’s such a cool design! Another vote for a DBTY chain when you get to that stage, as that would just finish it off & tie the chain in beautifully. In the meantime, we need neck shots so that we can see the scale of this bad boy!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
That's such a cool medallion. I love hefty jewellery. This amuses me too - my brother has always said of my diamond that he thinks it's like a little miniature galaxy... So if each diamond is it's own galaxy, that's quite the universe you have there.

Love it.

Now you've changed the chain please show us updated pictures. Although - please make sure the chain and the clasp can cope with the weight! You may benefit from an additional safety clasp or something...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! I think it makes a great long pendant...something everyone needs in their wardrobe (for higher necklines). I have one and its also on a SS
chain (thanks to the price of gold) and will probably never switch the chain out because I like the color. I can imagine just holding it in my hand
all day and staring at it. Would make it hard to be productive! Wear it in good health!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful pendant!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully! :appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful. Plus to have a nice large bling piece to wear over sweaters or dresses is awesome. I think it is timeless and not over the top flashy. I like the double chain and may borrow that idea for some pendants that have too thin of a chain.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turned out absolutely perfectly, love it :love:

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
Hmm, this gives me ideas for a diamond pendant that I have that I rarely wear. It looks to be about the same size but mine has more of a spiral design. I need a new longer, heavier chain - does anybody know a good place to buy one? I love the idea of rhodium plated sterling silver, hadn't thought of that.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wowee! It’s gorgeous, what a great design and I love the galaxy references.
Enjoy wearing it, it’s amazing.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s awesome!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your kind words :bigsmile:
DH is taking me out tonight so obviously I’ll plan my outfit around my jewellery and I’ll try to get him to take some pictures for scale.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yes please pictures of it on the long chain with your outfit!!

I think its lovely and would look fabulous on a sturdier yellow gold chain that is 16" or a super long silver one (:

Pretty! Pretty!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm cracking up here with "pimp medallion". It's really going to be beautiful and eye-catching.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I loved the before so I can’t wait to see it with the different chain! Wear it in good health!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Real life perspective. DH didn’t take anything closer so I might have to have another go later. Have blacked out my face, 85% because it looked a bit stupid in this photo, 15% for privacy :lol:

For perspective I’m about 176cm tall (5 feet 9 inches) and NZ/AUS size 14 (US 12 I think) and very large in the chest department, so in general not a small human.
I think 30mm is big enough to hold its own and not so big that it dosn’t work on a shorter chain.
DBEAD185-0879-424B-839E-F1FAD37A9159.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E166C48-91EB-4711-9AC0-00C8E8E41440.jpeg
    8E166C48-91EB-4711-9AC0-00C8E8E41440.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 16

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Real life perspective. DH didn’t take anything closer so I might have to have another go later. Have blacked out my face, 85% because it looked a bit stupid in this photo, 15% for privacy :lol:

For perspective I’m about 176cm tall (5 feet 9 inches) and NZ/AUS size 14 (US 12 I think) and very large in the chest department, so in general not a small human.
I think 30mm is big enough to hold its own and not so big that it dosn’t work on a shorter chain.
DBEAD185-0879-424B-839E-F1FAD37A9159.jpeg

It's quite the statement piece especially when you're in such a nice all-black outfit!

I know you say you're not a small human but it looks quite dainty actually, which isn't a bad thing. Obviously cameras don't easily capture the light play off things like that so I suspect the flashes give it a lot of additional presence.

Looks nice with a single chain! Where does the three chain version fall?

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Looks nice with a single chain! Where does the three chain version fall?

The triple chain is much higher on the chest, 45cm sits comfortably on my chest rather that on my bust.
I’ll work on a photo.

Youre right, on the long chain it moves more so the disco ball factor gives it more presence that you see in this photo. It dosn’t look “dainty” in person but it dosn’t look over the top either. A slightly bigger pendant would have also worked long but would probably have looked a bit over the top short.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results