shape
carat
color
clarity

30K EC and split pave help needed...

Bmoore

Rough_Rock
High guys, typical introduction here, I've been married for 23 years and finally decided she's the one (ha ha)... When we got married she only got a gold band and its time to get her a ring that she should have gotten a long time ago.... Been reading a lot on PC to get a better understanding on diamonds and such but would really appreciate your opinions and guidance.... So i have a budget of $30K and would like to find an EC diamond around 3 carats and have been looking at split pave bands but the only only ones i found that we like is the Cartier one, but i think its been discontinued.....

Untitled-3.jpg

And also the Leon Mege versions

r5984wx.jpg

So here's my dilemma... I would like to buy the stone from a vender that understands emerald cuts and can find a great performer at say 25K and then then that gives me 5k for the setting. If the setting ends up costing less than i would put the money saved toward the diamond. I can't find a setting that i like pre made so i might have to have one made but not sure if the place i buy the diamond from is the place i want to make the setting?
Here's a pic of one that comes close but i know nothing about the vendor or the setting

Radiant Cut Ring Setting Split Shank Engagement Ring Micro

Radiant Pave Split Shank — ETERNAL FINE JEWELS

Open to suggestions on how a guy should tackle this. I know 30 grand is not a lot to some of you but i sure dont want to screw up on this project ...Im just trying to get the most out of my money with something of good quality and value ....Does $25k limit me to a not so great diamond at 3 carats? If any one has a leads on a setting that would be wonderful and if you know of a diamond that is a real special performer for the $ a link would be great..... Brian

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome! Great budget!

Did you contact Leon and ask what he could do? If you like his work, it is worth an inquiry.

cheers--Sharon

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
High guys, typical introduction here, I've been married for 23 years and finally decided she's the one (ha ha)... When we got married she only got a gold band and its time to get her a ring that she should have gotten a long time ago.... Been reading a lot on PC to get a better understanding on diamonds and such but would really appreciate your opinions and guidance.... So i have a budget of $30K and would like to find an EC diamond around 3 carats and have been looking at split pave bands but the only only ones i found that we like is the Cartier one, but i think its been discontinued.....

Untitled-3.jpg

And also the Leon Mege versions

r5984wx.jpg

So here's my dilemma... I would like to buy the stone from a vender that understands emerald cuts and can find a great performer at say 25K and then then that gives me 5k for the setting. If the setting ends up costing less than i would put the money saved toward the diamond. I can't find a setting that i like pre made so i might have to have one made but not sure if the place i buy the diamond from is the place i want to make the setting?
Here's a pic of one that comes close but i know nothing about the vendor or the setting

Radiant Cut Ring Setting Split Shank Engagement Ring Micro

Radiant Pave Split Shank — ETERNAL FINE JEWELS

Open to suggestions on how a guy should tackle this. I know 30 grand is not a lot to some of you but i sure dont want to screw up on this project ...Im just trying to get the most out of my money with something of good quality and value ....Does $25k limit me to a not so great diamond at 3 carats? If any one has a leads on a setting that would be wonderful and if you know of a diamond that is a real special performer for the $ a link would be great..... Brian
Hi, and welcome! $25K for a 3 carat emerald cut diamond might be tricky, but not impossible. It really depends on how low in color you're willing to go (you'll want to keep clarity to VS2 or better with an emerald cut). I'd reach out to ID Jewelry and Good Old Gold; both of them tend to do a great job at bringing in nice step-cuts and both can create a setting for you. If you call IDJ I'd recommend asking for Yekutiel and tell him you're from PriceScope. Give him your budget and desired specs and see what he can come up with. You can always post the photos/information here for us to chime in on =)2

As @canuk-gal mentioned, Leon Mege would make a gorgeous ring but my guess is he'd be out of your price range for that size. It doesn't hurt to check though! Another one who might be able to help is Victor Canera (but probably the same price range issue)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My asscher came from blue nile and my setting from CVB Inspired Design

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not going to quibble with the choice of emerald cut diamonds at the Art of Platinum ...

Please pass by to post the inevitably brilliant choice of a diamond & wonderful ring to be !

2c

__

I wish you were after an Asscher ! ...

Bmoore

Rough_Rock
Yep ive thought about LM and VC but i think i would be out of there price range.... I know you can always pay more but hoping to find a real performer that maybe didn't look so hot on the grading report but was a surprise when seen in person.... If nothing comes up might have to either increase my budget or decrease the size of the stone....

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best I can find are "I" color in the 3 carat range for about $26k.
Did find 1 H/VS1 but does have a spec on the table (probably still eye-clean).

Would you be ok with an "I" color or would you rather go down in size?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might sooner find something that looks nice in a video despite whatever you might make of its report ...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep ive thought about LM and VC but i think i would be out of there price range.... I know you can always pay more but hoping to find a real performer that maybe didn't look so hot on the grading report but was a surprise when seen in person.... If nothing comes up might have to either increase my budget or decrease the size of the stone....

Everyone is looking for the same. A great performer. I would.

Thing is you can't rule any vendor out until you see what they have to offer. Don't limit yourself (out of the gate).

ETA--on pre loved forum:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-carat-3-stone-emerald-cut-ring.228228/

cheers--Sharon

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

About size & weight & price & grades ...

I wouldn't mind this - 3 cts I VVS 9.5 X 7 mm - except for a neighbouring listing of rather similar size - 2.5 cts E VVS 9.6 X 6.6 mm with a higher L/W which I tend to prefer (28 K either).

The videos exagerate colour, methinks & blacken-out contrast patterns in EC .-( ... I am trying to guess what ASET would tell & what these things might look like ...

__

edited to add: no guessing remins to be done for @canuk-gal 's sugestion !

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After waiting 23 years, I think you'd want to have a fabulous stone more than a stone as big as possible. And 25k will get you a lovely, large stone - tho not 3ct. Emeralds show color, and they sure as heck show inclusions. So unless you want something 'earthy'. 'rustic' or 'warm', I'd stay with a G color or above, and a VS1 or better. Good Old Gold would probably be my pick to hunt you down a terrific stone, but JamesAllen.com and BlueNile.com would be worth looking at, just to see what's on offer for what price.

And if you DO like warm - there's always *this* - which would be my pick. I mean - seriously..... :o Yowza!!

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/3-12ct-vintage-emerald-cut-gia-k-vvs1/

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After waiting 23 years, I think you'd want to have a fabulous stone more than a stone as big as possible. And 25k will get you a lovely, large stone - tho not 3ct. Emeralds show color, and they sure as heck show inclusions. So unless you want something 'earthy'. 'rustic' or 'warm', I'd stay with a G color or above, and a VS1 or better. Good Old Gold would probably be my pick to hunt you down a terrific stone, but JamesAllen.com and BlueNile.com would be worth looking at, just to see what's on offer for what price.

And if you DO like warm - there's always *this* - which would be my pick. I mean - seriously..... :o Yowza!!

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/3-12ct-vintage-emerald-cut-gia-k-vvs1/

Nice pick! FWIW, I saw a large K colored emerald cut at a high end shop near by and I was gobsmacked--as to the color. I don't know what I thought a "K emerald cut" should look like but it didn't look like what I imagined. It was "colorless" to me!

cheers--Sharon

Bmoore

Rough_Rock
Lots of good ideas floating around here . When i use the PriecScope diamond search and use these parameters i come up with 43 diamonds

43 Emerald diamonds 2.9-3.2 carat, $1-$28000, G-I color, VS1-VS2 clarity, EX-n/a HCA, labs: GIA

Diamond Search Results | Real-time Information on 450,000+ Diamonds | PriceScope

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]Dont know if theres a glimmer of hope in the list or not.... The James Allen one posted above seems like a real possibility ....[/FONT]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of those 43 dont have images so not a good choice and some of those 43 are duplicates. (Stones are owned by someone but listed on several
sites.)

These might be worth a further look...request aset images
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/I-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41171015 I* like this one the best...did not come from your list
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/I-VVS2-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41136861 I also like this one..tad bigger than prev stone...it did not come up in your list
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/3....t-Emerald-Diamond/D40985956?&refer=pricescope
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/3....t-Emerald-Diamond/D40961355?&refer=pricescope eye clean?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut-loose-diamond-3931870.htm?source=pricescope need video
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3376993 not bad...has something on the table

Hope I got all those straight. I had a lot of windows open at once. Looks

Pay more attention to lxw than carat weight. Try to NOT have huge tables. I* did not check the numbers on any of these stones.
What to look for (or what I* look for)...
- you want to see the facets flashing (on/off) all the way down into the center of the stone
- not too many facets off (dark) at the same time
- I like to see similar size steps (not big and small mixed)
- nice shape/nice windmills - some can be wonky or distracting

What size finger does your wife have? We can show you virtually what size these stones will look on her finger.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure your wife is on board with your setting selection/design. With EC for me it is all about cut (maximum brilliance/sparkle and minimal bow tie) and clarity (flaws can not be hidden as well). As such I would put the money in the stone and opt for a simple setting.

globaltravel

Rough_Rock
Hi Bmoore - have you tried having a good jeweller source some for you? PSers here recently have found very nice ECs working with GOG and IDJ. I have worked with both in the past on other projects and recently got an EC through IDJ that was terrific. I posted that thread here back a few months ago.

Also, one other thing maybe stating the obvious is to look at dimensions rather than only carat weight like examples outline by valeria101. Mine is 2.72 G VS2 but faces up quite big at 9.83 x 6.63 since it’s not a deep stone so doesn’t carry so much weight there. It was materially below your budget for a stone.

Good luck!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my asscher in a $500 platinum solitare setting for 4 years before I reset it. So maybe that could be an idea?

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My question is just a basic check in: does your wife want an emerald cut, did she choose the shape? And did she express a desire for such a large stone?

Many women are uncomfortable with large diamonds (outside of PS and celebrity circles) and going from a band to a huge rock is a big change.

Finally I adore split shanks, but pave is delicate. And split shanks don't flatter everyone. And they can be hard to wear bands with.

After 25 years of partnership I just want to make sure that you are spending your large budget on her dream ring with her input. So that you are both happy with your purchase.

:wavey:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I don't wear bands with my split shank.

Bmoore

Rough_Rock
Some of those 43 dont have images so not a good choice and some of those 43 are duplicates. (Stones are owned by someone but listed on several
sites.)

These might be worth a further look...request aset images
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/I-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41171015 I* like this one the best...did not come from your list
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/I-VVS2-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41136861 I also like this one..tad bigger than prev stone...it did not come up in your list
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/3....t-Emerald-Diamond/D40985956?&refer=pricescope
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/3....t-Emerald-Diamond/D40961355?&refer=pricescope eye clean?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut-loose-diamond-3931870.htm?source=pricescope need video
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3376993 not bad...has something on the table

Hope I got all those straight. I had a lot of windows open at once. Looks

Pay more attention to lxw than carat weight. Try to NOT have huge tables. I* did not check the numbers on any of these stones.
What to look for (or what I* look for)...
- you want to see the facets flashing (on/off) all the way down into the center of the stone
- not too many facets off (dark) at the same time
- I like to see similar size steps (not big and small mixed)
- nice shape/nice windmills - some can be wonky or distracting

What size finger does your wife have? We can show you virtually what size these stones will look on her finger.

Thanks for the info her finger is a size 7

Bmoore

Rough_Rock
Hi Bmoore - have you tried having a good jeweller source some for you? PSers here recently have found very nice ECs working with GOG and IDJ. I have worked with both in the past on other projects and recently got an EC through IDJ that was terrific. I posted that thread here back a few months ago.

Also, one other thing maybe stating the obvious is to look at dimensions rather than only carat weight like examples outline by valeria101. Mine is 2.72 G VS2 but faces up quite big at 9.83 x 6.63 since it’s not a deep stone so doesn’t carry so much weight there. It was materially below your budget for a stone.

Good luck!

Yes a call will be in order to the vendors listed... Thanks for the dimensions vs carat weight tip

My question is just a basic check in: does your wife want an emerald cut, did she choose the shape? And did she express a desire for such a large stone?

Many women are uncomfortable with large diamonds (outside of PS and celebrity circles) and going from a band to a huge rock is a big change.

Finally I adore split shanks, but pave is delicate. And split shanks don't flatter everyone. And they can be hard to wear bands with.

After 25 years of partnership I just want to make sure that you are spending your large budget on her dream ring with her input. So that you are both happy with your purchase.

:wavey:

Yep she wants an emerald cut and would like a larger stone. She will not be wearing a band with the ring.... I think after all these years without a diamond she wants something larger than the 1-2 carat rings out there ...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes a call will be in order to the vendors listed... Thanks for the dimensions vs carat weight tip

Yep she wants an emerald cut and would like a larger stone. She will not be wearing a band with the ring.... I think after all these years without a diamond she wants something larger than the 1-2 carat rings out there ...

Wonderful. =)2
My congratulations on your 23 years of marriage and my best wishes for 23 more to come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results