shape
carat
color
clarity

How to take a digital picture of an e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tony S.

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering if there was any special setting you have to use on your digital camera to be able to take a picture of an e-ring. I have a 5.0 mega pixel Sony camera and I have issues focusing at a close range. Can anyone help me out?

s95

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a macro button? Mine is a button that I push and it has a flower on it. It allows you to do close-up shots. Hope that helps.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you need to find your macro (close up) setting. you can read the manual or just experiment by cycling through the different modes.
i.e. you may have a button with a mountain or flower beside it...start there and you should find one that will focus on very close objects. (sometimes tooo close!
20.gif
) good luck!

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
In addition to using the macro setting try setting the camera up on a tripod or something sturdy, in Macro mode it''s hard to take pictures because if you aren''t steady with it, they don''t come out very well.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need lots of light, very little or no shadowing, a high F stop to increase depth of field, and a tripod or other mount to allow sufficient shutter time for the high F stop.....Some cameras just don''t have a high enough F stop to work well with jewelry photo work even with 5 megapixels. SOme don''t have a sufficiently close-up lens situation to work well.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Once you get the focusing down, also try taking photos with out the flash.
Good luck!

Tony S.

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your responses...if only my staff responded to my questioins as quickly as everyone on here I would have to work a lot less myself...lol.

I guess I should learn to read the directions...I am a typical guy...

Thanks again!

burnban35

Rough_Rock

Tony -

I have a Sony 5.0 mega pixel and have had the same problems as you. I have also tried the same advice you have been given. My pictures still aren''t coming out quite right this is the best I''ve gotten so far. Please let me know how you do. I''d be interested in trying a different approach if you find one. I can''t seem to capture the Hearts & Arrows that other people have been able to.

Thanks,
Michelle

DSC003932.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey burnban,
cool maitre ''d pic!
36.gif

to capture the arrows, you''ll need some ambient backlighting. you might try holding the ring in front of a window that has very indirect sunlight and don''t use the flash. the key to clear pics is having both the camera and the subject very still. not using a flash makes this even more important.
keep taking pics and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results