shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your money saving tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
With the living cost on the rise (food, gas, housing etc..) please share your money saving tips.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
non-brand name food fills your belly just as well as the expensive stuff and even tastes better sometimes.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Clipping/using coupons can save money and going to supermarkets that use "club cards" will also save money on items you would''ve purchased anyway...we save about $50 per shopping trip!!

To save on electricity bills, we installed ceiling fans and use those as much as possible instead of running the A/C 24/7...if it gets too hot, then the A/C will come on, but more times than not, it is really comfortable with just the fans.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Going through the weekly cupons I am mailed, turning off the AC when I am not home (I live in AL and this saves me about 8$ a month) bring a calculator with you to the store so you can add up what you are spending...PLUS TAX. Make a lists of what groceries you need for the week rewrite the list in the order of where they are in the store, stick to your list and dont go down aisles you dont need to. If you have the time make a notebook of how much things costs at differents stores for your most commonly bought items (IE bleach, toothpaste, TP, Diet Coke whatever...) I find that if I have a set budget for everything in my life from power to trash to pets to school supplies that I stick to it. Beucase you are able to see that spending an extra 3 dollars on crackers that you dont need will mena that money has to come from the money you had intened to spend somewhere else or worse your savings....

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is easy. I buy as many of my purchases as I possibly can at Walmart (household stuff). I also NEVER buy anything unless it''s on sale. I use coupons. I shop around to find which gas station is cheapest. I use generic and store brand whenever possible, especially when it comes to drug store stuff. I also take my own snacks and drinks when I take the kids to the pool, the park, the ball game, etc. It''s a LOT cheaper than the snack bar food. I''m a very parsimonious person.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Don''t buy jewelry (sorry couldn''t resist
11.gif
2.gif
)

Seriously, we''ve been cutting back on eating out--it really adds up and is wasteful.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
We bought a fancy programmable thermostat thing to lower the temperature during the day but bring back down right before we get home. No matter where we live - that thing goes with us like furniture.

I wash laundry in cold
32.gif
the majority of the time. Never wash with just hot.
29.gif

I make crockpot dishes on Sunday that last through at least Tuesday. Now that we've moved from Chicago we both work <2 miles from work so we eat lunch at home.
3.gif

Mark cuts my hair (think Halle Berry) can't really screw it up. Even if it's slightly off it's kinda funky.
10.gif

I trade books with friends instead of buying new.
34.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2005 2:01:48 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
Don''t buy jewelry (sorry couldn''t resist
11.gif
2.gif
)

Seriously, we''ve been cutting back on eating out--it really adds up and is wasteful.
Before I even saw this, Jen, my first thought was "stay away from Pricescope....!" but since we CAN''T do that.............Seriously, really think about all of the little things you buy ...ask yourself whether you really need it....I am cleaning out "stuff" and am thinking that I wished I had put those few $$ away here and there, and I could have more for another piece of jewelry or something else important.....Also try to save in any kind of retirement/pretax if possible account you might have...it can really add up.

Also agree with the eating out thing, especially if you are trying to cut down the amount that you eat!!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
One of the best things I did was have my pay checks done by direct deposit. Instead of going to the bank and taking out an amount automatically, I don''t withdraw unless I need to. When I''d take the money out automatically, I''d spend a lot more just because I had it laying around.

Besides that...Stop eating out! I can''t believe how much money I save when I don''t eat out. Seriously...bringing my own lunch to work makes a huge difference! I figure $5 lunch, minimum x 5 days a week, that''s at least $25 I havent spent. Also, with the current gas prices and how I need to drive with the AC on because it is so hot, I try to take public trans. Oh, and with my credit card, i recieve money back on each purchase, and 5% back on groceries, drugstores & gas...so I do charge a lot and just make sure it is paid in full at the end of the month.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
This comment isn''t exactly how to save money on everyday household expenses, just a comment regarding saving money.

If you work for a company that has a 401K plan really think long and hard about participating. If your company''s 401K has any sort of matching feature, participating should be really high on your priority list, at least up to the amount of the company match. For example, if the 401k plan will match 50% of your contribution, up to 3%, then you would want to contribute 6% of your gross income and your company will contribute another 3% of your total income. Always pay yourself in way of savings before you get paid and you will have a nice little nest egg come retirement!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
How did I KNOW JFo was going to say that! NO joke. And I agree, eating out is a killer. Lunch during the week is a killer. And get your change back from the lunch guy LOL. He never gives me my change :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Give up your starbucks coffee, wash laundry in cold water, eat out less and buy as much as you can at Costco.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bummer--Jen took my "don''t by diamonds" suggestion
2.gif
11.gif
!!!!

Enjoy good quality but less expensive wines--there are some fab. buys @ $10 that are very tasty (OK Noobie will have it out with me here
3.gif
).

If your public transportation is safe and accessible, try using it more often.

And coupons, coupons , coupons!!! I also like the 10% off Tuesday at Safeway--always shop there the first Tue of the months for this nice savings.

Take your and your kids gently used clothing to consignment places--and recoop some $$. They loves designer stuff--it holds it''s value!!

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2005 2:17:47 PM
Author: Blue824

Besides that...Stop eating out! I can''t believe how much money I save when I don''t eat out. Seriously...bringing my own lunch to work makes a huge difference! I figure $5 lunch, minimum x 5 days a week, that''s at least $25 I havent spent. Also, with the current gas prices and how I need to drive with the AC on because it is so hot, I try to take public trans. Oh, and with my credit card, i recieve money back on each purchase, and 5% back on groceries, drugstores & gas...so I do charge a lot and just make sure it is paid in full at the end of the month.
i know what you mean. it cost me about $600-650 per month.
38.gif
eating out for lunch every day. 4 days per week for dinner.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2005 3:29:32 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Enjoy good quality but less expensive wines--there are some fab. buys @ $10 that are very tasty (OK Noobie will have it out with me here
3.gif
).

cheers--Sharon
No, I actually agree with you. A good bottle of wine is a treat. Remember, my consumption is only about a bottle every couple of weeks.

The eating out suggestion and avoiding the morning Starbucks and pastry routine is an easy way to save fast, plus you probably get the benefit of eating better.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2005 3:21:53 PM
Author: kaleigh
Give up you starbucks coffee, wash laundry in cold water, eat out less and buy as much as you can at Costco.
yep,i have that problem too.
38.gif
the problem with Costco is that i would end up buying something that i didn''t expect to buy...like a swarovski crystal piece.
38.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My girl friends and I sometimes do a dinner swap week. We all discuss and plan to make 1 item each...but in a large enough quantity to share. Then we all swap. So I make 5 family size servings of the same dish (which means I can buy stuff in bulk) I give away 4 of the family size servings and get 1 family style serving from each of my friends. Saves on money and time cooking :)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Starbucks...dining out...running the AC...

Egads. I am doing everything wrong.

If you spendy-ideal-scope me I''ve got terrible leakage!
7.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
everything adds up, 4 cell phones,internet service,cable tv.
6.gif
my parents didn''t have these bills.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is the cook and recently got a great vegetarian cookbook he has been trying out recipes. The last couple months we have been using the cookbook to make a couple different dishes each week that last. We are eating delicious meals that are good for us and spending less money at the same time.
We also switched groceries to a lower cost grocery. For the things we buy we were surprised that the quality wasn''t any lower, just the cost. However for meat and seafood we still splurge and and get it at Whole Foods.

We love to eat out, it is one of those joys in life that is worth it, but we try to keep it in moderation.

My husband and I have decided that Costco does NOT save us money. If you examine the prices per oz etc you will find most of that stuff is the same price or cheaper at Walmart or Target! plus you cannot get out of there without spending $150 bucks.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
i reserve movies and books from my local library. sometimes i have to wait to get a new release but it''s free!

anytime i want to make a purchase (from makeup to big ticket items) I price compare on the internet and check ebay first as well. I figure in tax/shipping and see if purchasing via internet is a better deal.

i scour the internet too for free samples! there are some good websites that have links to free stuff. That way I can try before I buy and not waste money there, and the sample helps to stretch my supply.

i love the dollar store, cleaning supplies, paper towels, etc. cant beat it.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My dh''s philosophy is if you don''t go out, you don''t spend money. We save a lot of gas money, food money, and entertainment money by just staying home. It''s not like we don''t have any fun...we take the kids to parks within walking distance, pack a picnic lunch, and hang out for a whole day. Sometimes we hang out at our pool (you stay cool, and it''s cheap). As for movies, we signed up for unlimited rental at Blockbuster, and it''s $25 a month a believe, and we rent at least 2-4 movies a week. We knew that once we had kids, we''d go out less, so we thought ahead, and bought a 57" TV, so we have a home theater with surround sound, and all we need is a couple bags of microwave popcorn and we''re set.

I also work <1 mile from home, so I go home to eat every day. Dh''s lunches are expensed because he travels to different job sites everyday. His company also pays for internet connection, long distance phone bills, car, car maintenance, gas for his company car, and our health club membership. Basically, getting a great job with awesome benefits saves money :)

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Geez. I just calculated that, as a couple, we spend close to $800 a week on food. How stupidly insane is that?

(By the way, this isn''t caviar we''re talking -- just a lot of organic takeout, Dean and Deluca lunches and sushi.)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Consingment shops, slightly used vehicles, brown-bag lunches, Visa card with 5% discount on gasoline, programmable thermostat, bleach is a cheap household cleaner, cut my kids hair/husband goes to barber not salon, and eBay is a wonderful thing.
2.gif
9.gif

DiamondLil

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Many good tips so far!

Mine - I would suggest writing down for a week EVERY PENNY you spend. It will become quite clear where you can cut without it being the least bit painful. Many times it''s the little stuff like grabbing a $1.00 coke at the convenience store. I keep a water jug in my car at all times.

Love the tip - stay at home. Lot''s of things can at home can be entertaining. For example, cards & board games. We have been having a blast playing "Apples to Apples" with a large group. We eat at home (cook out) & drink our own wine, etc. Less than 1/2 the cost of eating out! Also, hubby and I are hooked on Rummikub.

Fun thread, I''ll have to think of more. I''m cheap! For example, when I freeze something I wrap it in plastic wrap, alum. foil & bag it in a ziplock. I reuse the ziplocks as nothing has touched them except foil. Yeah, I try to recycle, reuse as much as possible. Saves TONS of money & isn''t hard on the environment.
9.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
You can save yourself a bundle by buying your diamonds NOW, before the next price increase!...large buckets of them!
30.gif
36.gif
17.gif

Ohhhhh, for crying out loud!!!...relax!!!....it was only a joke!!!....back off from the keyboard!!!!...one or two stones is enough!!
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
pay per view at $3.00 each instead of going to the movies at $20.00 for 2 people.

turn off the TV and lights in rooms around the house when you are not using them (i am the worst on this!)

second turning off the A/C...we only run it on very hot days and then get breezes through the windows at night. keep blinds closed during the day so hot sun stays out.

re: eating out...i used to go out and eat lunch all the time with friends..now that i work from home more, i do salads from whole foods and this little local yummi cafe, $6.50 a day for a huge salad, very healthy and fresh ingredients, much better than $10-12 i used to spend on eatingwhoknowswhat.

nix the starbucks and make coffee at home...i enjoy this more actually!

take the train or light rail instead of driving, greg does this about 4 days a week now and saves HUNDREDS of dollars on gas. he works about 45 minutes away so it would be a long drive too...he can read on the train and relaxes more.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
a lot of useful tips....thanks guys!
37.gif

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I just saved $800 by changing the collision deductibles on my two cars and the deductible on my homeowners from $500 to $1000.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Buy I-1 clarity diamonds.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results