shape
carat
color
clarity

3 watches to pick from

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Per Elise''s suggestion, I looked into Longines and really like the dolce vita, of course with diamonds, but it far exceeds my budget. Somehow, I found that Citizen makes 3watches that look similar to a dolce vita model I saw. To my surprise, they both contain diamond accents and have synthetic sapphire watch crystals. I do realize they lack some of the elegance of the dolce vita and will lack some of the finer details that come with a fine watch. Let me know what you think...

This one has what they call a sporty watch band + a white mother of pearl face:
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/EG3050-56D.asp
This one has a more classic watch band with a white face:
http://www.ewatches.com/Citizen/EG3020-57A.html

This one is 2-tone, mother of pearl and the diamonds are in different postions:
http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Diamond-Stiletto-EG3124-51D/dp/B000RIL3RY/ref=sr_1_47/104-5938399-0998363?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1183143341&sr=1-47
I will be wearing this watch in a business casual work environment, wearing suits when required, but not often. Though, I am still considering that crazy Bedat, maybe I will end up buying both (though not at the same time).

Help me decide!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm. I have a citizen I purchased about 5 years ago after being a big Seiko wearer, but honestly I wasn''t all that satisfied with it. I think I paid around $250 for it. My problem was that I banged the face of it accidentally and the crystal cracked. I''m pretty tough on jewelry so I needed something that was more substantial and the citizen didn''t hold up well in my care, lol! Maybe you''ll have better luck, I don''t remember if mind had a synthetic sapphire crystal or not, but i''m guessing it didn''t. As far as the choices you posted, my favorite looks-wise is #1, I think it''s a great shape and I like the diamond accents alongside the face, very streamlined and kind of reminiscent of the Longines.

I love the Bedat you were looking at on SP, it''s a beautiful watch. Also, have you thought about saving for a few months and getting a finer timepiece? I have a Tag Heuer that I just adore, and you can find those for about 30% off retail online. They are beautiful watches and you can get them wet without worry, and they also are substantial enough to stand up to everyday wear and tear. Just some food for thought. #1 is a beautiful choice, though, if you''re set on citizen.

Btw, I didn''t end up having to report to jury duty today...thank you again for your helpful advice on finding my way to the Daley building!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
What happened to the Bedat you were looking at? That is a far better watch than these three? Get the Bedat!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 12:48:37 AM
Author: monarch64
Mmmm. I have a citizen I purchased about 5 years ago after being a big Seiko wearer, but honestly I wasn''t all that satisfied with it. I think I paid around $250 for it. My problem was that I banged the face of it accidentally and the crystal cracked. I''m pretty tough on jewelry so I needed something that was more substantial and the citizen didn''t hold up well in my care, lol! Maybe you''ll have better luck, I don''t remember if mind had a synthetic sapphire crystal or not, but i''m guessing it didn''t. As far as the choices you posted, my favorite looks-wise is #1, I think it''s a great shape and I like the diamond accents alongside the face, very streamlined and kind of reminiscent of the Longines.

I love the Bedat you were looking at on SP, it''s a beautiful watch. Also, have you thought about saving for a few months and getting a finer timepiece? I have a Tag Heuer that I just adore, and you can find those for about 30% off retail online. They are beautiful watches and you can get them wet without worry, and they also are substantial enough to stand up to everyday wear and tear. Just some food for thought. #1 is a beautiful choice, though, if you''re set on citizen.

Btw, I didn''t end up having to report to jury duty today...thank you again for your helpful advice on finding my way to the Daley building!
No problem, I remember what it was like when I had to go to the Daley building. When I had to report for jury duty, it was before I worked in the city, so I was kinda nervous about going to a new place. So, when I read that you were nervous about it, I felt your pain and wanted to do what I could for ya! Now I work very close to the Daley building, so I feel rather silly for being so nervous, since I go in that direction every day.

Regarding the watch purchase, I appreciate your opinions and I kinda feel I am "settling" for a Citizen b/c the price is more reasonable. However, another part of me is saying that I should just go for a "finer" watch because I will use it every day. In other words, my practical & diva sides of myself are not at all in agreement right now! Picture a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. It makes it even harder because I am not in dire straights financially, but I am trying to save up for eventual expenses (e.g., paying off student loans, t-home purchase, etc.).

I have found some nice online watch sites, but if you know of any off hand that you have bought watches through, let me know b/c I am not sold on any of the Citizens yet.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 1:05:30 AM
Author: surfgirl
What happened to the Bedat you were looking at? That is a far better watch than these three? Get the Bedat!
Thanks for your opinion! I have been trying to distract myself with more practical options, too bad it is not working very well, as I am still thinking of the Bedat.
11.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omieluv, overstock carries Tags, so does jomashop, aka worldofwatches.com. Also, DH and I got our Tags from our jeweler in Oak Lawn, I don''t know if that''s a trip you''re willing to take but it''s around 95th and Cicero, they are wonderful and John will give you a great deal. I think they also carry Movado, Orvis(?) and Raymond Weil.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info! Oak Lawn is not all that far of a trip, so if I am ever in need, I will visit him. Anyways, I think my big problem is that I am new to the world of watches, so now I am exploring my options in my rather limited range. It is probably wise for me to go with a nicer watch. I found a few watches I like (in addition to the Bedat):

This one is a Longines Dolce Vita, for a very nice price:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPMHXY/ref=nosim/?tag=dealtime-watches-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000EPMHXY&linkCode=asn

This Movado Gentry (This one has a rather different look for a Movado)
http://www.watchesonnet.com/0605640.html

This Raymond Weil "Tango" (there is also a rectangular version of this available)
http://www.watchesonnet.com/5390-ST-00658.html

This Tag Aquaracer
http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?bo_products_variance_id=60899&rid=Shopping&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=cpc

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Longines, I had looked at those before getting my current watch. The Movado is nice but I''m not a big Movado fan simply because I think they''re overrated and kinda common, no offense to anyone who owns one. I like the RW and Aquaracer as well! Great choices, you have really good taste imo, no wonder you''re having a tough time making a decision! I do agree with you that getting a better timepiece is the way to go. You''ll be much happier with something a little more high-caliber, I think, especially since you''ll be wearing it every day.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 2:48:34 AM
I love the Longines, I had looked at those before getting my current watch. The Movado is nice but I''m not a big Movado fan simply because I think they''re overrated and kinda common, no offense to anyone who owns one. I like the RW and Aquaracer as well! Great choices, you have really good taste imo, no wonder you''re having a tough time making a decision! I do agree with you that getting a better timepiece is the way to go. You''ll be much happier with something a little more high-caliber, I think, especially since you''ll be wearing it every day.
Thanks, but I cannot take all of the credit. I have been searching for watch threads on PS and have found a few that introduced me to several of what are considered "better" watch brands. Since I will be wearing the watch on a daily basis, I want to find one that is solid, yet versitile for the office and home, so I think turning to better watch is the way to go.

I was surprised to see a Longines at that price, but I did some digging and the site only offers a 6 mo warranty (unless they are an authorized dealer, which I am not sure about). The RW is interesting & I seem to like the "tango" line from that brand. The Tag is VERY nice. I cannot put my finger on it, but it looks sporty, yet elegant. Then of course, there is still that Bedat...

It''s so funny, I should be obsessing over diamonds, and here I find myself obsessing over watches.

Elise

Rough_Rock
hey omieluv! my 2cts worth on your choices.

i think the longines is a great buy. reasonably price and quite elegant. should take you from day to night.

the tag is far more sporty. really depends if it matches your personality. i have some friends who own tags which have served them faithfully for more than a decade.

having said all that, if your heart is still set on the bedat, i''ll say go for it! it''s a great price but u may just have to take note of the potential servicing costs involved.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
omieluv, elise brings up a VERY important point! Servicing on high end watches can be several hundred dollars and the turn around time can take a few months depending on which watch house they''re going to and if they need to go back to the "spa" in Switzerland, or can be serviced by the company'' US service center. And while they say they should be serviced every 5 years or so, I am of the ''if it aint broke dont fix it'' mentality. I''m not going to send in my JLC or Rolex until/unless something is really wrong. But if you''re leaning towards the Bedat, call Bedat directly and ask them how much a basic servicing costs and how long it takes and if that style has had any specific issues/problems.

Also, why dont you check out Tourneau? They have a huge pre-owned watch selection and you might be able to get into a watch you hadn''t thought of!
31.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 4:23:51 AM
Author: Elise
hey omieluv! my 2cts worth on your choices.

i think the longines is a great buy. reasonably price and quite elegant. should take you from day to night.

the tag is far more sporty. really depends if it matches your personality. i have some friends who own tags which have served them faithfully for more than a decade.

having said all that, if your heart is still set on the bedat, i''ll say go for it! it''s a great price but u may just have to take note of the potential servicing costs involved.
Hi Elise! I agree, the longines''s style is quite versitile, which makes me think that this one is the most "practical" buy out of the bunch. I feel the same about the Tag, it is sporty, though I can see myself wearing it to work and definitely on weekends. However, I do have a feeling that I may end up wanting a watch for dressier occassions. Not that I am a total clod, but I am not the most graceful of people, perhaps the Tag would be a better "work-horse" for me?! I suppose I can always purchase a modest bracelet watch for the evening later. The bedat is beautiful, however, I am not sure how it will hold up over the long-term (I do have some concern regarding the Longines on the fact as well).

I never thought of servicing a watch before. For many years I have owned a Fossil F2, which I never did much with, other than to change the battery (it is still running like a champ). As you have eluded, perhaps I should figure out how much these watches will cost me in the long run before making my decision. Bedat does have a US based service center in San Francisco, so that could be a good sign. Not sure about Longness or Tag, but since so many people on PS own them, I am sure someone can give me some tips.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 11:50:22 AM
omieluv, elise brings up a VERY important point! Servicing on high end watches can be several hundred dollars and the turn around time can take a few months depending on which watch house they''re going to and if they need to go back to the ''spa'' in Switzerland, or can be serviced by the company'' US service center. And while they say they should be serviced every 5 years or so, I am of the ''if it aint broke dont fix it'' mentality. I''m not going to send in my JLC or Rolex until/unless something is really wrong. But if you''re leaning towards the Bedat, call Bedat directly and ask them how much a basic servicing costs and how long it takes and if that style has had any specific issues/problems.

Also, why dont you check out Tourneau? They have a huge pre-owned watch selection and you might be able to get into a watch you hadn''t thought of!
31.gif
Thanks for your warning regarding servicing. I definitely do not want a watch that will be too expensive for me to service, there would be no point in that. I will check out Turneau, perhaps I will fall in love with another...heh.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as being dressy/sporty/work appropriate, I think the Tag Link style fulfills all three of those requirements for me. I have the Link with MOP face and diamond markers, and I wear it every day, to work or out at night or on weekends. When DH got it for me, he was looking at the Links with plain faces (no diamonds), the one with diamond markers, or the one with diamond markers and diamonds around the bezel, which he thought was too blingy for my taste, so he settled on the one with diamond markers for a subdued bit of bling and he was totally on point, I loved it and still do.

As far as servicing, Tags come with great warranties (I''ll check my warranty card and report back with specifics if you like), and with any "higher-end" watch (not that Tags are in the same class as Rolex or JLC or PP''s) there is a certain amount of servicing that needs to be done on them every few years to keep them running well. You may want to visit a jeweler as opposed to buying online for that very reason--a live person who can answer your questions in one appointment may be more helpful than placing various phone calls to online vendors, just depends on your preference I suppose.

I know Jared''s carries Tags in the chicagoland area but if I were you I might check into an independent B&M simply because they might know the product more in-depth and be able to give you more specific advice as far as your questions. Same with any other brand, i.e., Longines, Bedat, etc.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which Bedat are you considering?

I have two and I love them. They are great watches and not that common. You can likely get an all stainless one discounted, and I am sure you would love it.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 1:14:13 AM
As far as being dressy/sporty/work appropriate, I think the Tag Link style fulfills all three of those requirements for me. I have the Link with MOP face and diamond markers, and I wear it every day, to work or out at night or on weekends. When DH got it for me, he was looking at the Links with plain faces (no diamonds), the one with diamond markers, or the one with diamond markers and diamonds around the bezel, which he thought was too blingy for my taste, so he settled on the one with diamond markers for a subdued bit of bling and he was totally on point, I loved it and still do.

As far as servicing, Tags come with great warranties (I''ll check my warranty card and report back with specifics if you like), and with any ''higher-end'' watch (not that Tags are in the same class as Rolex or JLC or PP''s) there is a certain amount of servicing that needs to be done on them every few years to keep them running well. You may want to visit a jeweler as opposed to buying online for that very reason--a live person who can answer your questions in one appointment may be more helpful than placing various phone calls to online vendors, just depends on your preference I suppose.

I know Jared''s carries Tags in the chicagoland area but if I were you I might check into an independent B&M simply because they might know the product more in-depth and be able to give you more specific advice as far as your questions. Same with any other brand, i.e., Longines, Bedat, etc.
The Link with diamond markers is such a beautiful watch and I can totally see it going business casual to dressy to casual. I wasn''t sure if the Aquaracer could be considered "dressy," but I suppose it would be fine for most places I frequent in the evenings. It may not be a bad idea to visit a jewler to at least take a look at the watch or others similar to learn more. If you happen to stumble across your warranty card, let me know what you find, otherwise, I am sure I can visit their website to learn more. Thanks again!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 1:17:15 AM
Author: diamondfan
Which Bedat are you considering?

I have two and I love them. They are great watches and not that common. You can likely get an all stainless one discounted, and I am sure you would love it.
This is their No3 Concept watch. I like the shape of the face and the numbers are fun, it is an interesting design. However, I am not the most graceful of people and I fear that it may not hold up over time. The price is great though, it is the lowest I can find.

Here are links to the watch:
http://www.bernardwatch.com/item/BED31
http://www.bernardwatch.com/item/BED33

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omieluv, Tags come with a two year warranty against mfr. defects. Mine also came with a diamond stat card and my jeweler gave us an appraisal as well, which was cool. Mine is quartz movement, however, which I like because I don''t want to mess with re-setting everything if I don''t wear it for a few days. DH''s otoh, is not quartz, I forget what the movement is called. I just dropped his watch off at the jewelers about a week ago because the crown fell off the stem, the jeweler said he had seen other watches like DH''s with the same prob and it was a defect so that will be covered by the warranty, and his was purchased right around two years ago, just to give you an example of how that all works.

I really like those Bedats you''ve been looking at, they''re really beautiful and the price is great!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 2:06:57 PM
Omieluv, Tags come with a two year warranty against mfr. defects. Mine also came with a diamond stat card and my jeweler gave us an appraisal as well, which was cool. Mine is quartz movement, however, which I like because I don't want to mess with re-setting everything if I don't wear it for a few days. DH's otoh, is not quartz, I forget what the movement is called. I just dropped his watch off at the jewelers about a week ago because the crown fell off the stem, the jeweler said he had seen other watches like DH's with the same prob and it was a defect so that will be covered by the warranty, and his was purchased right around two years ago, just to give you an example of how that all works.

I really like those Bedats you've been looking at, they're really beautiful and the price is great!
I like the idea of getting a quartz watch as well, as I do not want to have to wind my watch. Though I know there are automatically winding watches on the market, but those are expensive. Thanks for the warranty information, it is good to know that Tag backs their watches. Speaking of Tag's, I found a "classic" version of the Aquaracer on this site: http://www.luxurywatchstore.com/watches/watch-exp.asp?brand=Tag+Heuer&pid=WK1311.BA0313 The price is not bad at $688 (includes a 3 year warranty on watch movement), though the style is a bit more on the sporty side. The dial is white, not sure if I would prefer that to silver or mother of pearl. What do you think? I like this classic style, kinda retro, which is cool.

In terms of the Bedat, which do you like better, silver or white for the face? They also have one with a black face, which is of course nice too.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the Bedat is reasonably durable though I do not wear mine every day. Both of mine have diamonds on them and are a bit more dressy, but I could wear the stainless one daily if I wanted to.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Tag you found, I think it could work for work or casual evenings out, I guess I wouldn''t wear it for anything very formal, though, mainly because of the white face. Truth be told, I can''t think of a Tag style I don''t like except the Alter Ego. Oh, and I''m not a big fan of the purple or pink faces on any of them.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 10:36:54 PM
I like the Tag you found, I think it could work for work or casual evenings out, I guess I wouldn''t wear it for anything very formal, though, mainly because of the white face. Truth be told, I can''t think of a Tag style I don''t like except the Alter Ego. Oh, and I''m not a big fan of the purple or pink faces on any of them.
This particular Tag does come in a silver face, but you are correct, I would not wear to formal occassions.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 9:51:18 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think the Bedat is reasonably durable though I do not wear mine every day. Both of mine have diamonds on them and are a bit more dressy, but I could wear the stainless one daily if I wanted to.
Yes, I can see myself wearing this particular Bedat daily and even out in the evenings. The question is, the silver, white or black face...

Elise

Rough_Rock
Hi Omieluv, I think either the silver or the white. The silver as it looks interesting and goes with the modern look of the watch. Although I haven''t seen the watch in white, I can imagine it would look classically elegant. Do you have a Bedat retailer near you? Perhaps the best way is to try out the watches for yourself and see which one you like.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if you already got one, but I own a Longines DV and love it. I never wore watches before, but I like the style, classic lines, and conservative look of it....

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Omieluv, I have a Raymond Weil. I think I got it for Christmas either 2001 or 2002. I did have to have the battery replaced once, which I heard was a fluke since they usually last awhile. I love mine. Its a tango w/ diamond bezel and diamonds on all of the numbers except 12, 3, 6, and 9.

The watch crystal face is sapphire and it doesn''t have any scratches, it has held up really well. My FI has the men''s tango w/ no diamonds and he loves his too (his still looks great and he''s had it since summer of 2005)

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Elise - here is the link to the Bedat in white: http://www.bernardwatch.com/item/BED35; like you said, it does look nice in this color, as well as silver. For some reason, silver does go very well with this watch though.

UCLABelle - I have not decided as of yet on a watch, though I do still like this dolce vita: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPMHXY/ref=nosim/?tag=dealtime-watches-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000EPMHXY&linkCode=asn

asscher_girl - Thanks for posting! I do like the RW Tango, though due to budget constraints, will not be able to get one with diamonds. Is your tango round or square? I just checked the site & I could stretch the budget to afford this one (it has a mother of pearl dial and a few diamond markers), what do you think? http://www.watchesonnet.com/5971-ST-00995.html?fromCollection=true

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
mine is round. I like that one you posted!
9.gif
very pretty

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
omieluv, for the love of god, get the Bedat!!! You obviously love it so go for it. I didn''t realize that it''s a quartz model so I dont think it would have alot of servicing issues. When I mentioned that issue, I was thinking of what it would cost of, say, my Jaeger le Coultre to be serviced (and I shudder to think of it!). But this Bedat model is a quartz and therefore, I think subject to much less servicing issues. Go buy it and then show us wrist shots!
31.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 9:54:16 PM
omieluv, for the love of god, get the Bedat!!! You obviously love it so go for it. I didn''t realize that it''s a quartz model so I dont think it would have alot of servicing issues. When I mentioned that issue, I was thinking of what it would cost of, say, my Jaeger le Coultre to be serviced (and I shudder to think of it!). But this Bedat model is a quartz and therefore, I think subject to much less servicing issues. Go buy it and then show us wrist shots!
31.gif
Surfgirl, you are hilarious! Thanks for clearing up the servicing issues though, which were holding me back from the Bedat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results