shape
carat
color
clarity

3 stone center diamond is loose.

Paxonator

Rough_Rock
My wife noticed her center stone has become loose. I contacted Brian Gavin diamonds where It was purchased around 2012 I think. They said it may be under warranty, but we're surprised I had not sent the ring in for inspection prior to this incident.

Should I be sending it back to BGD or is an independent jeweler fine? I live in Canada so that adds to the extra costs of shipping.

Also should a ring need to be inspected within this many years by a jeweler? Or did I purchase a more delicate style of ring?

Here's a couple of pictures I took when the ring was new for everyone to see, as you helped me pick it out in the first place.
IMG_7491_638.jpg IMG_7501_638.jpg

Thanks.

Reactions: AV_

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rings should be inspected every six months to make sure prongs are still tight. I'd have BG do the repair work this time, but I would use a local jeweler for the inspections :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s held up fine for seven years sans inspections - it’s certainly not an overly delicate style for her lifestyle ::)

If it’s under warranty - that’s a very generous warranty! Ditto @Wewechew :))

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Some jewelers require inspections periodically to maintain the warranty, some don’t. Over time metal wears down and I bet if you compare the photos above with the ring today, you’ll see differences in the prong thickness. For something that is likely worn daily, replacing the head or repairing prongs will happen occasionally.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is BGD's current jewelry warranty

upload_2019-9-12_16-45-35.jpeg

It doesn't say anything about requiring regular inspections and it specifically states the warranty is void if if the jewelry is worked on by a jeweler other than BGD ... so OP, if it were me, I'd ask BGD to send a return shipping label so you can ship it to them and get the ring checked out and repaired. The warranty is unclear as to who will bear the cost of shipping so check with them about that too.

Good thing you noticed the diamond was loose *before* it fell out!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beauriful ring
i hope she isnt risking wearing it right now
my grandmother took her 1930s ER in for regular checking and maintanance when required her entire married life and then so did my mum, that's why its lasted to this day

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
This is BGD's current jewelry warranty

upload_2019-9-12_16-45-35.jpeg

It doesn't say anything about requiring regular inspections and it specifically states the warranty is void if if the jewelry is worked on by a jeweler other than BGD ... so OP, if it were me, I'd ask BGD to send a return shipping label so you can ship it to them and get the ring checked out and repaired. The warranty is unclear as to who will bear the cost of shipping so check with them about that too.

Good thing you noticed the diamond was loose *before* it fell out!

It may depend on if the loose stone is considered a result of wear and tear though. If the prongs are jut thin from years of use, that may be wear and tear. If a prong wasn’t strong enough to begin with, that’s a defect.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, with only 4 prongs it doesn’t take too many little bumps or a catch in a sweater to move a prong fractionally that then makes the diamond loose. With 6 prongs it’s less likely to happen.
It’s not unexpected, everyday wear over years does result is slight prong movement.
I wouldn’t bother sending it back to BGD the cost of shipping and insurance will probably be more than a repair by a jeweller. If you have a local reputable jeweller they will quickly and easily readjust the prong(s) for a nominal amount.
I would suggest at least weekly using a fingernail gently on the diamond girdle (edge) to see if there’s any “wiggle”. That’s what I do.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
In my view, unless there’s some very specific reason why you feel the need to send the ring back to BGD, it sure seems like a pain to have to do that. I am sure you can find a jeweler close to you that sells and creates jewelry at a level congruent with the quality of your wife’s stunning ring. And yes, you should take it in periodically to have the prongs checked as well as have them clean it. I’m not sure where a “warranty” would come Into play at this point... the ring has clearly served its owner well for the past 7 years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results