shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Kids - Sedan or SUV?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently pregnant with our third child but our situation is a bit unique because our oldest is going to be 18 in the spring. So we'll have two small children when this baby is born. Right now, DH and I both have Corollas. Mine is a 2001 and has 180k miles on it. It still runs well (knock on wood!) and I plan to give it to DD when she gets her license in the next few months.

I'm just so torn about what to replace it with. If I replace it with a sedan, both carseats will have to be placed by the doors which makes me nervous. The other downsides to a sedan are the lack of cargo space and the fact that we'll basically never be able to have the entire family go somewhere in one car. But, a 7 passenger vehicle will be so expensive to fuel up because DH and I both commute 25 miles each way to work. So, not only would we be taking on a car payment which we don't currently have but we would be almost doubling our fuel expense. :-o If I get a smaller SUV, I'm not gaining any seating space which will still mean putting the kids' carseats by the doors but I am gaining a better storage option with the cargo area instead of a trunk. Oh, and DD probably still won't fit between the carseats. She's a peanut at 5'2" and under 90lbs but that would be a TIGHT squeeze...at least from what I can tell.

What does everyone else who has multiple children drive? Is it really a big deal that DD won't fit? She'll have her own car and a license and may not even WANT to go anywhere with us. And, if she does, she may want/need the freedom to arrive and depart on her schedule.

So...sedan? or small SUV? or 7 passenger?

Any thoughts are welcome. I feel like there are many factors that I'm probably not thinking of.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I have a subaru forester so there is A LOT of space in the back and that sure comes in handy! It has room for a double stroller, groceries and other items I keep in my car (like waters, blankets). The back seat did have enough room for both car seats and someone to sit uncomfortably inbetween the kids, when were at that stage. Now, there is room for three in no car seats. Either way, at some point, you may have to take into account that with your little ones, they will become BIG ones and want friends to ride with them, and you may have to upgrade to drive everyone around. Sometimes we have to take two cars if we want to bring friends!

My car gets 20 MPG. Not sure what a Corolla gets...I am guessing more than that?

No matter what you chose, just be sure you have room for a double stroller!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you asked car or SUV, but I have a new Honda Odyssey and I love it for the ease of getting the kids in and out without banging doors on other cars. It is super safe too. I had the hardest time making the switch but it is so comfortable and easy for kids and it has tons of room in the back for big items.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't worry about your DD fitting, I would focus more on your other needs. We could have found a 5 passenger SUV that would have fit all three car seats, but we went with the Pilot instead for the same reasons that MC mentions. I knew at some point we would want to have more than just the kids with us.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC, we're at 35MPG highway and averaging about 30-32MPG overall. So, 20MPG would be a pretty big expense increase. Am I remembering correctly that Subaru vehicles generally have lower mileage because they're all wheel drive? So maybe some other station wagon sort would have better mileage?

Skippy, we've definitely considered a mini-van. My struggle is the price. I love the Odyssey and the Quest but we would probably have to go used and right now we're thinking new.

Kunzite, you put all three boys in one row? I definitely planning on keeping whatever we get for a long time (ie - until it dies) so maybe we need to look more at our long term needs then the "two carseat" days.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
We do. I should take a picture sometime, it's actually quite the sight. Three beautiful Radians, all in a row!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I would get a mid-size SUV (pilot, highlander, etc) and get narrower car seats. We have a pilot, and a Britax Blvd and a Britax Frontier SICT. No way those two suckers can be next to either safely. I can fit in between the car seats (I am 5'3" and about 110lbs), but it's a tight squeeze, for sure. With that said, I wouldn't mind having a minivan with sliding doors.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would strongly consider pre-owned, with savings off retail going to the gas fund. My husband drives a subara outback, and he was just raving about how great it was to drive in snowy conditions. He loves that car. They have very high safety ratings, and there'd be room for Hollis! Not sure how much room there is in the back, however. You may just be in minivan territory now!! :bigsmile:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LV, I sure do wish that we could fit Hollis! Right now, we take two cars when he comes along. He's a little anxious in the car so he doesn't listen well. Half the time he literally sits ON DD. Usually, he'll finally curl up in a ball and rest about 100 yards before our destination. :rolleyes: I wonder if there's a way to divide cargo space so we can use part for Hollis and part for stuff?

Qtiekiki, I never thought about getting different carseats. We have the Evenflo Symphony and it's pretty bulky. If DH or I sit next to it in the backseat, it's hard to shut the door or get buckled in and we're not big people by any means.

MIL has a Pilot so maybe I'll ask her if I can test the configuration with both seats, whole family etc. Then we can have something to compare to.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 kids in carseats also (they are 2 and 1). I drive the crossover SUV by Volvo and DH had a civic which we traded in for a pilot when our 1 year was about 6 months. The volvo was just really tight with the 2 carseats and if we went anywhere the car filled up fast (diaper bag, double stroller, packNplay....the list goes on) so we really needed something bigger. The gas bill has gone up but we also don't commute alot. I work from home so really I only take the kids to and from daycare. We could have made it work with just the volvo but honestly the pilot has really made life easier. With the pilot I can sit in the second row with the two car seats with no problem.

However, if your eldest is turning 18 I think the times where you as a family of 5 will be in 1 car is slim, so I would plan on 4 ppl. Is the 18 year old going away for college? Plus she will be driving her own car and you will have your husbands car. I would just get a larger sedan or small suv that has great gas milage. While I love my pilot, I would not have gotten it if I was a commuter like you are.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
It may not be what you're looking for, but check out the Mazda 5 if you haven't looked at it. We got one right before we had Tyler, and we love it. Good gas mileage, great turning radius, not too expensive, sliding rear doors. You do have to have the carseats installed by a door, though. In the pinch when you'd need your daughter to ride with you, one of the rear seats can be put up for her to ride in. It's a tight fit, but I am 5'4" and can ride back there fine. (Note: with the rear seats up, there is very, very little storage space.)

BTW -- Congrats! I have not been on here in ages.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
turtledazzle|1354326828|3319692 said:
It may not be what you're looking for, but check out the Mazda 5 if you haven't looked at it. We got one right before we had Tyler, and we love it. Good gas mileage, great turning radius, not too expensive, sliding rear doors. You do have to have the carseats installed by a door, though. In the pinch when you'd need your daughter to ride with you, one of the rear seats can be put up for her to ride in. It's a tight fit, but I am 5'4" and can ride back there fine. (Note: with the rear seats up, there is very, very little storage space.)

BTW -- Congrats! I have not been on here in ages.

I actually know a couple of people who own the Mazda 5 and love it!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Puppmom,
Have you made any decisions yet about your car? I may need a new vehicle too as I will have 3 in carseats. I currently drive an acura mdx with a third row- I think I can squeeze the carseats in but will have little room for anything else. I hate to spend the money though. I love the mdx but I don't think it's practical for you as it is not great on gas mileage. What about a hybrid suv? I know there are a bunch of them and I'm sorry I can't offer any specific advice on any of them. My current plan for the mdx is A: newborn twins in 2nd row in middle and door space (if it fits) leaving one space open to give access to third row where I will put my 4 yr old in harnessed booster. That will leave two additional seats open for any other passengers. It's not ideal but I think I want to try it out for a while and see if I can manage it. The minivans with the sliding doors sound much simpler though when you are wrangling 2 newborns and a toddler. Will I ever make it out of the house? LOL. sigh.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turtle! :wavey: :wavey: I hope all is well with you! I like the hatch on the Mazda 5. It's almost a minivan but not quite. That might be an option for us.

Pave, I'm not even close to making a decision! One of the factors is that I may be able to work from home 1-2 days per week which would offset a good amount of the fuel cost.

Sarah, I hadn't put that much thought into the "stuff" but I probably should. The stuff takes up more room than the kids!

All of this reminds me how difficult the first few years with two little ones is going to be financially. We'll be adding a car payment, potentially increase fuel expense AND daycare. Oh, and sending one to college! :o I keep telling myself it's only temporary.

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
oh Puppmom I feel you! I am freaking out with twins on the way. I mean, we knew it was a possibility but the reality is a little frightening. I'm banking on identicals so maybe they can do print ads and save money for college tuition, lol.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just got a 2009 Mazda 5 and I love, love, love it. It's pretty zippy for a small 6-seater mini-van (it's more like a bigger hatchback but it has sliding doors) and the mileage isn't bad. I was driving a Matrix very similar to your Corolla before, and I just love getting the girls in and out of their seats with the sliding doors now. And it's so much quieter and more fun to drive than my Toyota. I keep the back seats down and the extra cargo space is so nice (before I could barely fit the Joovy Caboose Ultralight in my back, and I specifically got it because it had smaller dimensions than other sit and stand type strollers). And when we have an extra passenger, we can pop up the 5th and 6th seats. I think it could be a great option for you since it sounds like the times when you'll need to seat 5 are rare. If you'd like an SUV, the RAV-4 and Mitsubishi Outlander are the only two compact SUVs that offer third row seating, IIRC. I was considering the RAV-4, but once I saw how the tailgate opens out instead of up, I knew it wouldn't work for me living in the city.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would consider a crossover or station wagon, perhaps a hybrid like the larger Prius (the Prius V, I think). Also, my parents have a small hybrid SUV (the Ford Escape) and really like it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll second a crossover if you don't get a minivan. I just bought a Toyota Venza. It has the seating room of a Camry but it is higher than a regular car and lower than an SUV. I was deciding between the Venza and the Highlander, and I couldn't see any real advantage to the Highlander since the gas mileage is worse and I really don't need a SUV. I have a rear-facing car seat in the back for my granddaughter, and there is actually room for it. I like the height for getting her in and out. I think Mazda 5 is a great car, but it is in a smaller size class and I think that would be a huge mistake for you. I formerly had a Subaru Outback and the car seat made the front seat have to move up too much. I really think you might wish you had a minivan, though. It makes it so much easier to get kids in and out.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Puppmom- I have three kids (16,9, and 7) and we ended up with a Toyota Sienna and love it! My next car will be an SUV but for now, we're enjoying the Sienna. You can't get a more family friendly features and the wide sliding doors are great to have! I do have friends that have the Mazda 5 and love it!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
have you looked at carmax? I just think they have good vehicles with good pricing so if you are trying to save you might want to see if there is a Carmax near you. Plus you can sell them your old car. They will tell you in advance what they will offer for it. I think the quote is good for 5 days or something like that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results