shape
carat
color
clarity

3 Carat Oval (Vrai)

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
Hello,

First time poster here! I showed my husband a 3 carat oval Vrai diamond that I thought was pretty a couple of days ago, and later that day he texted me a confirmation email that he purchased it. I was definitely surprised!

It arrived today so I wanted to share some photos. Although I think it is very sparkly and pretty, I’m not happy with the brownish tint. What are your thoughts? 3 Carat I VS1 Ex/Ex/Ex according to GIA Gemologist Cert. While i appreciate the thought, I am going to ask him to return it.

I should mention that I’ve only so far seen it in the lighting inside my house — it didn’t arrive until it was nearly dark.

Attachments

• 149D2149-FC28-4322-B22B-F79663C6B5C3.jpeg
    149D2149-FC28-4322-B22B-F79663C6B5C3.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 117
  • 9BDB26FE-CC4B-406A-927B-14F635D14B81.jpeg
    9BDB26FE-CC4B-406A-927B-14F635D14B81.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 98
  • E8CCECE6-92C2-4AB0-AFA0-D15B7E10745B.jpeg
    E8CCECE6-92C2-4AB0-AFA0-D15B7E10745B.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 070B8A36-4CD6-4AD8-901B-5B799CCAB9CB.jpeg
    070B8A36-4CD6-4AD8-901B-5B799CCAB9CB.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 104

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a sweet surprise! I think if it were me I’d set that baby in yellow gold and take her out on the town, but I understand your concern about tint. From what I’ve seen on this forum Vrai diamonds tend to show color, and lab diamonds in general tend to go brown rather than yellow. Also, the certs are a bit misleading — they are “graded” in house, not by GIA or a third-party lab — which may explain more generous color grading.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
such a sweet husband!!

if i were you, id give it another two days or even a week's time to assess.

daylight is an important light source to view your new diamond in. as in sunlight. that'd be direct as well as ambient sunlight.

if you don't mind the tint, setting it in yellow or rose gold would be quite harmonious and very pretty.

just from images you've posted, it appears to be a very nicely cut oval diamond, to my eyes.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Set it in rose gold and call that baby gorgeous.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly if I may, if the tint bothers you now, that's probably not going to change. I would return it and find a different colorless stone. It is gorgeous though!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's good for a 'classic' oval (i.e. not a Distinctive Gems oval cut specifically for top-notch light return) :)

As above, if the tint bothers you now then it might well always bother you, so utilising the Returns / Exchange policy while you can is a wise plan :)

Do take the time you have until it's due back to see if it grows on you, though - sometimes stones are a 'grower'!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It almost looks pink! I agree that rose gold would make it pop and be stunning but I’m not you.

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments and input! I am finding that the stone seems whiter to me during the daytime. It is growing on me. I have had my eye on this setting for a while but in rose gold. Do you think the side stones would be hard to match to the diamond? David Klass would be making the setting for me. C700915B-2161-47DF-979C-4F2D005CAD9F.jpeg 14E65633-BB53-4820-A1D4-BA41DF42E254.jpeg 5D5F3F03-B41B-418B-9BA7-408684DE6F24.jpeg BA7D5A63-17D8-4DE9-87BB-7535126838F2.jpeg

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
If David Klass is making the setting for you, I'm sure you could request that the color of the side stones be a close match in color grade. Give it a few days in different lighting befor eyou decide, but I agree, your updated photo looks whiter and less tinted to me.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
viewing diamonds in sunlight is everything!!!

the indoor (incandescent) light from your original post, likely, caused a more tinted appearance.

in your more recent images, the diamond appears livelier and less tinted.

i will say, again, it looks like a very nicely cut oval

if you are going with a custom setting, im certain that you can work with the ring maker to request whatever accent stones you like

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds' job is to reflect what is around it, so it will naturally look more tinted in an interior of warm-white colour :)

Make sure to look at it in a range of lighting environments, so you can learn its character! Perhaps a warmer look in softer interior lighting will grow on you, or will be a trade-off you are willing to make to reach the size and cut-quality/performance goals you want :)

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
It's a great size, and I don't know anything about cut in an oval, so I'd take everyone else's words on that. But I'll be honest because I would want others to be honest with me. To me, the pink brown tones don't look "natural". I looked at other ovals on Vrai after you posted yours and noticed the same in the near colorless stones, strong brown and pink hues.

Which is beautiful in it's own right, if that's what you want. But if you wanted a bright white stone, I don't think this is it. For me, I'd wonder if people will notice and ask about it. Depends on whether you want to talk about the color and possibly the origin of the stone.

Good luck with your decision!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
please just know that you have our support whichever way you go ...

if you choose to return it to vrai within the return period
or
if you choose to keep it and set it with david klass as mentioned above

to my eyes, its a nicely cut larger classic oval.

if it is too tinted for your liking then return and keep shopping and we can help, if you would like

best of luck

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for all of your input. I’ve decided to return it — I only love it in certain lighting, and I want to find something I love all the time. I don’t want to constantly be asking myself if I could have found something better.

My husband and I are coming up on 3 years of marriage and I really don’t want to get a ring made until our 5 year anniversary, so it would most likely be sitting in our safe for a while. Hopefully MMD prices will keep dropping in the meantime, and I will be able to find something that faces up whiter while still getting the size/cut I am wanting. This stone was $6,571, so very reasonably priced..just not right for me.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you again for all of your input. I’ve decided to return it — I only love it in certain lighting, and I want to find something I love all the time. I don’t want to constantly be asking myself if I could have found something better.

My husband and I are coming up on 3 years of marriage and I really don’t want to get a ring made until our 5 year anniversary, so it would most likely be sitting in our safe for a while. Hopefully MMD prices will keep dropping in the meantime, and I will be able to find something that faces up whiter while still getting the size/cut I am wanting. This stone was $6,571, so very reasonably priced..just not right for me.

I’m sure your perfect stone is out there... or will be! It’s good that you can take your time and choose one you absolutely love. Thank you for sharing, I had not seen a diamond from Vrai before and it was really nice to see an example :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, thank you for sharing!

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
So after taking the diamond to a local jeweler just to see what their opinion is and also getting a stone holder ring so I could envision what it would look like set, I decided to keep it. A woman can change her mind, right? :lol-2: I will post photos after I get the completed ring! A2591419-29BE-4ABF-AAE1-EA2EAB012E93.jpeg 0911AD65-6A39-4B71-8BB3-18C903929213.jpeg

Last edited:

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
So after taking the diamond to a local jeweler just to see what their opinion is and also getting a stone holder ring so I could envision what it would look like set, I decided to keep it. A woman can change her mind, right? :lol-2: I will post photos after I get the completed ring! A2591419-29BE-4ABF-AAE1-EA2EAB012E93.jpeg 0911AD65-6A39-4B71-8BB3-18C903929213.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet dh. Pretty stone. However if the tint bothers you now I’d advise returning it and searching for one that won’t have a tint that annoys you. Your dislike of the tint will probably only magnify in intensity. So don’t settle. Your stone is out there. ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just seeing this post. Looks lovely on you. See how you feel about it in all different environments while you’re within your return period. Good luck!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in both minds. I think it's beautiful as I actually like brown undertones but if you bought an I expecting near colourless, then this isn't the stone for you. If however the warmth is growing on you, then play up to it.

I remember a lady who posted recently with a warm stone that she had set in a halo and pave band, but she was concerned that the melees made the centre stone more warm. The melees were also graded warm but being much smaller, they appeared really white. I think that's the only consideration: if you were chasing that icy white look in white metal with bright white melee stones, then I'm not sure this is the one. If you're open to the warmth and wearing yellow/rose gold, then there are some magical options ahead for this oval.

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
I am definitely going to be setting it in rose gold, and I am hoping the melee next to the stone won’t make the color stand out. It really helped me to see the diamond on the stone holder ring instead of it sitting on my actual skin. Thank you for your opinions!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

It looks lovely, and how special to have such a gorgeous reminder of a sweet surprise. Please post pics of the final ring for us!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Wow spectacular! Can't wait to see it in rose gold. size too, and it looks lively with your 2 bands

love succulents

Rough_Rock

Love the stack -- even in the temp holder! Is the temp setting white? (Trying to calibrate for color here since I am also looking at some Vrai/DF stones!)

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! The temporary holder is white. Here is a video in outdoor light so you can see the color more easily. :)

love succulents

Rough_Rock
So helpful, thank you! It's beautiful! I even like it in the white setting -- so can only imagine how great it will be in a rose setting. Have you found the setting you are putting it in? :)

Brittany__

Rough_Rock
So helpful, thank you! It's beautiful! I even like it in the white setting -- so can only imagine how great it will be in a rose setting. Have you found the setting you are putting it in? :)

Thank you for your kind words! I am having a setting very similar to the one below made right now. It should be ready hopefully in the next month!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results