shape
carat
color
clarity

3.75 ring size - 2, 2.5, 2.75 ct recommendation please

P

PierreBear

Hi PSers! I hope ya'll are doing well. I am planning for a 10 year upgrade and narrowing down some parameters as I hope to turn this project over to my husband. I would love some feedback on recommendation of what looks aesthetically best on my finger. My current engagement ring faces is about a 1.4 CT but am now drawn towards that beautiful classic Tiffany/Vatache solitaire look with the focus on the diamond. I was able to try on a 2.75 CT at Diamond's Direct, which btw, they had an Tiffany repro that was actually quite beautiful and comfortable to wear. I tried on the 2.0 and 2.5 CT at Tiffany's and actually felt like the knife cut edge was a bit too sharp for comfort. Just wanted to share in case that is helpful to anyone.

Can you please provide feedback on what ct or mm size might look best proportionally between the shank size and the stone? I will probably go for the Vatache setting but haven't tried it out in person yet. I am looking for that "wow" factor with the contrast of a larger stone but something that I can wear daily without drawing too much attention. I plan on just wearing it without a wedding band and nothing on my right hand so I feel this allows me to be a little more bolder than my personality tends to be. I'm in my 30s but still feel conscious as it would be larger than my social group or rather I don't know anyone else who has an interest in jewelry.... but I want this to be my last upgrade and want to go as large as I can now and be finished!

My gut reaction though - perhaps something between 2 to 2.5, around 8.3 mm?
2.75 ct 8.9 mm - seems a bit too large
2.0 ct 8 mm - good for daily wear but I think a little bigger would look proportionally better against the shank or perhaps the shank would need to be thinner
2.5 ct 8.6 mm - like the look but is it too bold? Perhaps it just looks larger to me now but DSS will fix that

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and honest opinions! :angel: It's really helpful to hear some input as I don't feel comfortable asking friends.

_1504.png

_1505.png

_1506.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never thought I would say this but I like the 2 carat on you. You have such tiny fingers (jealous :mrgreen: )...the 2 carat looks
perfect to me. Now if you really wanted to push the size and go for some more attention then I would suggest the 2.5.

I also think you need a setting with a slimmer shank just because your fingers are so tiny. Maybe 1.8mm wide in platinum? How
wide are the settings you have on? They're too big right?

Edit...I see the Vatche u113 is 2.5mm at its widest so maybe try to go down to 2mm or 2.2mm.

EDIT...CVB has one that doesnt look so wide but it does look to be fairly knifed-edged. I'm sure she can modify that.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/230453061/the-cvb-id-jovyn-classic-six-prong?ref=shop_home_active_46

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I like both the 2.5 and 2.75. You'll quickly get used to the look of the larger stone!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2 and the 2.5 so I would suggest maybe going 2.3/2.4 so it still has a big presence (longer until DSS sets in) and you avoid the price jump at the 2.5 mark. :naughty:

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
The 2 carats looks marvelous on your small (jealous) finger! I agree with the other poster that 2-2.5 would be a good range for you.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
The 2.0 does look wonderful, but I also would vote going just shy of or up to 2.5. I just got a 2.0 ct (and have a 3.5 size finger, although I don't think my fingers are as long as yours). I can tell my 2 looks quite nice....but pushing closer to 2.5 is not out of the question...and I made the purchase with the option to upgrade again.

Especially if you are trying to avoid another upgrade I would go a little bigger to avoid the oft mentioned DSS. Do you often notice larger diamonds on people, even not in your social circle? I think that can play in the itch to go bigger too.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think I prefer the 2ct on you. It looks massive, but also looks comfortable enough for every day.

I wouldn't go bigger than 2.5, prob.

I like the previous poster's suggestion to maybe go 2.4 if you go bigger than 2 - to avoid the 2.5 price jump.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1479143822|4098236 said:
EDIT...CVB has one that doesnt look so wide but it does look to be fairly knifed-edged. I'm sure she can modify that.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/230453061/the-cvb-id-jovyn-classic-six-prong?ref=shop_home_active_46

I prefer the 2.75, as DSS is real! (and I'm a size whore...) :bigsmile: :lol: I am sooooo jealous of your super teeny tiny fingers and lovely hands! And I got my upgrade at Diamonds Direct as well! :wavey:

I also wanted to chime in and say that Caysie of CVB is amazing and her Jovyn is extremely comfortable.

I have a 3.33 ct set in it and it tapers from a rounded 2.2 mm at the base (height is 1.6 mm, so not too high) to a 2 mm midway up, then to a 1.6 mm sharper knife edge at the very top (but is sturdy due to the knife edge being "higher"). Her knife edge softens as it goes down the finger for the same comfort as a round band. Comfort was one of my concerns for a knife edge style, and hers is "barely there" level comfort!

Also, her Jovyn in platinum was very reasonably priced and much less than the Vatche U-113 (which gets pretty pricey with larger stones, as DD is not carrying the line anymore).

My CADs with dimensions:
cvb_soli_cad_grid_combo.jpg
cvb_soli_cad_2.jpg cvb_soli_cad_4.jpg cvb_soli_cad_1.jpg

A few shots to show the taper IRL:
cvb_soli_stack_1.jpg cvb_soli_blue_capsules_7.jpg cvb_soli_with_bezel_eternity.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edit: You wouldn't happen to be in Birmingham, AL area, would you?? :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, CVB managed to improve on the classic with her Jovyn -- and it's fully customizable! :love:

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1479156872|4098395 said:
To me, CVB managed to improve on the classic with her Jovyn -- and it's fully customizable! :love:

Msop you are torturing me with your ring pics! :D

I am currently still waiting on my Jovyn and I am dying to try it on!

I asked her to give me a knife edge look but to soften it a hair because I am worried it will poke.
Glad to hear it won't.

Your ring is so gorgeous!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eye, 8.6mm seems too much for your finger. 8mm looks right but if you feel that it needs to be a little bigger, then try something around 8.2-8.3mm.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
2.75 looks great! We're the same finger size so that's what I'd go for ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iwantsparkle|1479157099|4098399 said:
msop04|1479156872|4098395 said:

Msop you are torturing me with your ring pics! :D

I am currently still waiting on my Jovyn and I am dying to try it on!

I asked her to give me a knife edge look but to soften it a hair because I am worried it will poke.
Glad to hear it won't.

Your ring is so gorgeous!

You have nothing to worry about! It will be perfect!! Can't wait to see it!! :love:

And thank you!! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so entirely personal. My main circle of local friends and family all have smaller diamonds that I do. My original diamond was 1 ct, then 1.6 cts, and now 2.3 cts. Most people I am around including my sisters wear about 1 ct on average. I know of no one of family and local friends who has ever upgraded their diamond engagement ring. I have a few wonderful PS friends that I see on occasion, and I have the smallest diamond ring of those. But 98% of the time, my diamond is the largest. I wanted to trade it in for a smaller one for awhile, but I have adjusted to it. I could easily have over 3 cts and would enjoy it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it outside my home. So you are the only one who can decide what your comfort level is. I think all the diamond sizes look great!

My Vatche setting is thinner than Tiffany's, and is about 2mm all the way around except maybe where it meets the head. It is a sharper knife edge than Tiffany's solitaire, but I cannot feel it since I wear it with a wedding band of the same height. It'd only a potential issue if you plan to wear the ring alone. Otherwise, Tiffany would have had to abandon that shank design long ago! In any event, the Vatche shank is thin enough to make any diamond stand out.

If I were buying a Tiffany repro today, though, I would go with CVB's Jovyn like msop has.

Here are a couple of pics for you to see the Vatche with an 8.4mm diamond on a size 5.5 finger.

r_2013-06-22_12.jpg

q2_2013-06-20_5.jpg

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
Rivendell|1479143926|4098237 said:
I like both the 2.5 and 2.75. You'll quickly get used to the look of the larger stone!
Just to add my princess cut solitaire is just over 2.5 carats and I'm a size 4. It looks pretty big but in a good way!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've downgraded (twice).... so my inclination would be the 2ct. 8mm is a ton of coverage on your hand. That said, it's easier to go smaller than to go bigger.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear, I might be the wrong one to ask, I love a large look on the hand and I think the 2.75 looks lovely on you…but I sense that you might feel self-conscious with that size, and with your tiny finger size all the stones look very substantial on your hand - I do think the 2.5 might be a nice compromise, considering you want this to be your last upgrade - and it will offer protection from DSS!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.5ct for you. So jealous of your tiny fingers! :))

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
All 3 sizes look good on your hand. So really you should pick what you feel suits your life best. I suppose if I had to pick one, I would vote for the 2.5 carat.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I vote 2.5 as well. Although you can pull off the 2.75 if you wanted too. Lovely hands!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to echo others and say that first of all I am
Super jealous of your tiny and gorgeous hands!!! That said, I think the 2.5 is a nice size on you. I think the 2ct is lovely but DSS is real and I'd hate to see you second guess later on. You could definitely pull off the larger sizes too, but to me the 2.5 is a gorgeous "middle ground" and looks great!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2 ctw - It looks more balanced to my eye! Fun dilemma!

E-W-johnson

Rough_Rock
I think the 2 ct looks great and if they are all a similar price I'd go with the better cut. A prettier diamond is preferential to a larger diamond in my opinion.

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
I'd say go for the 2.5 so down the road you can avoid what a lot of us get here, DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome)! Let us know if you need help sourcing a stone!

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I think they all look lovely, but I think the 2.5 looks best. Your tiny fingers are so pretty! Sorry, if that sounds weird! LOL I'm just used to looking at my pudgy size 7 ring fingers that are almost twice the size of yours.

P

PierreBear

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my fingers and providing feedback on the carat size. Ya’ll are too sweet. If it’s any consolation, my parents always hounded me that I should have played piano like all and would have the finger length to reach the keys. I rebelled and tried the flute, learning that I really have no musical aptitude either for that instrument. Didn’t stop my parents from bugging me though. Haha!

May I get ya’lls thoughts on setting as well? I’m thinking that a one stop shop at Whiteflash would be easiest for my husband. What’s the best way to get this type of knife edge look but as a comfortable stand-alone ring with no wedding band? Vatche customization if they do that or the WF repro version like M2B’s beautiful ring? The WF stock ring doesn't look as elegant as M2B but perhaps her small changes really make the ring flow. Or just send the stone to CVB for the Jovyn? I’m having difficulties seeing the difference between the options! I appreciate the guidance you ring experts!

Edelweissmaedl – I do often jewelry on people outside of my social circle. Though I wouldn’t always say that the focus is only on larger diamonds. A beautiful piece can be small and delicate to me but a larger ring does catch my attention.
Liaerfbv – Thanks for your comment. Can you explain why it would be easier to go smaller than bigger? I would almost think that it’s easier to go with a 2 ct and go bigger later with WF’s upgrade policy. If I started out with a 2.0 ct would upgrading to 2.5 ct still allow me to use the same setting? Or regardless of the size of the stone, the head of the ring always is custom made to fit the exact diamond so the cost is the same regardless of the change in size?
Tyty333 – Thanks for starting the conversation on the setting. I’m actually most nervous about the setting as it seems to drastically change the look of the ring even with the small details. I’m not sure about the width of the Tiffany’s ring. Supposedly Tiffany changes the width (and other areas of the ring) proportionally with the size of the diamond and I wasn’t able to find it on the website. I’m a bit unclear on the shank size of the vatache. Diamondseeker mentioned hers is about 2 mm all the way around but I think I’ve seen other posts of other variations where the top is even different from the bottom. Perhaps vatache can customize the width?! I assume thinner the width would look more balance on my thinner fingers. I guess I would just ask the vendor to go as thin as possible?
Msop04 – Thank you so much for showing pictures of your Jovyn. Beautiful, beautiful ring and I would love to achieve the same look as well! May I ask if it would be a comfortable fit with her softened knife edge to wear as a stand alone ring? If I plan to wear this as a stand along ring would you still recommend having the donut as it is a minor interruption to the profile view if there isn’t a wedding band?
Diamondseeker2006 – Thanks for following me on this project and sharing your thoughts. I definitely appreciate your comments regarding how you feel about your diamond size and am in a similar situation. I was confused about how other women tolerate the knife edge feel and it wasn’t until you explained wearing it with a wedding band that it made sense! Do you know if the Vatche setting can be modified in a way to make it comfortable to wear as a stand-alone ring by softening the knife edge or other aspects of the shank? You mentioned that if you were buying a Tiffany repro today, you would go with CVB’s version but I was curious if you had any feelings towards WF’s version with modifications to make it more sleek and comfortable like M2B’s setting.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
Personally I think the 2.75 looks too big, you have such beautiful slim fingers and I think it looks a little gaudy... however you don't want to think the 2ct is too small. If I was you I would go for around 2.25ct and a slender 1.8mm platinum band to allow the the stone to really pop. I think that would look so stunning and classy but still nice and big!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1479323308|4099366 said:
Msop04 – Thank you so much for showing pictures of your Jovyn. Beautiful, beautiful ring and I would love to achieve the same look as well! May I ask if it would be a comfortable fit with her softened knife edge to wear as a stand alone ring? If I plan to wear this as a stand along ring would you still recommend having the donut as it is a minor interruption to the profile view if there isn’t a wedding band?

Hi PB! I'm just seeing this post, so sorry about taking a while to answer...

I think the Jovyn would be just as comfy to wear as is, so I know a more softened knife edge would be comfortable. I LOVE the donut! I don't see it as an interruption at all, and it allows the ring to sit just a tad bit lower. I think it looks really elegant. However, Caysie could easily tweak it so that it's not as noticeable if you'd rather it not be there. :))

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I meant generally when you go from a larger stone to a smaller stone you won't lose money. In your case if you are planning to utilize WF's upgrade policy, I wouldn't worry too much about it either way and get what you want now. I also prefer the Jovyn solitaire from CVB.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Another option for the knife edge would be to eliminate it on the underside. I loved a setting but was worried about the comfort of the knife edge....so I had it made knife edge on top and it transitions to domed on the underside. It is the best of both worlds. :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results