shape
carat
color
clarity

3.5 Emerald Cut "Diamond" Ring in Heavy 15.8 Grams 16K Gold Setting

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Good afternoon,

I recently posted the other day regarding a 9K Edwardian Signet Ring. Well, I think I have another winner but not quite sure what I am dealing with, other than the ring has been acid tested as 16K gold. There are no hallmarks on the ring. I removed the 3.5 emerald cut stone and used a commercially available diamond tester, to no avail. This ring came from the same estate as the previously posted 9K Edwardian signet ring. My question is, help! Tell me what I have here other than a heavy gold setting a 3.5 carat mysterious stone. Due to the apparent age, could this stone be Moissanite? I did perform the dot test on the stone, and when placed on the pen dot in the center, I saw two identical dots through the back of the stone. Any help or guidance would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. 20220206_134204.jpg

Attachments

• 20220206_134223.jpg
    20220206_134223.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220206_134245.jpg
    20220206_134245.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220206_134306.jpg
    20220206_134306.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220206_134337.jpg
    20220206_134337.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220206_134410.jpg
    20220206_134410.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220206_134742.jpg
    20220206_134742.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220206_134837.jpg
    20220206_134837.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220206_134927.jpg
    20220206_134927.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 8

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It looks like a deco setting [age wise] and a white sapphire cut or a cz]. Did you do the water test? drop it into a glass of water. If it doesn't sink right away, then at least you'll know it isn't a diamond. It would have tested as such anyway but that's another option. Does acid testing prove if it's plated? it looks plated to me. Just IMO my 2 cents.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
It looks like a deco setting [age wise] and a white sapphire cut or a cz]. Did you do the water test? drop it into a glass of water. If it doesn't sink right away, then at least you'll know it isn't a diamond. It would have tested as such anyway but that's another option. Does acid testing prove if it's plated? it looks plated to me. Just IMO my 2 cents.

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, I did the acid test in multiple places and very heavy traces. All at least 14K solid gold. Yes, I did drop it in water and it sank rather quickly. If it floats, then it is a CZ correct? Thanks.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock

I am great with testing gold and sterling silver, that is the extent of my knowledge. Thanks.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, I did the acid test in multiple places and very heavy traces. All at least 14K solid gold. Yes, I did drop it in water and it sank rather quickly. If it floats, then it is a CZ correct? Thanks.

The water test [I had to google its been so long] just says, if it sinks quickly. All stones should go down, it's just the rate of the sink. And My idea of quick may not be yours LOL I have no idea. But if it was a diamond, or glass, OR even moissanite, your tester [commercial available ones now anyway] would have picked that up. Hence my guess about a white sapphire. Testers nowadays have to have the gemstone property listed on the wand or the display like the pistachio one I think.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
The water test [I had to google its been so long] just says, if it sinks quickly. All stones should go down, it's just the rate of the sink. And My idea of quick may not be yours LOL I have no idea. But if it was a diamond, or glass, OR even moissanite, your tester [commercial available ones now anyway] would have picked that up. Hence my guess about a white sapphire. Testers nowadays have to have the gemstone property listed on the wand or the display like the pistachio one I think.

Thank you kindly. Yes. It dropped quickly. Would the gold weave be considered a Turk's head strand?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring came from the same estate as the previously posted 9K Edwardian signet ring.

Remarkable amount of provenance data for Goodwill, no? I should spend more time perusing their auction catalogs :lol-2:. The prior one was like $2 and they know this one is from the "same estate"?

Come on, where did you really get them? ;)2

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Remarkable amount of provenance data for Goodwill, no? I should spend more time perusing their auction catalogs :lol-2:. The prior one was like $2 and they know this one is from the "same estate"?

Come on, where did you really get them? ;)2

Serious. I think this one was $3.00 if I remember correctly. I guess somedays you hit gold. I wish I knew that the stone is. Cheers!

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Serious. I think this one was $3.00 if I remember correctly. I guess somedays you hit gold. I wish I knew that the stone is. Cheers!

Like I said, my local Goodwill store. I stop when I get a chance and check out what they have. These two rings shouted out to be, "buy me". So I did. If I decide not to keep them, I am thinking of how I am going to account for the capital gains tax due. What do you think of the center stone? Let me know! Thanks again. [Goodwill location intentionally left secret!]

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t really identify a stone from a picture. It looks pretty scratched up. Perhaps glass or a very pale aquamarine?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t really identify a stone from a picture. It looks pretty scratched up. Perhaps glass or a very pale aquamarine?

Whatever it is, it is very poorly cut!

DK :(2

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Whatever it is, it is very poorly cut!

DK :(2

Yes. It does have a strange angled cut. Could that be due to the bezel mounting on the ring? Thanks for your help.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. It does have a strange angled cut. Could that be due to the bezel mounting on the ring? Thanks for your help.

Why would the mounting affect the cutting of the stone, as the stone should have been cut prior to being set in the setting?

I highly doubt if the stone was cut after it has been set as the prongs would be in the way!

DK :))

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Many mysteries. Any ideas of the type of stone?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Unless you love the mount, I'd sell of for scrap value if you bought for $2.

I don't think this will be a mount that appeals to many people. If it was me and I found a solid gold piece like this for $2, I would sell it for scrap.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Unless you love the mount, I'd sell of for scrap value if you bought for $2.

I don't think this will be a mount that appeals to many people. If it was me and I found a solid gold piece like this for $2, I would sell it for scrap.

$3.00 I believe. Not really fond of the mount, but confused by the stone. Thanks.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea on the stone, the pictures are showing up kind of blurry on my phone. But that setting - what an interesting “sizing” bar/clasp/clip… I haven’t seen anything like that before. Cool.

Post a few more pics of that stone if you wouldn’t mind. Does it fluoresce?

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
No idea on the stone, the pictures are showing up kind of blurry on my phone. But that setting - what an interesting “sizing” bar/clasp/clip… I haven’t seen anything like that before. Cool.

Post a few more pics of that stone if you wouldn’t mind. Does it fluoresce?

Thank you. No, it does not fluoresce whatsoever. Let me see if I can quickly post a few more. Thanks.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Hello Ringo,

Here are a few more pictures. The stone is clean to a 10X loop with no inclusions. What do you think? When I put the ring on my finger, the gold bezel is slightly offset. Thanks. 1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Any other ideas on this rock? Tell me it is a 3.5 ct flawless diamond and I will dust off my hula hoop! Thank you for your comments on this stone!

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
So you are telling me to put my hula hoop back in the closet? No problem! Don't want to break my hip!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
To state the obvious, if this ring is unmarked for gold content, appears to be flaking off pieces of gold, contains a poorly cut CZ, and looks like it's plated, it probably is plated. Bring it to a pawn shop and see what they say.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
To state the obvious, if this ring is unmarked for gold content, appears to be flaking off pieces of gold, contains a poorly cut CZ, and looks like it's plated, it probably is plated. Bring it to a pawn shop and see what they say.

Oh no. It is not plated. Acid testing is my specialty. The stone, you may be right. At some point, the ring was reamed out and exposed a poor shank casting. As you can see, it was later adapted for a smaller hand with the addition of the snap ring. Thanks anyway.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, well, we'll all be interested in hearing what your jeweler says. Please do keep us updated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results