shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 3.48ct OEC + 0.3ct asscher modern Toi et Moi ring - 6 years in the making!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
So cool that your ring is flexible enough to be worn on different fingers!! Do you have any modeling pics? What an awesome design too

I don't, sorry. It was such an inexpensive ring that I wear it for yardwork, and lots more. So comfortable and versatile. All credit to Daniel M.
I am having another open ring made by David Klass, a diamond and a dark orange garnet. This will get photographed!

VBottoms891

Rough_Rock
OMG love this!! Can’t wait for more pics when it comes back from your jewellers.

Out of interest, do you wear it with a wedding band? I’ve switched my band to my right hand so as to visually keep the negative space
I don’t know if I will or not. Honestly, this day my fingers were swollen and I couldn’t get my band off. Haha

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I've just been going down a rabbit hole of threads on OECs and depth % vs table sizes.

In case it's helpful, here are the full stats on my OEC:
- 3.48ct L SI1, graded as an 'Old European Brilliant'
- 9.68 - 9.85 x 5.81mm = 59.5% depth
- 51% table
- Girdle: very thin to thin
- Culet: large
- Polish: good
- Symmetry: fair
- No fluor

And here are some more photos!
5CB2DA7A-8722-4D49-9E28-A470B765E5E0.jpeg
D9EF0137-9446-4151-9A89-37EA75DA63BE.jpeg

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
This is beyond stunning!!! Please continue to share more photos. This is making me rethink the setting for my new OEC :P2:lol-2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty!! I’m getting a 2.88 O/P VS2 OEC from OWD. We are in the CAD stage for a yellow gold bezel right hand ring. Hopefully I’ll have it less than a month!

20E7AAAC-BD7D-45FE-8807-23E537C3C911.jpeg

Ooh exciting! She has a gorgeous tiny little table :kiss2:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
So... that brings me to the end of my story, and onto the pictures. If you’ve got this far, thanks for your patience - it’s been a long one. And hope you enjoy my ring as much I enjoy wearing it!

I hunt everywhere for ring specs, so here goes:
  • 3.48ct L SI1 OEC (GIA), 9.8mm
  • 0.30ct I VS2 asscher (GIA), 3.8mm set NSEW
  • Finger size: UK size I / US size 4.25-4.5
  • Custom designed yellow gold bezel toi et moi setting, by me (pictures showing the setting is below - I love how it sits ultra-low on the finger)

(Last thing - apologies if I don’t respond to your comment immediately, I’m not the best with forums but your lovely thoughts and wishes are much appreciated!)

IMG_4288.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg
IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4218.jpg
IMG_4303.jpg
IMG_4312.jpg IMG_4308.jpg IMG_4309.jpg C2179A02-604B-4234-8508-9EF5D13E8441.JPG 56793098-94E0-40AB-9758-0AA5E02C6A0A.JPG IMG_4317.jpg

Final photo - was trying on various things in VCA and caught a photo of my ring 'in the wild' with some Cosmos earrings ^_^

IMG_4397.jpg

Your ring is so beautiful and unique. Can’t stop staring hahaha. Dreaming of a big OEC one of these days

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Incredible ring - congratulations! I'm sure I'll never see another like it.

KiloSierra

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The thoughtfulness on every detail of this project is just amazing!!

Beautiful beautiful collection! The sleek modern designs are architectural and SO interesting!!

Bravo bravo!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
@Pomelo - you’ve shared so many details, your ring is exquisite. Sounds like you’re ok with people being inspired by your beautiful ring- how would you feel about me making an RBC and asscher ring similar to yours? The sizing would be different, but otherwise quite similar.

Regardless, thank you for sharing! A feast for the eyes!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Pomelo - you’ve shared so many details, your ring is exquisite. Sounds like you’re ok with people being inspired by your beautiful ring- how would you feel about me making an RBC and asscher ring similar to yours? The sizing would be different, but otherwise quite similar.

Regardless, thank you for sharing! A feast for the eyes!

Thanks for asking, and honestly don't mind - "my" design is inspired by others too :geek2:

Please just keep us posted when your new ring arrives! Are you getting it for a specific purpose/occasion?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for asking, and honestly don't mind - "my" design is inspired by others too :geek2:

Please just keep us posted when your new ring arrives! Are you getting it for a specific purpose/occasion?

Sharing pics sounds like an excellent trade! Deal! And thank you!

My purpose/occasion is to celebrate myself. Very much the Miley Cyrus song “Flowers” but instead it’s “I can buy myself diamonds….”

It’s going to be a right hand empowerment ring. Self-love, treat yourself first - you deserve the world, lady. Like that! I can’t decide on middle finger or forefinger. I love how your ring looks on the forefinger, but I imagine it would be a nightmare to resize so I was thinking long term the middle finger gives me more options… thoughts?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Sharing pics sounds like an excellent trade! Deal! And thank you!

My purpose/occasion is to celebrate myself. Very much the Miley Cyrus song “Flowers” but instead it’s “I can buy myself diamonds….”

It’s going to be a right hand empowerment ring. Self-love, treat yourself first - you deserve the world, lady. Like that! I can’t decide on middle finger or forefinger. I love how your ring looks on the forefinger, but I imagine it would be a nightmare to resize so I was thinking long term the middle finger gives me more options… thoughts?
Haha, amen to buying yourself diamonds!

Regarding which finger, I think it’s all down to personal preference =)2

I rarely wear rings on my middle finger because I like asymmetry, so on my right hand it’s either pinky only, ring+pinky, index+ring+pinky, or sometimes thumb+ring+pinky.

However, from a practical standpoint, if you have a significantly larger stone than the other, you may want to wear that ring on your middle finger so it has more fleshy protection from your index+ring fingers. If I wore my OEC on the outer edge of my index finger, I’d be more careful in case it bashed into something.

I think BTF rings work beautifully on middle fingers - especially on classy, feminine ladies! - but I am not one of those :geek2:

I’d recommend taking a look at Jemma Wynne’s Instagram for inspiration - they style their rings in various fingers.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, amen to buying yourself diamonds!

Regarding which finger, I think it’s all down to personal preference =)2

I rarely wear rings on my middle finger because I like asymmetry, so on my right hand it’s either pinky only, ring+pinky, index+ring+pinky, or sometimes thumb+ring+pinky.

However, from a practical standpoint, if you have a significantly larger stone than the other, you may want to wear that ring on your middle finger so it has more fleshy protection from your index+ring fingers. If I wore my OEC on the outer edge of my index finger, I’d be more careful in case it bashed into something.

I think BTF rings work beautifully on middle fingers - especially on classy, feminine ladies! - but I am not one of those :geek2:

I’d recommend taking a look at Jemma Wynne’s Instagram for inspiration - they style their rings in various fingers.

Helpful thoughts, thank you!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
It’s been a while since I last wore my ring, so I had to take some photos!

One thing I’m wondering is whether a small OEC (<0.5-0.75ct) would perform like a larger OEC? Specifically, throwing off large flashes of light and reflecting back a rainbow of colours.

The reason is, whilst I like the shapes of my three-stone cuff ring, they lack the liveliness of the OEC! I own a few <0.5ct MRBs with 35-36 degree crowns and they’re not bad in terms of fire, but I still mostly see bright light return from them too. What I want to see is rainbowwwws :geek2:

(It could also be that the rings haven’t been cleaned in a while. Maybe I’ll wipe the dust off the ultrasonic!)

IMG_5758.jpeg
IMG_5765.jpeg

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

One thing I’m wondering is whether a small OEC (<0.5-0.75ct) would perform like a larger OEC? Specifically, throwing off large flashes of light and reflecting back a rainbow of colours.

The reason is, whilst I like the shapes of my three-stone cuff ring, they lack the liveliness of the OEC! I own a few <0.5ct MRBs with 35-36 degree crowns and they’re not bad in terms of fire, but I still mostly see bright light return from them too. What I want to see is rainbowwwws :geek2:

(It could also be that the rings haven’t been cleaned in a while. Maybe I’ll wipe the dust off the ultrasonic!)

IMG_5758.jpeg
IMG_5765.jpeg

Size matters, keep it real! Haha.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This, though, in all the ways :lol:

Bigger facets account for so much of coloured light return that your eyes see… smaller stones with fewer facets might have a chance? But yeah. #Size.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock

This, though, in all the ways :lol:

Bigger facets account for so much of coloured light return that your eyes see… smaller stones with fewer facets might have a chance? But yeah. #Size.

Haha thanks both, sounds like I’ll have to look at bigger stones, what a chore :lol-2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Pomelo I don’t see a thread on that pointer cuff! Deets needed!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed that size matters! I have an small AVR a little over .5 ct and even though it’s cut to ideal specs, it doesn’t throw out as much big flashes of colorful light as my bigger true antique stones that are not cut to perfection.

summerxdream

Rough_Rock
So gorgeous! I just moved to the UK and have yet to find a great jeweler locally, any chance you could share the name of who created this beautiful ring?

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock

IMG_5758.jpeg
IMG_5765.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous!! Both rings are stunning

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Pomelo I don’t see a thread on that pointer cuff! Deets needed!
Haha I’ll find some time to clean her first, then take some decent photos to make a post!

Agreed that size matters! I have an small AVR a little over .5 ct and even though it’s cut to ideal specs, it doesn’t throw out as much big flashes of colorful light as my bigger true antique stones that are not cut to perfection.

Thank you! Out of interest, is there an inflection point where the flashes become more noticeable to your eyes? It doesn’t have to be 4.27ct-level of deliciousness, just a touch would do ;)2

So gorgeous! I just moved to the UK and have yet to find a great jeweler locally, any chance you could share the name of who created this beautiful ring?

Sadly my rings aren’t made in the UK - I got them made in the Middle East, and I haven’t worked with a jeweller in the UK before to be honest, sorry I can’t be of more help!

Absolutely gorgeous!! Both rings are stunning
Thank you!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
I love your jewelry so much. The design and thought put into all your pieces is inspiring. <3

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Out of interest, is there an inflection point where the flashes become more noticeable to your eyes? It doesn’t have to be 4.27ct-level of deliciousness, just a touch would do ;)2
I don't have any medium? sized OECs (just smaller stones and the new 4.27ct lol)but I would say right around the .9 - 1ct mark. I have a 3+ctw 5 stone and the center stone is a cushiony OEC estimated to be right under a carat at 6-6.3mm. I definitely notice the center stone's flashes and facets.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I love your jewelry so much. The design and thought put into all your pieces is inspiring. <3
Thank you! Learning from the best here on PS :geek2: I trawled through threads for years, learning from others - and to be honest, having experienced a burglary where 95+% of my pieces were taken, it gave me a new chance to thoroughly think through the collection as there were a lot of previous pieces that were going unloved.

I don't have any medium? sized OECs (just smaller stones and the new 4.27ct lol)but I would say right around the .9 - 1ct mark. I have a 3+ctw 5 stone and the center stone is a cushiony OEC estimated to be right under a carat at 6-6.3mm. I definitely notice the center stone's flashes and facets.

Gasp! Do you have a thread on your 3+ctw 5 stone? I have been sketching out 5-stone designs and am on the lookout for five stones, but don't know what size to go for!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Gasp! Do you have a thread on your 3+ctw 5 stone? I have been sketching out 5-stone designs and am on the lookout for five stones, but don't know what size to go for!
I don’t have a SMTB thread on it but I did make a thread on it asking about its hallmarks because it’s an antique! It’s French and 100 years old lol I don’t want to reset the stones because I want to preserve it as much as possible but the basket and prongs are not my favorite and obviously worked on over the last 100 years. I do like the proportions though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results