shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT 3.02 carat OMB - Still in shock!

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
I didn't see this diamond coming. So this is a story about how a woman woke up on Friday with no intention to buy a diamond, and then owned it just over 24 hours later.

I'm new here, though I've been lurking for ages. I was seeking to replace my 1.24 carat round brilliant with a larger diamond after my husband offered this as an option to celebrate our 15th anniversary. I thought I'd get a cushion or round, and maybe go up to 1.7-2 carat. I planned to have a custom Art Deco halo made, and had obtained quotes from several reputable vendors. I knew I wanted a stone in the I-K color range. Cut and size were the most important to me. After owning a GIA H, VS2 round for 15+ years, I constantly wished I'd lowered my specs and increased the size. You live and learn.

Over the past year, I've fallen hard for Old Mine and other antique cuts. I follow CvB and Jewels by Grace on social media, and drool when they post those chunky diamonds. I couldn't seem to excited about upgrading to a larger MRB, and was experiencing a lot of indecision. I was about to bag the whole idea and just redo my closet instead. I also had to sell or trade my current stone, and that was feeling daunting.

Last Friday, my husband and I were both working from home. We decided to go over to a local jewelers with a good reputation (family owned business, 25+ years) so I could show him the lower colors. We walked in and worked with the owner for a solid hour. He brought out 2 carat rounds - I, J and K. They were nice, but I wasn't thrilled. I asked him if he could pull just a few cushions in the 2 carat range, for fun.

He came back with two diamonds. The first was a "crushed ice" cushion in an E color. The second he hesitated before opening. He said "I know you asked for 2 carat, but I just got this stone from an estate. You seem to like an antique look so I wanted you to see it." He opened the paper and I tried not to gasp. I was really working hard to maintain a poker face. It was a chunky, soft square shape, and was full of fire.

The specs are: 3.02 carat, GIA certified, K color, SI1 clarity. Dimensions are 8.68 x 8.43 x 5.86mm. I took her outside and she got even prettier. I didn't want to put her back. But it was such a large diamond, and I thought it was very out of reach. Reluctantly (on my part) we left; my husband couldn't get out of there soon enough!

I posted the diamond on Rocky Talky here with no luck (it was later Friday, so I didn't expect much response), but I did contact a vendor who deals with antique cuts that I've been corresponding with on my setting. I sent her pics and videos of the stone and she pulled the GIA and said it was a winner and she'd buy it if she was presented with the price I was given (it was rap sheet pricing).

We slept on it, and the next morning my lovely husband said "I want you have that diamond" - hand to God, I almost died. So, back we went, and now she's mine! She was even prettier than the day before, and has the neatest octagonal cutlet. I love this stone. And we got an incredible trade-in value for my old stone. I'm having her set in my old three sided pave setting as a temporary home (they are switching out my old prongs to a basket w/ claw prongs), but will eventually have a new setting made. I'll post more hand pics when I get the ring back from my jeweler on Tuesday/Wednesday. But here's the diamond:

img_5419__1_.jpg

img_5434.png

img_5433.png

img_5432.png

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! What a lovely unexpected surprise you found. It's a beautiful stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! I love that stone. When it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

It is clearly: "Come home to mama..." ;-)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations! You didn't include enough information in your RT thread for anyone to determine an answer for you, but it's great that you love it, and that you have received confirmation from someone else that it's a great stone. It looks lovely in the pictures! Enjoy!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT facet pattern. When you get it back could you take some photos that show off the culet? :D

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful - congrats on an unexpected surprise - the very best kind!!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
How exciting!!! She's lovely and I can't wait to see more pictures.

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
I'll definitely try to get some pics of the cutlet when I pick it up later this week. My only camera these days in an iPhone, but I'll do what I can!

Just for future reference, what other info might have helped posters to evaluate the stone? I did go back and post a link to the GIA cert, it's here if anyone is interested: https://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?re...ring=C3E1DDF93ED828441262C30575E25AD5&qr=null

I was so surprised to find an OMB of this size at a relatively small jeweler in the suburbs. My understanding is that OMB's in larger sizes are a tad more rare to come by these days. This stone apparently started out at 4 carats, but had to be recut as it had some chipping. I think it had been sitting in a dusty jewelry box for years. Thanks to to regular posters here, I've seen many examples of well-cut antique stones (or "new" stones cut as OECs or OMBs) so I was able to identify this as a something that was potentially very special. After we bought it, the jeweler told me this was one-of-a-kind and that several people had been in multiple times to look at the stone (one had it on hold and let it lapse a couple of days before).

I have such a sweet husband, and still can't believe it's mine to wear for the rest of my life.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my this is a lovely stone and a lovely story. It really touched my heart how your hubby wanted you to have your dream stone. How you described your reaction brought a tear to my eye. So happy for you and can't wait to see it set.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY :love: she's lovely and clearly meant to be for you. Congratulations on your fabulous upgrade and I would love to see many many more closeups.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow she's fabuloussss!! :love: can't wait too see more pics! :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: Gorgeous stone, congrats! Definitely come back with more pics when you have her back from the jeweler! :appl:

Boom

Shiny_Rock
What a fabulous find! :appl: :appl:
Cant wait to see more pics!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Dang she's beautiful! #JEALOUS! Bet you can't quit looking at her! congrats.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Lucky gal :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaw dropping beauty right here!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and meant to be! Congratulations! :love: :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! What a great find!!!

P

PierreBear

What a wonderful story and way to go husband! Congrats on 15 years!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a great story! That diamond was meant to be yours! :love: I'll tell you, I am very picky about antique cushions. I might like 1 in 50. This appears to be a really nicely cut one from what I can see in the pictures! The specs are great and allow the price be in a reasonable realm! So happy for you and can't wait to see what your permanent setting plans are!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW! Just goes to show, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A GOOD LOCAL JEWELER!!!

I know that there are a lot of them out there, and the good ones are still doing just fine, while boatloads of the lesser ones are going broke and out of business.

I am so excited for you that you live near one of those good ones. Thank you for sharing your momentous find with us, and kudos to your husband!

Wink

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the love for MY diamond (I get to say that!!!) and the anniversary congratulations.

Wink - Thanks, and while I think the Pricescope-approved folks in LA and NYC do an incredible job, it's nice to be able to see things in person. Plus, after speaking with him in person for an hour, he got to know me better and brought out this diamond, which was quite a bit different than the specs requested (but not really much pricier due to the color/clarity combo). Definitely a busy place.

And I forgot to mention, he wouldn't budge on price (he was giving me rap sheet credit for a trade on my existing stone and rap pricing for the OMB beauty), but he is changing the head on my pave platinum setting for free. It's not a simple or quick change, and I probably saved about $500.

I was able to zoom in on a photo to get a better image of the octagonal cutlet (correction - CULET, as I now know), as requested:

close_up.png

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since you asked what information might have been useful in helping you assess the stone, this last photo does show more information about the cut, but it's not head-on enough to show the facet pattern. People can buy round brilliant diamonds by the numbers, but with fancy cuts, the eyes are more important. If not in person, the photos need to be crisp and taken from the perfect angle(s).

The culet (it's not a cutlet) is lovely!

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
Cutlet, culet... tomato, tomatoe. Kidding. Thanks for the gentle correction. Clearly I just stumbled dumbly onto this diamond.

PS: it's pretty darn hard to take a detailed, head-on photo of a diamond. Plus he let me take it outside and I was nervous as h*ll that I was going to drop it.

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1488213407|4134290 said:
Wow, what a great story! That diamond was meant to be yours! :love: I'll tell you, I am very picky about antique cushions. I might like 1 in 50. This appears to be a really nicely cut one from what I can see in the pictures! The specs are great and allow the price be in a reasonable realm! So happy for you and can't wait to see what your permanent setting plans are!

Thanks, I'm glad you think it is nice. Jeweler played dumb when I asked him who recut the stone, but he did say it was someone in Los Angeles.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoooo hoooo! Score in every way, congratulations!! :appl: :appl: :love: Thank you for posting the wonderful story and pics, I loved reading about it and seeing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such an incredible stone and lovely story! Congrats!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved this stone from the second you posted the first pic asking for advice. Amazing. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
So lovely!! :love: :love: :love: Cheers for your husband, too! :appl:

Clio_C

Rough_Rock
soxfan|1488292875|4134609 said:
I loved this stone from the second you posted the first pic asking for advice. Amazing. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks soxfan. You and diamondseeker2006 have some of my fav rings on here (I am partial to CvB Inspired Designs). I love CvB; she was the vendor who looked at photos, videos and the GIA cert for me and advised that it was a solid purchase, and she'll likely be resetting this stone for me in about 9-12 months. Since we waaay overshot our budget on the stone, the setting has to wait.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results