shape
carat
color
clarity

2'ish ct Oval diamond hunt for a Tacori setting

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’m pretty new to diamond research. Most of my limited knowledge is for RB. But after a recent trip to the jeweler, I find that oval looks better on my hand (short fingers and all). I think I will be going with either the Tacori Classic Crescent style 2550 or Dantela style 2620. I think 2550 match my wedding band a little bit better. Please see picture below.

Tacori Classic Crescent 2550 2ct oval center stone

Tacori Dantela 2620 1.5 ct oval center stone

Now I am on a mission to hunt down an oval loose diamond that’s about 2’ish ct. I want to find something by mid-May (2 months time) since that’s the time that I’ll be buying my Tacori setting) I want to spend around $15k for the stone, but could go up a little if there’s a really nice stone. I think here are the bottom line criteria that I wanted:

Carat: 2’ish if price permits
Color: at least G since the paves of the Tacori are color G (wanted to shoot for F since color is more important in oval than in RB)
Clarity: this is the most confusing. Jeweler told me that I could go down to SI1 as long as it’s eyeclean. How do I know what’s eyeclean? Since I’m going with a halo ring, there might also be blemishes that is ok since the sides are wrapped around by the halo (or the prongs too)? And there are certain types of blemishes that are okay, and certain are not, right?
Cut: doesn’t apply to oval diamond, right?
Polish: shooting for Excellent
Symmetry: shooting for Excellent
Measurement: I already forgot what the jeweler tell me to find
L/W Ratio: per the jeweler, 1.34 to 1.38
Table %: upper 50’s, like 58 or 59
Depth %: not sure what’s best
Fluorescence: not sure what’s best
Girdle: not sure what’s best
Bow-tie: how much is consider little or a lot?

I know someone who has connection with diamond district in NYC that could help me with the diamond. Since I don’t know them personally, I would want to be armed with as much info as possible before I get in touch with them. However, if I could buy online (if it’s cheaper and reliable), I wouldn’t mind either. It’s just that buying online seems too risky. I do not know how to define “eyeclean” when buying online. I’ve browse through WF, BN and JA. JA has really good magnification view, but since it’s 18x, every little blemishes seems larger than life. Other sites just don’t have photos.

Also, does anyone use the advice from “The Diamond Pro”? https://www.diamonds.pro/

Very confuse with many things. I’ve already started pulling my hair out, and by the time it hits May, I’ll be bold. :wall: :wall: (hopefully by then I will also have a gorgeous ring so no one will pay attention to bolded head?)

Calling all PSer for help! Any light you could shed will be greatly appreciated!!! :bigsmile:

Bunfuns

2550_top.jpg

2550_back.jpg

2620_top.jpg

2620_side.jpg

k5678

Rough_Rock
You can learn a lot about ovals here, that's for sure! As far as a bow tie being too much.. I think it's all about what bothers you. You can ask the jeweler at the website if the stone is eye clean. Many that you have listed have a good reputation.. let them know about the settings you have and they might provide even more info regarding a coverup

If these are eye clean they look like they have potential. You can also request ASET and Idealscope imaging from James Allen (i believe up to 3)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.01-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-425673

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.84-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-467246

And this one is an example of the 'bow tie' you want to avoid... I think this would bother many, at least

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.07-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-353256

The one you picked also looks like it has potential!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please dont use up your asets from JA without input from people here on PS. I wouldnt order asets until you are ready to buy.
In the mean time you can look at lots of ovals and try to figure out what you like in an oval.

This is the kind of faceting pattern that you should be looking for (IMO)...but you would need to ask if this stone is eye-clean.
It very well may not be, but do look at the faceting pattern and how well it reflects light.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.81-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-319854

The cut on that 2.01 G that was posted does not look that good and I dont think it has all that good light return.

That 1.80 G doesn't look to bad...worth a further look.

Those are the only 2 decent ones I am seeing at JA (the 1.81 G and the 1.80 G).

That $17k (1.84 F) one might be nice but not sure if it's too far out of your budget.

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much k5678 and tyty333 for both of your input.

I think I do like the 1.80 G SI1 for $14,840. On JA's 360 view it looks pretty clean. It also fits into my budget.

I do agree that the 1.84 F VVS2 is also looking great. I could go up to $17k budget, since I have 2 settings I'm choosing from, I'll just go with the Dantela instead of the Class Crescent. With that ct size, I'm sure it'll look great on both.

My question when looking at both of the specs are:
1. Girdle: Med or Thick-VThick - which is better?
2. Depth: the 1.84 F VVS2's dimension is slightly smaller, the depth% is 67.7, vs the 1.8 G SI1's 63. I'm assuming 63 is better?
3. Fluorescence: None better than Faint Blue?

Just by looking at the specs, I think I like both of them. Do you think the bow-tie is worse in the 1.8 G SI1 though?

Are there any other sites that's good for looking at diamonds? I like JA but they don't seem to have that many to choose from.

Bunfuns

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Btw, how often does jewelry store gets new diamond in? So far I don't think there are many choices for a 2 ct oval that looks good on paper. But if they have new stock very so often, I should probably just wait for new ones to surface?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bunfuns|1426049086|3845380 said:
Thank you so much k5678 and tyty333 for both of your input.

I think I do like the 1.80 G SI1 for $14,840. On JA's 360 view it looks pretty clean. It also fits into my budget.

I do agree that the 1.84 F VVS2 is also looking great. I could go up to $17k budget, since I have 2 settings I'm choosing from, I'll just go with the Dantela instead of the Class Crescent. With that ct size, I'm sure it'll look great on both.

My question when looking at both of the specs are:
1. Girdle: Med or Thick-VThick - which is better? Med is better, some cutters hide extra weight in the girdle.
2. Depth: the 1.84 F VVS2's dimension is slightly smaller, the depth% is 67.7, vs the 1.8 G SI1's 63. I'm assuming 63 is better?
3. Fluorescence: None better than Faint Blue? Either IMO, but there are people in the real world who still think Fluor is bad.

Looks like you are getting caught up in the numbers. With Fancy cut stones, you have to go more by the looks and by aset
images. The numbers just dont tell you enough. (whether its a good stone or not)

Just by looking at the specs, I think I like both of them. Do you think the bow-tie is worse in the 1.8 G SI1 though?
I dont think its *too* bad. It has some large facets through the middle but it looks to be a pretty bright stone.

Are there any other sites that's good for looking at diamonds? I like JA but they don't seem to have that many to choose from.

Bunfuns

You could keep an eye on Ritani. They only have a few with videos. And...you already know not to buy one without pictures/videos/
asets...
https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/diamond-inventory?advanced_shown=&sliders_used=%2Cdays_to_ship%2Cprice%2Cweight&compared_diamonds=&page=1&search%5Bshape%5D=OV&shape_change=0&from_price=194&to_price=15000&from_weight=1.75&to_weight=40.52&search%5Bcut_grade%5D=&search%5Bcolor%5D=&search%5Bclarity%5D=&from_days_to_ship=0&to_days_to_ship=&search%5Blab_polish%5D=&search%5Blab_symmetry%5D=&search%5Bfluorescence_intensity%5D=&from_table_percent=50.0&to_table_percent=84.0&from_depth_percent=0.0&to_depth_percent=80.0&search%5Bculet_size%5D=&search%5Blab%5D=&from_length_to_width_ratio=0.98&to_length_to_width_ratio=19.62&sortOrder=asc&sortField=price&showAll=1

Another place you can try is Enchanted Diamonds...I have a hard time telling anything from their videos though.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?shape=Oval&make=Ideal&color=D,E,F,G,H&clarity=VVS1,VVS2,VS1,VS2,SI1&grading_lab=GIA,EGL%20USA,AGS,HRD&our_price=100.00-15135.61&carat=1.75-10.00&vp=0

I'm not sure how often new stones come in...you just have to keep looking or ask a vendor.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to not look at the paper first. Ovals must be narrowed down visually. That F VVS oval looked really great, and that would be one that I would then look at diameter, etc. Then choose the best three to put on hold and get ASETs. But you do not do this unless you are ready to buy because those stones may be gone and others may be available. Two of these are on hold now, so if it is you, I hope you are ready to buy now!

Be sure you are looking at the diameter to be aware of size differences. Things like depth and girdle size affect the diameter of the stone. Even though the G SI1 and F VVS are close to the same weight, the G faces up larger. It will be a visible difference. But also keep in mind that if your fingers are short below the knuckle and you plan to wear bands, you want to be aware of the length especially if it is going in a halo.

Buying online gives you the most options. I wouldn't do it any other way, other than sometimes I recommend Good Old Gold to call some in to help select the one with the best cut and light return and they will make a video comparing the top prospects. They do carry Tacori, as well.

Marina87

Rough_Rock
STUNNING engagement ring! Excellent setting and diamond! :appl: :appl:

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker2006,

Thanks for your input. I am planning to make the purchase of Tacori setting in mid-May (at a truck show) so I do have a little bit of time. And no, I'm not the one who hold those 2 stones, I think I'm nowhere near there. :(

I do have question on the depth and girdle. What should I be looking for? For sure I'll like something that has a decent surface base on the diameter, but wouldn't want it if it's cut to shollow, right? Just wanted to see around what number I should try to aim for.

So GOG could find a stone for me and they could make a video of it? I think I could get to their store if they could find something I like as I go to NY every other week, although Long Island is even further than the city. They have pretty good reputation right? Knowledgeable and honest?

Bunfuns

k5678

Rough_Rock
When you say you'll be purchasing the setting in mid may, you won't have it right in hand then right? I just want to make sure that your setting will be made to fit the dimensions of your stone. I believe you can send your stone to tacori and they will set it as well but I know that can be nerve wracking.

Yes good old gold has a great reputation here, although I have not personally worked with them but they so make comparison videos. You can even search for their previous ones on youtube.

As far as specs... I use this as a guide, but as you know.. specs aren't everything :)

http://www.lumeradiamonds.com/diamond-education/oval-diamond

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi k5678,

No, I'm purchasing the Tacori setting at a truck show with their Blue Diamond Partner in LI, HL Gross. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I don't think I'll be getting the ring right away. I am assuming I will get the diamond and give it to Tacori (or HL Gross) so they could set it in CA? Tacori setting has different price for the size of center stone, so as long as I go with that guideline, I think it should be ok. But I know I definitely want Tacori to set the stone.

Lol, I've actually been watching GOG's videos on YouTube for a couple of weeks now. And now that I know I want to go with oval, I am watching all the videos they have on comparing oval. They have pretty good footage and I like the way he compare the different diamonds and tell us what he's looking at. I read some reviews on Yelp and Google too, but there aren't really that many. So far it seems like they are huge on PS and have a good reputation, so I'll go with that. I will also be contacting the person I was working with at HL Gross to see what they have to offer. But just by the look of their store, I know it won't be cheap.

Bunfuns

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
I contacted GOG asking them to start a search for an oval for me. Sounded like in the $15k budget, the options are more in the H color, 1.7ct H VS, 1.8ct H SI, 1.7ct G SI1, and lastly a 2ct H SI.

I was planning on getting a Tacori setting (so far the 2620 and 2550 are what i'm considering), and their melees are G color. Should I just stick with my gun for color G? Or do you think the melee are so small that it doesn't matter?

Thanks for your input!!

Bunfuns

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG is a Tacori retailer (and may give you a bit of a price break if you purchase the entire ring -- diamond & mounting -- from them) :))

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi MollyMalone,

I've thought about getting the Tacori ring from GOG, but checked their price online and they are actually more expensive than the jewelry store that I went to. Also, Tacori will have a truck show in May and I'm hoping that there will be a little bit more discount or other incentive. So that's why I didn't mention to them that I will be getting the ring from them.

You think they might offer a price break for the whole ring? Maybe I should ask?

Bunfuns

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be surprised if you can get a better price at the trunk show than what the jeweler is listing it for. Usually, the financial incentive connected with a trunk show order is a gift card to be applied to another, future purchase.

And yes, don't be shy about speaking with GOG about this -- and telling them the lower prices the neighboring jeweler is listing the Tacoris for. It will be much easier to work with just 1 vendor. You yourself cannot send a diamond to Tacori; they only accept orders, and diamonds, from their retail partners.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. You need not limit yourself to ovals that GIA or AGS has graded G in color just because the smaller melee stones (rarely graded byindependent labs) are described by Tacori as being G. A well cut H oval will be fine.

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Contacted GOG and based on the criteria I provided (where I expanded my search to color H now since most people I spoke with seems to think it's not much different compared to color G), Stephanie came back with the following (with no GIA# which is their way of doing business):
1. 1.7 H VS - under $15k
2. 1.8 H SI1 - under $15k
3. 1.7 G SI1 - under $15k
4. 2.0 H SI1 - $15,740

I also asked if she could bring in these 2 stones:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-382282
http://www.idjewelry.com/oval-mj344232.html

When I ask if her about the above 2 stones, she asked if I could send her the link of where I found it, so I provided it to her. Maybe she wanted to check the prices that I am looking at?

Am I on the right track? Budget's around $15k to $17k.

Thanks for your input in advance!!

Bunfuns

k5678

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert, but I think since you contacted GOG you are on the right track!! Some people say to be careful with G and H colored ovals but it depends on what you want and what you see

I would love to see the video from GOG with the comparison. I am also in the market for an oval too (much smaller though.. 1.3) and just love seeing the videos!

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi h5678,

Yes, I know, initially I wanted to go no lower than color G in oval as well since the Tacori setting's melees are color G and oval tends to absorb color from surrounding. But there are many that didn't seem to think I don't need to be that strict in terms of color, nicely cut diamond is more important. I think at this point I'll put my trust in GOG. I just paid $250 deposit to have GOG shipped diamond in for analysis. Hopefully they'll find something decent soon. I'll definitely share any info that I got. :wink2:

How's your search going? Are you working with any PS vetted vendor? Which setting are you considering?

Bunfuns

k5678

Rough_Rock
Oh good! I'm glad because I think I will probably need to expand my search to include H colored as well! A good cut really does seem to be the most important thing. Can't wait to see the videos!!

I am working with a local jeweler for my setting with is just a simple cathedral setting with diamonds on the band. We haven't finalized the setting because he needs to know the exact measurements before he can do that. He is bringing some stones in for us to look at but I'm only giving him one chance haha! Then it will be GOG.

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Lol, I like your approach, taking matters into your own hand!! You go girl!!

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Re: 2ct Oval diamond hunt for a Tacori setting

Hi all,

The time has come!! GOG got a few ovals in and send over a video. One more coming next week.

Take a look and let me know what you think? Do you agree with what GOG picked as the winner in the bunch, which is the one on the right in the video??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFb328vrLrI&feature=youtu.be

Analysis from GOG:
They are the two 2ct H SI1s which are also eye clean. The 1.7 F VVS1 is certainly not 'bad' but the bowtie is quite obvious where as in the two 2ct H SI1s, they are almost nonexistent, especially the one on the right. The reason why I am favoring the 2ct H SI1 all the way on the right is because the overall shape of it is perfect for an oval with a great 1:41:1 ratio and it faces up very white even in comparison to the other 2ct H because it has faint fluorescence which is affecting the diamond in a positive way, making it face up whiter like a G. I attached a picture below of the two H's next to each other so you can see if you notice the difference. The one that faces up white is on the right.

Throughout the video the three diamonds are in the order of 1.74ct F, 2ct H SI1 and 2ct H SI1. The only time the order is switched is when I held all three together. The order in that portion is 2ct H, 2ct H, and 1.74ct F.

Diamond pages (in order of the video)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-7ct-f-vvs1-oval-diamond.html

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2ct-h-si1-oval-diamond-1.html

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2ct-h-si1-oval-diamond.html

Thanks so much in advance for your input!!
Bunfuns

_28198.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the video and decided on the 3rd one before I read the analysis by GOG. So, I agree with GOG. The first one
has a bow-tie and is smaller. The middle one is nice in the bow-tie area but I dont like the length. The third one has a great
shape and does have a bow-tie but its not unpleasant for lack of a better term.

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
I totally agreed with you on the middle stone, it's not a l/w ratio that I like, it's too narrow for my taste. The 3rd one (2ct H SI1) on the right looks better in terms of shape, bow-tie less than the 1st, but I feel like it's still quite a bit more bowtie compare to the middle one? Or is it something just the way I'm looking at it?

Do you see the difference in color in any of the lighting? The picture provided demonstrated the 3rd one is whiter than the 2nd one. But I'm not sure if it's going to be far from F? Since some people advice staying away from H, some say ok...

So, zeroing in on the 3rd one in the video. How does the faceting pattern look, is it considered good? How does the sparks and light reflection performance? I haven't seen too many ovals so don't know how this compares to others that are considered good.

Also, the info page on GOG didn't post the symmetry and polish, should I ask for that info??

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Hi again,

Zeroing in on the 3rd stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2ct-h-si1-oval-diamond.html

I need help in the pictures that GOG has on this oval. There are virtual pictures, aset, and diamxray, the clairty shots. I'm not sure how to evaluate them. Are they consider good? There seems to be a scratch on the surface of the stone, that they pointed out, but the stone is considered "eye clean". How should I interpret that? Is the bow-tie consider minimal?

Thanks!
Bunfuns

k5678

Rough_Rock
Yay the videos are in!!! I totally agree.. I like that third stone the best. The second stone is gorgeous but longer and skinnier for my taste. But I do remember you are looking at halo settings. There is another post in here about ovals and l/w ratio. If the halo is, for example, 1.5 mm all the way around... it will lower the total ratio. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it in here. Just something to think about!

The second and third both look amazing though and thanks for sharing the video!!

emeraldluvr

Rough_Rock
Looks amazing!! Great diamond!

bunfuns

Rough_Rock
Yea, I agree, I like the 3rd stone much more than the 2nd one. Currently I'm leaning towards getting the Tacori Dantela, so the halo should be very slim, but I'm not sure on the measurement of it tho. I think for my size 6 finger that's not too long, I rather the oval to be a bit shorter rather than longer, especially when pairing it with my wedding band that's 5mm. :dance:

I'll try to find the measurement on the halo and see what the final ratio would be, thanks for your link!!

Bunfuns

k5678|1427122283|3851291 said:
Yay the videos are in!!! I totally agree.. I like that third stone the best. The second stone is gorgeous but longer and skinnier for my taste. But I do remember you are looking at halo settings. There is another post in here about ovals and l/w ratio. If the halo is, for example, 1.5 mm all the way around... it will lower the total ratio. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it in here. Just something to think about!

The second and third both look amazing though and thanks for sharing the video!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results