shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct emerald cut diamond. Ordered an engagement ring.

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
So I've been looking for an engagement ring for a little while and finally got everything I wanted for a price I could afford. She wanted an emerald cut and I wanted to get her 2cts. I had to go with a J color. I preferred an H but it just wasnt in my price range by alot. It looks pretty clear to me. Maybe a slight yellow tint. It's going to be set in white gold so hopefully it doesnt get any bad yellow color to it.

I had looked for several months and most 2cts were fairly expensive from stores and buying from an online store I would have to worry about insurance and finding a jewler ro make any repairs. A local chain robbins brothers does lab diamonds which puts the 2 ct in my price range and I'd been checking online and in stores for one I could afford. Well i finally found one from a brick and mortar store with all the warranty, insurance, and service plan included that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I go to bed not having to worry about it.
20190227_190053.jpg
20190227_190002.jpg 282640073.jpg Screenshot_20190228-105601_Samsung Internet.jpg
I took the picture on my hand but apparently I'm doing it all wrong. That's how I was told it shows a good comparison for the size but I'm also a 6ft tall man with fairly large hands while my future fiance is 5'3 and pretty petite so it oughta be a monster on her hand. And I handled it with my hands which put smudges and fingerprints on it. He said you handle it with the tweezers to keep it clean. Lesson learned.

The ring I got custom ordered and they havent contacted me back on yet. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly. I delt with the manager as I haggled some. He gave me a total price for the ring diamond warrantys and everything. When I paid I only paid for the diamond though so I got the numbers together so hopefully it all comes out like I should. He had it all wrote down but it wasn't a contract or anything binding so I'm praying he sticks to his word. Worst case I could always return the diamond and start the search over again.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should ask to move this to the lab grown diamonds forum : )

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
How do I go about doing that?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hit Report Concern at the bottom of your post and ask if a nice moderator/admin can move it to the Lab Grown diamonds section of the forum :)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you ask your fiancé about going with a lab grown diamond? Before you go too far I would ask her about that. She might think it is okay but she might prefer a smaller and real/natural diamond.

TXMike06

Rough_Rock
Hit Report Concern at the bottom of your post and ask if a nice moderator/admin can move it to the Lab Grown diamonds section of the forum :)

Thanks will do.

Did you ask your fiancé about going with a lab grown diamond? Before you go too far I would ask her about that. She might think it is okay but she might prefer a smaller and real/natural diamond.

Yes we talked about it before. She said as long as it's a real diamond and not a mossianite she will be happy. Her friends have them and she doesnt prefer them and I kinda worked into conversation lab grown and she said she would prefer it to get a bigger stone for the same price.

So I am wondering since I've got it home. I cant find any other diamonds in the 2-2.5 carat range as big as this one. The length width is massive for its ct weight compared to most other diamonds I find online. But the thickness is a little less. Does this seem like an issue to anyone? The more I look the better I feel about what I paid for it though. I got it for $10,000 especially since it has the replacement warranty with it at that price as long as she brings it in once a year to get inspected once it gets set into the ring.

Found some cheaper on brilliant earth but then I'd have to worry about insurance policies and paying for them every year and getting things replaced if something was to happen.

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no knowledge to contribute, just more questions. Although diamonds are not considered investments, as such, will a lab stone maintain it’s value to the same degree as an earth-mined diamond? Are lab stones a fad? Or are they long term mainstream now?
Considering the cost, these are questions I would want answered.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TXMike06, did she say "real diamond". Most women, not all but most, would not consider a lab grown diamond to be a a real diamond.
@Jimmianne's question addressed this and it is on point. Diamonds are already a risky purchase you will typically get around 50% of what you paid for them second hand and lab diamond though you wont even get that. Even within this issue it appears you've overpaid. I found a H/VS1 ideal cut emerald at pretty close to the same price.
2.4 H/VS1 10,650$
MGJ154819_800x.jpg

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ts/2-40ct-h-vs1-lab-grown-emerald-cut-diamond

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:9ff02860-045f-4c03-9600-badb1faf3afb

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
@TXMike06, did she say "real diamond". Most women, not all but most, would not consider a lab grown diamond to be a a real diamond.
@Jimmianne's question addressed this and it is on point. Diamonds are already a risky purchase you will typically get around 50% of what you paid for them second hand and lab diamond though you wont even get that. Even within this issue it appears you've overpaid. I found a H/VS1 ideal cut emerald at pretty close to the same price.
2.4 H/VS1 10,650$
MGJ154819_800x.jpg

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ts/2-40ct-h-vs1-lab-grown-emerald-cut-diamond

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:9ff02860-045f-4c03-9600-badb1faf3afb

Oh yeah.. just as I started to read this thread I thought about this stone Rhino has. Fabulous optics! There's YouTube video as well.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 5 cents.
Those service / insurance / annual cleaning policies sold by B &M stores along with their rings are pretty much useless.
It’s a marketing ploy, keeps you coming back to the store and hopefully buying more stuff!
1. A properly set diamond doesn’t “fall out”.
2. Special cleaning - anyone can buy an ultrasonic cleaner
3. Insurance - READ the policy very very carefully. They are often very specific in what they cover and nigh impossible to make a claim on. They usually only cover “failure of the setting” not for eg “inflicted damage” ie your fiancé fell over and damaged the setting or theft or loss worldwide.
You are MUCH better off getting a proper jewellery insurance policy that covers every type of loss or damage.
As for the “natural” vs “man grown” debate - diamonds are not investments. Any time you buy retail, just like a new car, the moment you exit the store the value drops 30% or so.
A natural diamond is still rare enough to keep a secondary market value (albeit reduced value) but a man made may have little to no secondary market and in 5 years time they might be churning them out for $100 a carat.
So while a $10,000 natural diamond might resell on the secondary market for $6,000 or so in 5 years time (upgrade / change in financial circumstances) but your $10,000 man grown diamond might only be worth $200.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure you can return the diamond? How much time do you have left in the return period? I don’t care for the color of it on your hand, but would need more pics in different lighting to truly judge the color. Based on the limited info we have the diamond @cokitty posted seems much nicer and a better deal, too.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
The B&M insurance plans come with conditions and are generally worthless.

Not getting anything in writing is a disaster waiting to happen. No professional works that way and that is a HUGE red flag. Run away from this jeweller - or at least go back and get everything in writing! Don’t be so silly! Of course you must get everything in writing! MUST! (Did I say that enough?)

Working with online vendors is a breeze and they will service what they sell. The shipping is super easy even if you have to buy insurance, and usually you don’t. It’s really nothing to be concerned about unless you think you’re going to need regular and ongoing repairs. Honestly, this is not a good enough reason to get less value for your money from a B&M store. If you have a look on YouTube, there are many videos comparing online to B&M stores. The only thing to worry about is the trustworthiness of your vendor, and there are so many testimonials around here, you can see the recommended vendors are trustworthy.

As long as lab-grown prices are what they are, I’m sure you could find a buyer. It’s usually said that lab-grown diamonds are worthless on the second-hand market, but really, I’m sure there would be someone out there willing to buy it ... maybe not for much or for much longer. With Lightbox coming out with cheap lab-grown diamonds, it’s expected the market price on new will soon fall so much that they will have no value in the second-hand market.

I do wish you the best and hope it all works out well! A two carat emerald cut is a beautiful and classic idea! I’m sure she’ll love whatever you end up buying ... even if from the B&M. :wink2:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you can return your stone, the one August Vintage has is really nice. I actually thought about getting that stone but I didn't want to spend my money!

On the lab grown v natural value...well, I am of the camp that you always lose when you sell a stone or piece second hand. I think most preloved private party sales are at least 30 percent off, if not more. I wouldn't look at a resale value really. What I would look at is trade in or up policies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results