Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct ACA F VS1 vs. G VS1

Andromeda

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am conflicted between these two ~2ct ACA diamonds. The one on the left is F VS1 and the one in the right is G VS1. There is a price jump from G to F. The G is a high-G. Am not sure if I should go for the G or stick with the F. Will the color difference be discernible IRL? I don't have diamonds that size so have no idea how G looks like at that size. Would really appreciate any and all help from all of you.

Thank you in advance :)

Comparison.jpg Top View (White).jpg Body Color.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So while one cannot accurately judge color from photos one can compare and I do see a big difference between the two. The F appears much whiter to my eye.

It comes down to how important color is to you. There is no right or wrong here. Just what makes the most sense for you.

FWIW if I had the slightest bit of hesitation re the color I would choose the F. In the long run it might make the most financial sense if you had a change of heart and wanted to upgrade to a higher color later on...food for thought. Only you know what is most important to you.

Both beautiful diamonds. :love:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They both look gorgeous and it is hard to go wrong with ACAs, but color sensitivity is a very personal preference and it may be difficult to judge whether you notice a perceptible difference between the F and the G without seeing them IRL. Would it be possible to order both stones so you can compare them side by side? If not, perhaps requesting a video of them would be helpful. If the price jump is significant, you can always order the G and if the tint bothers you, then you can exchange for the F. It's a fun dilemma to have, though! Good luck!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would also ask if the F is a high F. I would not pay extra for low F vs. high G. The pics on here are so blown up that IRL, I do not believe you will see much of a difference given that a G color is on top of the near colorless range AND this is a high G.G is still white. And from the top, they both look identical - and that is how you will wear the stone, not bottom up.

I see more of a size difference (G being bigger) so I would definitely pick that one.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the color difference with the pavilion sides up but only see an ever-so-sight difference in the face up views. I would not
personally would not want to pay the extra for the F because color doesnt bother me that much. However, its all about how you
feel about color, your tolerance to color, and your wallet!

The F is obviously a very safe choice as far as color. If the price difference were minimal then I would surely go for the F. So there you
have it....my non-committal answer :lol::???:

Andromeda

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the inputs. I have emailed them to ask if the F is high, medium or low F and will update here once I hear back.

I am considering the Vatche U-113 setting, and from the pictures here on Pricescope, it seems the bottom tip (??) of the diamond is sort-of visible to the wearer. Please correct me if I am wrong. Since, as the wearer, I'll see the diamond mostly from the side-view (not sure am using the correct terminology here), am curious about your views and experiences regarding whether once mounted on a white metal and on the finger, you can find any discernible color in G diamonds.

Honestly, I am leaning towards the F, but if the F and G will look virtually identical once on the finger, I would rather save the ~$3k difference :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I am leaning towards the F, but if the F and G will look virtually identical once on the finger, I would rather save the ~$3k difference :)
TBH, $3K difference isn't bad for a 2ct. I'd pay it. I'm in the G/H camp but if I can afford an F color I'll go for it!.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can definitely see the difference between the F-G in the face down picture but not in the other face up pictures. Will you be able to see the difference once set? I don’t know. What’s important to you? I agree with Dancing Fire, 3K difference is not that much in this size. If you can’t see them together to compare IRL maybe have WF take a video of them side by side.

ETA - I see Carbonfan already suggested a video

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Depends on what your sweet spot for color sensitivity is. It does vary a lot between people. Some cannot see tint or can see but the tint absolutely doesn’t bother them, and some do see and feel bothered.

If tint bothers you, I say go for the F. If not, then G is great.

I would go for the F if the price is ok... mind clean thing plus I can see tint at G. But ultimately it’s whether you will feel bothered by the tint or not.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd lean towards the G. Color difference looks slight to me.

I have the Vatche U-113 and no, you cannot see the tip of the culet. My stone is I color and I notice no tint from the side at all in that setting. You mainly look at your diamond from the top anyway. You won't see tint from the side in either of those stones in normal viewing.

The G looks like the crown height is higher which would also be nice. Are the diameters the same?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I love G colored stones and a ”high G” would be my ideal color for a stone! But only you know if you will be happy with ot or if you’ll always be looking at it to see if you see any tint and wondering if you should have gone with the F. And yeah, if the diameter of the G is bigger, that would also influence my decision!

Andromeda

Rough_Rock
So, I got more information to share! The F stone is marginally larger than the G, not sure why the G looks larger in pictures. Also the F is a solid F and the G is a high G.

My stud earrings are 1.5ctw D IF solitaires. No idea why I thought it was a great idea to go D IF for earrings! I kind of see the tint in the pictures and have a feeling that if I get the G stone, even if the faint tint is not perceptible to human eyes in normal everyday situations, in my mind, I'll see color!

Is there that much of a difference between solid F and high G?

@diamondseeker2006 Did you ask your diamond to be set at the default height or lower? Does it feel comfortable and the right height when you wear your ring? Would love to know your experience.

marrduk24

Rough_Rock
Like everyone else said color is a very personal thing. I have personally done blind color sampling a few times and have always found it hard to distinguish between colors. So overtime have settled on H as sweet-spot.

Between these two I would have picked G.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I kind of see the tint in the pictures and have a feeling that if I get the G stone, even if the faint tint is not perceptible to human eyes in normal everyday situations, in my mind, I'll see color!

I think that this, combined with the fact that you have D earrings, tells me that you would be more comfortable with the F. Plus it’s a smidge bigger!

magpie2

Rough_Rock
No doubt they will both be beautiful stones, but to me the G is particularly crisply cut and livelier in both the face-up pics. Perhaps that's why it looks larger than the F even though it's not? Yes, there may be a HINT of tint in the G in the top down shot, when sat alongside the F, but once it's mounted you will never see that view or comparison again.
Nice problem to have though!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I got more information to share! The F stone is marginally larger than the G, not sure why the G looks larger in pictures. Also the F is a solid F and the G is a high G.

My stud earrings are 1.5ctw D IF solitaires. No idea why I thought it was a great idea to go D IF for earrings! I kind of see the tint in the pictures and have a feeling that if I get the G stone, even if the faint tint is not perceptible to human eyes in normal everyday situations, in my mind, I'll see color!

Is there that much of a difference between solid F and high G?

@diamondseeker2006 Did you ask your diamond to be set at the default height or lower? Does it feel comfortable and the right height when you wear your ring? Would love to know your experience.

No one is going to be able to tell the difference between your earrings when they are on your ear and your ring so if that is the only hesitation go for the G if the color appeals to you. Otherwise seeing them both in person will be the decision maker IMO. If you can.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    March Birthstone 2021 - Aquamarine
    March Birthstone 2021 - Aquamarine
    Soapy Love
    Soapy Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.