shape
carat
color
clarity

Digital Cameras and Camcorders--Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Okay. I''ve been trying to figure out a fun gift for my FH, and I think I''ve got it. I want to get him a really nice professional digital camera and/or a basic digital camcorder. I have not yet started looking at the various models, but thought I''d check with you all to see what cameras you have and love, or those which you covet. As we will be going to Fiji for over 2 weeks on our honeymoon and are planning on diving a fair amount, I''d LOVE to get a small camcorder that I can get a waterproof housing for.

Now, we already have housing for one of our digital cameras, so we do not need a digital camera to take in the water. What my FH REALLY wants is a professional quality digital camera that is capable of expansion, and can be put in manual modes (choosing your own f-stop etc.). What I want is to not spend a ridiculous amount of money (over $2000).

So, any ideas/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!!

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
Canon Digital Rebel XT, new version, base sells for 800, and a base lens 18-55mm is $100. The body is just as good as the higher end 20D, and far less expensive. I won''t give you all the technical info here, I''ll put a link below. Canon has wide variety of lenses, and ef and ef-s lenses, that will be adaptable to other bodies.
It is a professional level camera, with a small price tag. Your hubbie will be very pleased with this camera.

You can read a full review and all the specs:
Canon Rebel XT Review

Canon sells waterproof shells for MOST of their cameras, that are guaranteed, if they break they will replace the camera. (They don''t void the warranty.)

Hope this helps.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Bless you!!! I will check this out immediately! You''re the best!!!

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
1.gif

Let me know what you think.
I can make some other suggestions, if you don't like something about the Canon 350D XT (Digital Rebel). Although, honestly, it's a GREAT camera, I have one myself. (and I've owned quite a few cameras, by other/many makers.)

Does he own lenses from anyone?

What kind of photography is he interested in? (Landscape, Portraits, Sports, etc.)
That could affect what might be best for him.

Marlo.

momothree

Shiny_Rock
The Digital Rebel is a great camera at a great price. For the past two years I''ve been using the Canon 10D, which is a step up from the Rebel and a step down from the 20D (I bought it before either of those cameras were introduced); frankly it is not THAT different from the Rebel and I paid over $2000 for the body alone.

One suggestion if you decide to go with the Rebel. I would not waste my money on the cheap zoom lens that comes with the camera. I would instead do a little research about the type of lens that would be most appropriate for his photographic interests. Putting a $100 zoom lens on that camera is like putting a CZ in a Leon Mege platinum ring, if you get my PS-ish analogy. However, that doesn''t mean you need to spend tons on a lens. An excellent quality 50mm lens will only run about $100. Good zooms are $300+. I highly recommend the website Photo.net -- you can learn TONS about cameras, lenses and photographic techniques by hanging out there for a little while.

Good luck!

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
I disagree with MomOfThree, For $100, the basic 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens is a great deal. If you're not a professional, and you don't need a really fast lens, there's no point in NOT buying the basic kit lens.

I own many L-series lenses, and have spent some time with the base zoom, and was very pleased the results of the kit lens. I think it's $100 well spent. I suspect that researcher's hubbie is just heading into the wonderful world of digital slrs.

MomofThree is right, Canon offers a great 50mm f/1.8 II lens for $75, you can't beat the price! And you'll be amazed the level of optics this lens offers. I LOVE THIS LENS! (The 50mm f/1.4 USM lens is about $300) One warning about the $75 50mm f/1.8 lens, if you drop it - it will break. But for $75 you can afford to replace it.

I agree with MomOfThree in that his photographic interests will dictate what kind of lenses you should buy. If he likes landscape photography he migh prefer wide angle lens, if he likes portraits he may prefer something in the 100s, if he wants to shoot sports or birds he many need a longer telephoto lens,etc. I think investment in fine lenses is something that comes in time as he develops a style, and preferences. (which he may already have.) But like I said Canon has a wide array of lenses which can grow with you. (Canon's ef and ef-s mount is pretty much universal to their bodies. This CANNOT be said of Nikon, who has been known to change their mounts and piss off their customers.)

Researcher tell us more about your hubby's photography style/habits.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thank you both! I just read a ton of reviews on this camera, and they all look great! I will DEFINITELY check it out this weekend.

Now, to answer your questions, I don''t think there will be a primary use for the camera. He will be using it for landscape shots (we plan on traveling a ton), sports (he volunteer coaches Pee Wee football), taking pictures of kids at plays/parties (I''m a god mommy to 9 kids), and pictures of people at various events. Oh, and lest I forget, my diamonds!

I''m not being very helpful, huh? Sorry!

Now, do you know of a good camcorder as well? Maybe something around $300-400? It''s looking like I can now get him both the digital and the camcorder!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results