shape
carat
color
clarity

30x Loupe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking to buy a new loupe because i dropped mine off a balcony and it shattered. How genius of me.
20.gif
How much should I expect to pay? is there anything I should look for? My old one was fantastic, the edges were very clear and it didn''t distort the image... however, a 16x one I have is terrible and i don''t want something like that!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Seems promising. Dave Atlas has had a couple of posts on this, one in the last several months describing a good loupes'' qualities, and I think the one you found has those. Also, in his other post, he recommends 20X, which I''ve found is quite helpful, or at least better than 10X, for reading things like inscriptions (but talented jewelers seem to have no problem with 10X on that, from what I''ve seen).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have a good 10x and i can see the laser inscriptions with it, but i LOVED my 30x and really want to get another one! It''s overkill most of the time, so maybe a 20x will be enough.
2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
FK,

I bought a loupe from ebay and it''s just so so. You may want to check out Otto Frei. They have tons and prices are good too. I''ll buy my next one there.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We do sell a couple loupes. THe mosre costly one is suitable for anyone, prefessionals included. THe less costly one still is totally adequate and much like the one I have used for the past 20 years. A lot depends on your own experience and a good pair of eyes. 30x is a very difficult loupe to use. It requires a very close focal point, has a relatively narrow field of view, less depth of field, and magnifies shaky hand motion. It is way too much magnification for diamond work.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Dave, what do you think of the 20x one i posted?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2005 2:39:27 PM
Author: noobie
FK,

I bought a loupe from ebay and it''s just so so. You may want to check out Otto Frei. They have tons and prices are good too. I''ll buy my next one there.
is that a seller on ebay? i searched it and couldn''t find him...

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Here you go . They have Bausch and Lomb as well for much less than I''ve seen elsewhere. Lot''s of neat gadgets too.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Btw, diamonds aren''t the only things i use the loupe on... i love louping everything from flowers, bugs, to skin, hair, etc... and the 10x just isn''t powerful enough!

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/13/2005 12:49:47 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Seems promising. Dave Atlas has had a couple of posts on this, one in the last several months describing a good loupes'' qualities, and I think the one you found has those. Also, in his other post, he recommends 20X, which I''ve found is quite helpful, or at least better than 10X, for reading things like inscriptions (but talented jewelers seem to have no problem with 10X on that, from what I''ve seen).
I have a question,
There have been sooooo many posts on which loupe to buy and which is best to see my laser inscription, etc. etc. but my question is are all laser inscriptions created equal? I''ve seen some pictures of inscription on other posts that show it barely at 30x and not a whole lot better at 200x.
Does the size on the inscription differ depending on the size of the girdle? I can see mine clearly with a 10x and even better with a 20x and the girdle on mine is med- slthk.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t forget the size of the diamond
2.gif
a .25ct stone will have a much smaller girdle (area to inscribe) than a 2.5ct.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results