shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a quality diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Frankiebaby

Rough_Rock
I saw this on ebay...and I know ebay can be sketchy, but I am looking for opinons! Thanks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=92906&item=4979103739&rd=1

Asscher (Square Emerald) Cut Diamond
Carats 2.91 Carat
Clarity VS1 (loupe clean)
Color I - White (Near Colorless)
Measurements 8 x 7.76 x 5.33 mm
Depth 68.7%
Table 60%
Symmetry Very Good
Polish Very Good
In a setting with two trapazoid diamonds totaling 0.55 carat, I colour VS diamonds
"Buy it now" price: US $16,230.00

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. there is no certificate - and there would be on a stone of said size and color.
2. the same photo has been used for the smaller stone at the bottom of the page.

You can buy diamonds from reputable on-line vendors here on pricescope, and if they rip you off, then post here and they will be outed. They can not afford that.
Do e-bay ever out bad vendors?

this is just too fishy

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I am a layperson at best, but just for comparison's sake, here's what came up with close to that criteria on a quick PS search

Carat Color Clarity Depth Tbl Lab Gdl Cul Sym Pol Flr Measurements $/Crt Price
3.00 I VS1 67% 74% GIA thn-thk no gd vg no 8.19x7.92x5.31 $8142 $24425S
3.00 I VS1 64.6% 72% EGL tn-m no vg vg no 8.25-8.22-5.33 $6359 $19078*SP
3.00 I VS1 64.6% 72% EGL tn-m no vg vg no 8.25*8.22*5.33 $6360 $19079*S
3.00 I VS1 64.6% 72% EGL tn-m no vg vg no 8.25*8.22*5.33 $6429 $19287*S

So....I will wait for the experts to weigh in, but the price does seem WAY low considering it includes two sidestones. (A WG 14k setting wouldn't add too much to the total?)

But on the other hand, this one came up on WF and it's a J VS2 with a smaller table (closer to the #s of the ebay one) so who knows!? I'd personally be a lot more comfortable with a GIA certd. stone vs. GHI for similar money--J is only one grade smaller and I would definitely trust WF's eye w/ regard to asschers......

Item Code: GIA-12308389
Price: $12,650.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Asscher
Carat: 2.84
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 65.4
Table: 63
Girdle: Thick-Very thick
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 8.00-7.97X5.21
Length/Width: 1.00

In general, .....the numbers just aren't usually enough to be able to tell what you're getting with so many fancies (do a search for asschers....the thread called all about asschers has a lot more info)

Good luck!

eta: for what it's worth, they use the exact same sample pic of the ring for this item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4977516852&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores
...which is a 1.96tccw ring....so you definitely don't see what you're getting, unfortunately.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
My friend bought a Swatch watch on ebay from somebody and it didn''t work and it was a fake! My friend contacted the seller and the seller returned his money so long as he didn''t write a bad review against him. He did so but then he reported the scam artist to ebay and they thanked him for the info but to this day the guy is still selling on ebay. Just beware!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
You''re right, Garry--I should have considered that when posting the #''s above for comparison''s sake. In general, I just can''t understand why anyone would use ebay for a purchase like this!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2005 11:28
6.gif
7 PM
Author: lmurden
My friend bought a Swatch watch on ebay from somebody and it didn''t work and it was a fake! My friend contacted the seller and the seller returned his money so long as he didn''t write a bad review against him. He did so but then he reported the scam artist to ebay and they thanked him for the info but to this day the guy is still selling on ebay. Just beware!
This is a bit off topic - but why would someone fake a Swatch Watch? I think I paid all about 20 bucks for mine. Was it a rare one or something? Not that I think one should fake anything - it''s just a little money for a lot of reputation.

That being said, unless I had MANY qualifications - i.e. could view the stone prior to sale, have reputable escrow, have the stone sent & held at an independent appraiser, make sure the seller is bonded, etc, etc. I wouldn''t buy such an expensive stone on ebay. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results