shape
carat
color
clarity

Fire opal picture (hopefully!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I''m posting this picture of an antique fire opal ring as a way to "test" my photo editing skills....anyway, it is very ol, set in old "rose" gold..... hope ther is a picture!!!!

newfireopal.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Looks like an Australian crystal opal, probably from the Coober Pedy mine.

The styling of the ring suggests an approximate dating of 1890, although the diamonds used are from an earlier period.

A nice, feminine piece with classic styling.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the comment...will post side view....the stone is unharmed, and is VERY fiery in the FL sunshine!!
Is there any way to make the diamonds shine at all? they are just chips..not faceted, and I can''t soak the ring or anything, due to the fragille opal....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome ring

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys!!! Hoefully a side view.....

rings 060.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Hey!!! Meant to say HOPEfully!!! Bad mistake!!!!! Anyway, the picture came out!!

emdgust.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Bump....for Belle

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooooh....absolutely beautiful!!! i love it!! what amazing color!
3.gif

do you have any more pieces to share? (that i missed!
2.gif
)

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Maxine and All,

That''s a fine opal and a great ring!

To be a little technical, professional opal people call opal with play of color "precious opal." Fire opal or Mexican fire opal is plain red, orange or yellow with no play of color. When fire opal has play of color it''s called either precious opal or precious Mexican opal. Not all experts agree with that last name, but after more than 30 years of cutting opal those are the names I hear most often among dealers.

In the image a fire opal is shown on the left; a precious Brazilian crystal opal in the center; and precious fire opal on the right.

Distinctions are made on the basis of base (potch) color which can be nearly any color from clear transparent to black; and whether or not the stone has play of color. The orange potch colors with or without play of color are typically from Mexico so "Mexican" is usually part of the name. Similar colors are also found in Brazil and Oregon, USA, and a few other places.

Richard M.

Precious & Mexican Fire.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
ooooh, thats pretty. Where did you get it?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2005 3:49:32 PM
Author: innerkitten
ooooh, thats pretty. Where did you get it?

Thanks for the compliment. If you''re referring to the image, I made it from my own photographs of a few of my stones. Nearly all the images I post are original images of stones in my stock.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
"bump" for Fire and Ice......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results