shape
carat
color
clarity

$2500 custom setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Willy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was quoted $2500 for a custom e-ring. 18k White gold size 7 1/2. Just the setting, I''m supplying the diamonds. The jeweler has several awards for design and craftsmanship and does amazing work. This is close to the ring with several changes, ie. square prongs, lower center stone, V claw setting

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-172.asp

Just wondering is this a high quote, or is the fine craftsmanship worth that much extra?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Are you supplying all the stones, including the ones in the band? If so that seems a little high for me for white gold, but it''s not totally off the mark. Jewelers can vary greatly in their pricing depending on name recognition, location, quality of work...if you like them I''d say go for it. If you are concerned about budget, you can probably get a better deal somewhere else, but there''s a lot to be siad for working with a vendor you like, especially for a custom job.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If you are supplying all the small side diamonds as well as the centre ? That is ridiculous.

If they are supplying the side diamonds and you are supplying the centre, depending on the tcw than it is about middle-ground..

But I get the feeling you meant the first option, in which case I would say run for the hills
40.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like an aweful lot to me.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I think I would be getting some other quotes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s quite expensive if you are supplying the 2 side diamonds. The price might be more in line if you said it’s in platinum AND all diamonds except the center stone.

Willy

Rough_Rock
Yes I would be supplying all the stones, the center and the 2 side stones. I was told it would be $1500 extra for the 8 accent stones, which is to much. My problem is I''m having trouble finding a goldsmith willing to mount "internet diamonds". I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 8:09:26 AM
Author: Willy
Yes I would be supplying all the stones, the center and the 2 side stones. I was told it would be $1500 extra for the 8 accent stones, which is to much. My problem is I''m having trouble finding a goldsmith willing to mount ''internet diamonds''. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Perhaps you should look into sending the diamonds out to an Internet Vendor and letting them to the work and send the finished product back to you? I''m not sure how that works with international shipping/fees though?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA does fantastic work and is an internet vendor, but I agree that the quote seems quite high. However, if you look at the link, it states it''s a platinum setting, not WG (which is $1590 according to the site). I think $1590 is more reasonable. The language of the listing online sounds like the accents come with it. It only states that the center stone is one of the purchaser''s choice. I would definitely clarify all of this before purchasing or moving on to another vendor; however, I think it''s wise to get multiple quotes with any large purchase. As much as I admire the work over at JA, this setting is quite common and you''ll probably be able to find it elsewhere.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
The quote might be on par with this particular jeweler''s prices but IMO it is too high.

I was recently quoted around the same (actually a little less) from a VERY well-known, admired and respected custom designer. The design that I was quoted for was in PT and included some pave, milgrain and engraving.

I would most definitely seek additional quotes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 8:09:26 AM
Author: Willy
Yes I would be supplying all the stones, the center and the 2 side stones. I was told it would be $1500 extra for the 8 accent stones, which is to much. My problem is I''m having trouble finding a goldsmith willing to mount ''internet diamonds''. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
HI:

Sorry to her this--I also live in Calgary and have never had issue resetting stones I''ve already owned. Who have you tried locally?

cheers--Sharon

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
If you are supplying all the diamonds and it''s in white gold, that''s too high IMO. Get some other quotes...or why not just have JA customize their setting for you? or check out Adwar, stuller, whiteflash, BGD...

for $2500 I''d expect it to be in platinum and include all the side diamonds and setting fees, even then it would just be a middle of the road price, not a great deal.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get in touch with BGD and see about having your stones set by them. Alternatively, don''t tell the jewelers in Calgary that they are internet diamonds, tell them they are family stones.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a quote from Leon for 2500 for a platinum solitaire setting with no stones, but that might be a bit high for white gold. That is a pretty easy setting to
duplicate and not a ''designer'' setting so I think I would get a few more quotes as well. Brian Gavin or Whiteflash would be good places to get quotes, and even
James Allen could make alterations for you in that setting I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results