shape
carat
color
clarity

First post!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spe

Rough_Rock
Newbie here, gotta question. I''m starting the ering search process and I''m looking at egl diamonds. From reading the board it seems like they are a little less strict in their grading. If i''m gonna spend thousands of dollars on a diamond I wanna be sure what I"m getting. Should I have it independently graded? How do I that???? Can any diamond store do it??

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think a consumer can submit something to the GIA for grading. I thought a jeweler had to do it. I know that Diamonds by Lauren frequently has an auction on eBay to "submit a stone to the GIA" for grading, which could be an option for you.

I have an EGL USA graded stone and while no authority is regarded as highly as the GIA, EGL USA is fairly on the mark, with the occasional possibility of being off a color grade. I don''t lose sleep over it.

Just my $0.02.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Buy your diamond from reputable jeweler and get it independently appraised immediately.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Or buy a GIA or AGS graded diamond .

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
EGL had a reputation for being lax and inconsistent with their grading in the past. EGL USA is working to overcome that reputation and has become more strict and consistent in the last couple of years. There is an upside for buyers of EGL diamonds. Due to the reputation, EGL diamonds tend to trade at a discount when compared to similar diamonds with GIA or AGS Certs. People who buy accurately graded EGL Certed diamonds tend to get a bit of a bargain.

You could make purchase contingent on a satisfactory, independent appraisal. If you find an EGL diamond that draws your eye and calls to you, take it and have it professionally evaluated. If the diamond is as the Cert says, you may get a bit bigger bang for your buck in the bargain. If not, and you aren''t totally satisfied, you can return the stone for a full refund.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results