shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Proposal Ideas for Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

burger59

Rough_Rock
On March 6th My girlfriend and I will be together for 6 years. We are going to spend the weekend in Chicago. I need some good Ideas that she will remember forever.

If anyone can help me out I also have a ring question? I know that she want a princess cut ring.Im looking to spend $2000-$3000. What are the 4c''s should I look for in that price range.

Please help me out if you can.

Thank You

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
For the proposal, a couple romantic options may be the 95th floor Signature Room restaurant/bar in the John Hancock bldg right on Michigan Ave. It has an amazing view of the city. There is a dress code so you can''t just walk in off the street though. Another option that coudl be romantic are the lake front cruises, they usually include dinner and a beautiful view of the evening skyline all lit up (or some do lunch so daytime skylines). Not sure how their schedules work in winter weather though. Seating is all indoors.

As for the diamond, have you read up under the knowledge area, perhaps the what to buy section? I think you had posted the question about price earlier and got the recommendation to post under Rocky Talk, which may also prove helpful.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
In Chicago I would suggest

On Navy Pier - there is a large ferris wheel and fireworks on Saturday nights - nice weather only though

Restaurant in the Loop - Italian Village - because it''s quite and they have booths with drawn curtains if you prefer

Art Institute, Field Museum

Ice skating at Navy Pier or Millenium Park - you can propose next to the platinum kidney bean!

You can propose at Tony & Tina''s Wedding - check ou the website

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I''m new here!! Can''t help but always look at all the posts of the beautiful rings, I came across your post and had to reply!! Congratulations!! There are so many awesome places to go in Chicago and many of them were already offered up. If you do want to do the Tony & Tina thing my friend actually did it and they were very cooperative. He actually was able to go onstage and call his fiance up on stage and the whole "cast and crew" were in on it and it went great. What does your finace like? You could go to the beach, Museums, Navy Pier is great, Plantaterium, Aquarium, top of the Sears Tower, on a boat on Lake Michigan, the New Millenium Park is beautiful also. A romantic horse and carriage ride down Michigan Avenue. Plenty of restaurants. Good Luck!
Can''t wait to hear all about it!
emlove.gif

36.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Just a tip on the Italian Village booths...they won''t let you reserve them unless you have at least 4 people in your party. In fact, the 3rd floor restaurant with the twinkly night time star scene doesn''t take reservations for 2 at all. But maybe you could work out something with management if you explain your plan. Another good romantic restaurant choice...Geja''s Cafe. It''s fondue with cozy little booths with curtains. Good luck!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! If you're doing it out of your home turf, I suggest keeping it simple. Things never go exactly to plan so the more "buffer" room you have, the better chance you have of playing off any unanticipated roadblocks so that she'll never know.

That goes for the speech too. I had a general plan of what I wanted to cover while on one knee, but I didn't try to memorize a set speech. This was good cuz of circumstances beyond my control (problem with public areas), I had to start my proposal speech over a couple times. Because I practiced with just a general outline of stuff I wanted to touch on, I sounded more natural even tho I had to adjust my speech on the fly and under extreme nervousness.

As for the 4 C's, definitely read the tutorial. However, I think it's almost universal on here that Cut is the most important. After that, it depends on personal values. For me, my order of preference (from most important to least) is Cut, Carat, Color, and finally Clarity. To me, Cut and Carat are far more important that color and clarity b/c sparkle and sheer size always impress people, no matter how knowledgeable they are about diamonds. Plus, you can't hide those features. The naked eye can only determine so much about a stone's color and clarity and people don't go walking around with loupes and color grading troughs so you can skimp more in those areas.

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I lived in Chicago for awhile, and a great location that you can make totally super sneaky if you don''t want her to know is Grant Park, at Buckingham Fountain. Also, it''s a bit weird, but the B''Hai temple in Wilmette is just stunning; perhaps not so much this time of year, but if you are looking to propose in the spring or summer, it''s just beautiful with gardens, and the architecture is amazing. When you go inside there''s usually very few people around, and it''s quiet and gorgeous. I''m not B''Hai, but I''ve been there a number of times because it''s beautiful. It''s just north of Rogers Park and Evanston. Again, if it''s a summer/spring thing, Ravinia is fantastic; take wine, cheese, pay a few bucks to sit on the lawn and listen to classical music, and have champagne ready. And you can take the train if you plan on drinking all that wine and cheese. If she is more of a "city" person, the Ritz Carlton has a reception room that overlooks the city, perhaps you could work something out on a night it''s not occupied to have the room for dinner and a proposal. And don''t forget the fun places; the botanical garden, the zoo, the museum of natural history, the art institute with the lion in front.

Hope this helps!

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
I agree with the Signature Room at the John Hancock building. Come dressed (suit, etc) though.

I would also HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Pop''s For Champagne. It is a piano bar in the near north that focuses on champagne. The place literally oozes with romance. They even have special "sabre service" where they open the champagne bottle table side with a sabre (yes, they shatter the top of the bottle with a sword). The place is dimly lit with candles. Make sure to have a reservation even though it is a bar. It makes a great after dinner dessert stop.

For something more hip, check out Pop''s sister bar, Star Bar. It is right next door (same building) and is more contemporary. They also focus on champagne. However, DON''T order the creme brulee. They typically over cook it and it tastes more like scrambled eggs.

Pop''s is at 2934 N. Sheffield (near Wrigley field). Star Bar is next door.

For hotels (if needed) I would recommend Hotel 71. You can book it through Expedia.com for great prices. The hotel is hip and modern and overlooks the Chicago River. It is also in a great location. If you don''t request and pay extra for the river view, you will likely get one anyhow. We always do for St. Patty''s day.

Personally, I would avoid Navy Pier. Its only saving grace is the ferris wheel. However, it will be VERY cold. You don''t want to shiver your way through the whole ordeal.

If you want to go for the best of the best restaurants, there is no beating Charlie Trotter''s on Armitage. However, come armed with a fist full of cash ($300-500
23.gif
).

You can try Tavern on Rush (Rush Street in downtown). It is near the Michigan Ave, the John Hancock, and many other features. It is a great place and is the sister restaurant to Tavern on the Green in NYC.

I unfortunately cannot offer any other suggestions. It has been too long since I have lived in Chicago. God, I miss that city.

cubby08

Rough_Rock
I''ve lived in Chicago my whole life so I could make some pretty specific recommendations. What kind of atmosphere are you looking to propose in? Indoor/outdoor/secluded? How do you plan on getting around? I can help with locations if you''re going to dinner or something before or after the proposal.

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
I''m heading to Napa Valley to pop the question this weekend, but I live in Chi Town. Is she a Cub''s Fan, too? (I saw your logon), why not at Clark and Addison? Maybe you could contact Tribune Company and have them put it on the lit sign outfront at a certain time.

Otherwise, I like the bar at the Park Hyatt. It''s very romantic with a nice view but isn''t as "touristy" as the Signature Room.

Good luck

peptidbond

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2005 5
6.gif
6.gif
6 PM
Author: cmargosi
I''m heading to Napa Valley to pop the question this weekend, but I live in Chi Town. Is she a Cub''s Fan, too? (I saw your logon), why not at Clark and Addison? Maybe you could contact Tribune Company and have them put it on the lit sign outfront at a certain time.

Otherwise, I like the bar at the Park Hyatt. It''s very romantic with a nice view but isn''t as ''touristy'' as the Signature Room.

Good luck
Oh, the bar at the Park Hyatt is a good idea. I would also recommend the bar at the Four Seasons Hotel. It overlooks Michigan Ave and many tables are right by the windows. It is right across the street from the John Hancock if that helps. The bar and restaurant are on the seventh floor and they commonly have live jazz.

The Wrigley Field idea is great too (GO CUBS!). If you cannot get them to light the sign for you, you could always do it in front of the Harry Carey statue?!

burger59

Rough_Rock
Im looking for any cool ideas doesnt matter. Any thing that she can remember forever.

Thanks

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok..here''s a different idea.....Michigan Ave has had a lot of mimes dressed in total gold or silver down near Water Tower and close to Tiffany''s. You''d have to try to talk to one ahead of time...but maybe you could stop to watch one and have the mime pull your girlfriend into the act.....giving her a things to do with your relationship over the years...a baseball, postcards from places you''ve visited etc. ending with a big fake ring and plastic flowers basically pretending to propose...then while she''s watching the mime you could get down on one knee as the mime directs her to look at you....Ok so totally out there but different. Then of course drinks or dinner some where good.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
You''ve got some excellent suggestions here.

After you get your ring...maybe to celebrate an anniversary, more, but possibly even after the signature room at the John Hancock, consider the downstairs bar at the Drake Hotel.

Very best wishes!

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
...just as long as the girl isn''t the Bachelorette''s Jenn, I''m sure you''ll be fine with any of the ideas you come up with or get from people here!!! Happy pre-engagement! klr

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
So, what did you decide?

burger59

Rough_Rock
Well I did go to Geja''s Cafe on Saturday night but the place is so packed with people it just didnt feel right. So I waited till Sunday which was a very nice day so we went for a walk down Navy Pier. We walked to the end of the pier which over looks Lake Michigan and a nice view of the skyline. So I grabbed a bence with no one around us and asked her there. She was very happy with the ring and the location so it worked out great. Thanks for everyones help
emteeth.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your enagement. I''m glad it all worked out for you even if Geja''s was too busy feeling! Thank goodness for nice weather!

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 6:10:25 PM
Author: burger59
So I waited till Sunday which was a very nice day so we went for a walk down Navy Pier. We walked to the end of the pier which over looks Lake Michigan and a nice view of the skyline. So I grabbed a bence with no one around us and asked her there. She was very happy with the ring and the location so it worked out great. Thanks for everyones help
emteeth.gif
CONGRATULATIONS!! you picked an awesome day to do it as well, the weather was beautiful... if you did it today, you''d have to battle the snow.
25.gif
Best of luck to you and your fiancee!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Great Choice. Navy Pier is great.

Congrats!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations to you and your fiancee. It must have been nerve wracking to have been carrying that engagement ring around all weekend. Sorry about the crowded bar, but it seems things worked out in your favour!

galynav

Rough_Rock
I''ve read your note saying that you may give some suggestion about places in Chciago.
I will spend there this weekend with my good friend and am trying to make some plans for Saturday evening (after 6pm).
My friend has never been to Chicago, so I''m looking for something that could give him a good picture of city life just in one evening. A dinner in a nice restaurant (or piano bar) and a walk on michigan ave (or boat cruise) seem to be good options.
Could you suggest any restaurant please? Something not very expensive, up to $100 per person, preferrably with the good view of the city.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe we''ll see you there!

One idea not mentioned that I can see in this thread, though your topic''s a bit different...

How about Old Town, and environs, (sorry, it''s been a while, but I think this works...) with a trip to Uno''s or Due''s for pizza, and then to Old Town for Second City theatre.

Best wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results