shape
carat
color
clarity

Identify this setting type please...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
What is this, bead-set?

2ctChristina.jpg

(Thanks again, sista!!
2.gif
)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never seen anything quite like it.... yeah, the diamnds are hold in place by metal beads so this makes them "bead set", but then, they are placed so that the thing looks like a channel setting. The thick metal ridges are not a common feature of bead setting.

Compared to traditional channel setting, this receipe saves allot of diamond (since quite a bit of space is taken by those metal beads). I guess this is the purpose of this setting method. With this ring at hand, I would also inspect the thickness of the band carefully - the size and shape of the ajures on the back suggest extra thin metal. Perhaps the rails around the bead set stones are there to keep the shape of the ring (since folded metal sheet is much stiffer than the sheet itself). This may work, or not - if the ring is supposed to be a durable piece as opposed to till-next-upgrade ring, then such detail would be of interest, IMO.

Just the usual 0.2 worth...

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, ana... I''ll keep that in mind!
1.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
LMAO, Goldengirl! Ron White!

"That''ll shut her up....for a minute"! I love Ron White! He is too funny for his own good
9.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yay somebody gets it!
36.gif
I was afraid nobody would and they''d just think I was dogging on diamonds!!
9.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We call this "Imitation channel setting" The diamonds are actually set in very short prongs or raised beads, but the walls make it channel-like in appearance. Less diamond weight and/or fewer diamonds can be used to fill the space up, so the end result is a somewhat less expensive product that still has a certain look to it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2005 2:14:59 PM
Author: goldengirl
Yay somebody gets it! I was afraid nobody would and they''d just think I was dogging on diamonds!!
You did it!
39.gif
Not the "diamonds" would prompt anyone to keep quiet around here
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 2:14:59 PM
Yay somebody gets it!
36.gif
I was afraid nobody would and they''d just think I was dogging on diamonds!!
9.gif
I thought his name was Tater Salad.
2.gif

Shay

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Dave and/or John (and/or anybody else who wants to chime in!
9.gif
):

Is this still a secure setting type (ha, cuz I just read a web site shaking its finger at poorly made rings, one of which was imitation channel settings!) or can it be made to be secure; what is the best way to make sure this setting is quality instead of just easy/cheap? I have fallen in love with the way it looks, but do not want to sacrifice for a flimsy setting...

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
That is my dream ring to. I was getting it done in platinum w/ diamonds on the side. You guys don''t think it''s sturdy? Do you know anywhere where they may be one "similar".. I really like this setting, but don''t want my engagement ring to look "cheap"

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 7:32:43 PM
Dave and/or John (and/or anybody else who wants to chime in!
9.gif
):

Is this still a secure setting type (ha, cuz I just read a web site shaking its finger at poorly made rings, one of which was imitation channel settings!) or can it be made to be secure; what is the best way to make sure this setting is quality instead of just easy/cheap? I have fallen in love with the way it looks, but do not want to sacrifice for a flimsy setting...

GG,

It's a beautiful type of setting and will be secure if it's well made... Just be certain that the design was made with durability and longevity in mind as much as beauty. Researching the vendor's reputability for quality products and customer service is always a good idea.

{"Take off the hat!"}
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The weight of the ring would tell allot... as far as I know, the expected type of trouble with too-hollow rings is that the frame doesn't hold shape very well and if small diamonds are involved (pave, channel...) those tend to pop out or slide ot of line in the channel setting. Anybody's guess how this might translate to this cross-breed setting type.

It may be technically easier to make a solid one with a channel for setting the diamonds in somehow. Such narrow bands of channel set diamonds appear in wide wedding bands, but haven't seen an e-ring setting done that way yet.

cepheus_220.jpg
ursula_front.jpg

The different colors of metal show pretty well what is going on (in photo: 6mm bands with stones 2 and 1mm diameter)

The traditional bead setting programme seems to be to make those ridges as narrow as it gets and produce a band of diamonds between them - quite the opposite of what the design here tries. I would expect a wedding band to be done this way. The ring below has way larger diamonds set for a somewhat similar look - obviously the proportions are unusual (5 points would be closer to norm for this setting than 50 points!). You can definitely see the details of the make though:

r202-11W.jpg

Obviously a rare diamond got red carpet treatment here, but there's no need to cut corners (and metal weight) too much on anything, I would think
2.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
LOL

Tater Salad and Tater Tot..how could I forget?? I think my favorite story he told was the one about his van being turned into a tripod

Sorry to be so off topic...I'm so embarrassed....
40.gif

"You caught me! You caught the tater."

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ana, you always come up with the best example photos!! Thank you, sometimes I have a hard time understanding without the visual. :)

John, unless that ring''s maker does custom I will likely go elsewhere... and "elsewhere" translates into a PS vendor, so I know I''ll get quality with one of you guys. :)

Candipan

Rough_Rock
I love when he makes fun of his in laws and he does that rich snobby accent when the brother in law says "I cant believe you didnt buy a mercedes bens".....i also love when he calls the insurance broker premium boy......ahhhhaahaahaahaa oh god i think i cried for a half an hour i laughed so hard watching that.....

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
lolol... Ron''s the best! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results