shape
carat
color
clarity

PLAT vs. GOLD -- stonger????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I am in the market for a diamond anniversary band (all around).

Which is the stronger, more durable setting over time -- PLAT or White Gold?

Ice-Ice-baby

Rough_Rock
Platinum without a doubt is much harder than both gold and silver and is not as easily scratched. Look for a band that is 95% platinum and 5% other (iridium)for the best platinum. The higher the platinum content the greater the cost of the mounting.

Also, platinum is more rare than gold so will cost more. I actually have one of the platinum bands from Vatche on order myself. Good luck.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry.
Platinum is easier to bend, but more durable (grains and beads over stones do not wear off).
Plat scratches more easily but this becomes a nice colored patina and the scratches do not show like those on white gold.

Ice-Ice-baby

Rough_Rock
Well, my reponse is almost verbatim from the "Diamond Buying Guide - 5th Edition, by Renee Newman GG,MA.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My response is straight from Garry Holloway (me) who has won several design awards, and employs 7 jewelers.
Collectively we have won Australian Jewellery Design Awards: 1984, 1994, 1998, twice in both 1998 and 2000.
Finalists: 14 times including 4 in 2002. GAA Design Awards 2000 and 2002. Finalists 5 times. De Beers International Finalist 1989. De Beers Diamond Facets Awards: Twice in 1999

In addition I am a geologist and have studied a little Metalurgy.

nineta

Rough_Rock
.... and you don't need to rhodium plate platinum. With white gold, after less than a year, if you want to keep it beautiful, you will have to coat it again. For my 'every now and then' rings, I go for white gold, as it is a lot cheaper. But for my engagement ring and wedding band, platinum is the only metal I would consider.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just ordered my first platinum jewelry - setting for my stone 3 carat center stone w/ four prongs.

So, you say that platinum is more pliable - but harder .....so does this translate into.... The prongs won't wear down but I would need to check them regularly to make sure they don't bend out?

Will I be O.K. w/ the four prongs? I do not like the design aesthetic of 6 prongs ..but I don't want my stone to fall out.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results