shape
carat
color
clarity

2.3 ct RBC diamond comparison: Crafted by Infinity, WF ACA, and James Allen (GIA 3X)

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
For background, please refer to the previous thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...lor-clarity-or-compromise-cut-with-ja.235191/

I decided to start a new thread because the previous thread's title was no longer fully reflective of the situation and missing one key player Crafted by Infinity.

TLDR: BF and I were looking for a RBC diamond that's 2.25 carat+, G color+, eye-clean, and H&A ideal with HCA score <2 within $25k. After lots of research online, I picked out a stone from James Allen (GIA 3X, also falls under AGS0 parameters) which I thought was a solid performer based on the specs. However, having never seen a "super ideal" diamond that's often highly regarded here on PS, I felt like I would regret making the final decision without the chance to compare them in real life first. To me, the Whiteflash A Cut Above always come to mind when I think of "super ideal" cut diamond, so we ended up ordering a WF ACA in addition to the JA. On top of that, several other PSers introduced me to another brand of "super ideals" called Crafted by Infinity. @Wink from HPD was able to ship a few CBI stones to a partner local jeweler in my city, where I was able to compare all 3 stones in person under multiple lighting.

I know for me personally, one of the frustrations when diamond shopping online was not having enough visual aids. Even with more and more vendors providing videos, photos, ASET/Ideal Scope, and even generous 30 day refund policy to "try it", I still found myself wishing to be able to see them IRL and compare.

While I found several YouTube videos comparing different diamond colors or cut grades (H&A, Excellent, Very Good, Fair etc) I haven't found too many reference points for "Super Ideals." So I thought it might be helpful to share the videos I took from my comparison.

The details on the 3 stones below:

James Allen: 2.31 ct G/VS1/medium fluorescence/HCA 0.8
https://www.jamesallen.com//loose-d...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3530614

upload_2017-11-22_23-36-14.png

White Flash A Cut Above: 2.22 ct H/VS2/no fluorescence/HCA 1.1
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3905123.htm

upload_2017-11-22_23-52-36.png

Crafted by Infinity: 2.31 ct H/SI1/no fluorescence/HCA 1.2
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8620

upload_2017-11-22_23-56-3.png

Now onto the videos - please note it was hard to capture what I saw in real life to the fullest extent on my (not so great) iPhone 6 camera - so take them for what they are.
  • Under the jewelry store ceiling light - from bottom to top (JA, WF ACA, CBI)

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
  • Under the jewelry store spot lighting, near the merchandise display case - left to right: JA, WF, CBI

• Taken in a relatively dark corner of the jewelry store - going for a "dim" lighting environment - bottom to top: JA, WF, CBI

• Under fluorescent light (white "office" lighting) - left to right: CBI, WF, JA

• Under natural lighting (on an overcast day in the Pacific Northwest in November) - left to right: CBI, WF, JA

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on these videos (no contest) I'll take the CBI...:love:. If the CBI is "eye clean" then it is a no brainer!

Last edited:

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Based on your videos, I like most the JA diamond, it looks whiter. Although CBI has a lot of sparkle, it face up darker color (darkest of all three diamonds), so I would not consider buying it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CBI sparkles the most!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on your videos, I like most the JA diamond, it looks whiter. Although CBI has a lot of sparkle, it face up darker color (darkest of all three diamonds), so I would not consider buying it.

To me, the JA faces up darkest.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the JA stone is clearly whiter. It’s a G so that makes sense. The sparkle is nice. I would examine the sparkle pattern really carefully to see if there are any spots that don’t light up as much as others.

THE sparkles from the CBI seems more colorful and sharper. The body color seems darker, which may seem so because the sparkles from the CBI are brighter and more sharp. The performance of the CBI in the various lighting environments seems most consistent.

The WF stone seems to be a compromise between the two.

Last edited:

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would go with CBI or WF since they’re both beautiful but I’d pick CBI since it’s slightly larger and I can see that it’s a tiny bit larger.

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Drizzle,

Very impressive 'homework' you carried out there. For me it is CBI all the time and ever time. The best part is when you move away from the lighting at the BM stores and live with the diamond on a daily basis.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CBI seem to have the most fire but honestly, not liking the overall darkness I see compared to the other stones (I saw it in every video except
not so much in the outdoor natural lighting). The JA was brighter but lacking the fire of the other stones (so its out). For me, for overall appeal (brightness
as well as fire) I like the ACA.

You* have to figure out for yourself which look/personality you like the best.

This is an excellent thread...so glad you were able to compare all 3.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She went with the CBI, so the darkness must not really be there IRL

824jagdds

Rough_Rock
So @Drizzle, in the videos, my gf and I tend to agree with @tyty333. It seems like the CBI stone is much darker. Is that artifact from the video capture? How does it look in real life? I definitely like the colorful sparkles but am not sure if the contrast that people talk about really makes the whole diamond appear dark as in the videos. @cflutist's photo of her CBI looks super bright. Would you or any others who have compared ACA and CBI irl comment on the overall darkness in the videos?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can say is my camera and videos can't at all capture how gorgeous my CBI is. It can't capture the color, the sparkle, the fire, the edge to edge brilliance and performance. I can only guess that is what happened here and why everyone feels like the cbi is "dark"... it is something a camera or video can't relate as in real life and with eyes....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can say is my camera and videos can't at all capture how gorgeous my CBI is. It can't capture the color, the sparkle, the fire, the edge to edge brilliance and performance. I can only guess that is what happened here and why everyone feels like the cbi is "dark"... it is something a camera or video can't relate as in real life and with eyes....

OK, I'm feeling lazy...WW can you give us a quick and dirty on what that link says that you posted...I did see what it was saying that in bright sunlight
the stone is returning so much light that your eye over compensates and makes the stone darker or is it the camera doing it?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I'm feeling lazy...WW can you give us a quick and dirty on what that link says that you posted...I did see what it was saying that in bright sunlight
the stone is returning so much light that your eye over compensates and makes the stone darker or is it the camera doing it?

Pupils, spectral fans, precision lower halves and on and off flashes.... lol

I have a head cold and my brain isn't working today.

I didn't see the CBI as dark-- I saw it is blue/colored. Maybe @John Pollard can explain it in real talk...

I believe in the last thread, she said she has an iphone 6, so I tend to think it is sort of an optical illusion that isn't translating well in the video...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Example: look at my G color CBI last weekend in the Superdome. It was just killing me with whiteness and beauty and flash and sparkle, so I was like "OMG, I need to video this on my iPhone 7 to show everyone how scintillating and full of fire it is so I can knock everyone's socks off....."

The video?

Nice but a little meh... not even close to what it looked like in real life. I was so disappointed with the video....

DH caught me looking at the ring more than the game and told me I had a real problem lol

https://instagram.com/p/Bb41OXwAlAV/

ETA: it also looks like I have a chunk of light missing at 1:00 (1) position and that isn't true either.
I don't know....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Example: look at my G color CBI last weekend in the Superdome. It was just killing me with whiteness and beauty and flash and sparkle, so I was like "OMG, I need to video this on my iPhone 7 to show everyone how scintillating and full of fire it is so I can knock everyone's socks off....."

The video?

Nice but a little meh... not even close to what it looked like in real life. I was so disappointed with the video....

DH caught me looking at the ring more than the game and told me I had a real problem lol

https://instagram.com/p/Bb41OXwAlAV/

ETA: it also looks like I have a chunk of light missing at 1:00 (1) position and that isn't true either.
I don't know....

Very pretty! I think we all need to agree that we either ALL have a problem or none of us has a problem! There is power in numbers!=)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another video, slightly longer. I just had to accept that an iPhone can't capture what I see...

https://instagram.com/p/Bb42yDGgJLO/

@tyty333 yes, I think we all have a problem lol. I wore all my rings because I knew they were going to light up in the dome

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20171014_194007.jpg
Here are 2 CBIs (both are F color) in natural light in the bathroom

Here is a video of my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI in our bathroom with nightime overhead led lights.

Last edited:

Drizzle

Rough_Rock

The CBI seem to have the most fire but honestly, not liking the overall darkness I see compared to the other stones (I saw it in every video except
not so much in the outdoor natural lighting). The JA was brighter but lacking the fire of the other stones (so its out). For me, for overall appeal (brightness
as well as fire) I like the ACA.

So @Drizzle, in the videos, my gf and I tend to agree with @tyty333. It seems like the CBI stone is much darker. Is that artifact from the video capture? How does it look in real life? I definitely like the colorful sparkles but am not sure if the contrast that people talk about really makes the whole diamond appear dark as in the videos. @cflutist's photo of her CBI looks super bright. Would you or any others who have compared ACA and CBI irl comment on the overall darkness in the videos?

Yes, you do see that the stone appears "dark" IRL but it only happens in spot lighting (and supposedly direct sunlight too although I have personally not been able to test this out - Pacific Northwest problem :snore:). While going "dark," it exhibits crazy amount of fire and scintillation and is still very sparkly. I will be 100% honest and say I was a bit thrown back by this at first as well. I did a lot of research and found numerous threads on PS as well as other forums, where people are asking why their "super ideal" stones go dark in direct sunlight. To put it simply, it's a biological phenomenon where the human eye cannot process the overload of light return coming from the diamond under intense lighting that the pupil closes a little, resulting in a darker looking stone. Forgive my poor explanation, here are a few of the threads I found on the matter for those of you interested.
I mention this in my other thread too but at one point I even tried to considered to go with the JA over CBI partly because of this. However, ultimately I picked the CBI because I prefer the way it performs in all other lighting conditions except spot lighting - that's office lighting (where I spend majority of my time), natural lighting on an overcast day (golden standard of the Pacific Northwest), dim lighting (restaurants etc.) - and in those conditions the CBI looks so much more crisp vs the JA/WF had a more muted, flat-ish look. This photo i think represents the best (within the limitation of iPhone 6 camera) of what I'm talking about in office lighting.

from Left: James Allen, White Flash ACA, Crafted by Infinity
upload_2017-11-24_12-43-6.png

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
A couple of more videos taken under the combination of natural lighting (on an overcast day) and office lighting.

From Left: CBI, WF ACA, JA

From Left: JA, ACA, CBI

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I posted in your other thread, Drizzle -- but I also wanted to stop by this thread to say congratulations on your beautiful new CBI. And what a treat that you got to meet Paul, John, and Wink, and view the diamond with them. Fun, fun, fun.

From my (lengthy) experience with CBI stones, the "darkness" is seen only in certain conditions. What the camera can't capture is how much full-spectrum color -- fire, rainbows, whatever you want to call it -- is displayed at the same time the stone is "dark." Even in smaller CBI stones, like whitewave's and mine, the amount of fire in a CBI is amazing. My husband and I were having dinner with another couple in a dark, spotlit restaurant. The woman, who was seated across from me, interrupted our conversation at one point to say, "I'm sorry to interrupt, I just have to say that your diamond is the sparkliest diamond I've ever seen." Note that she didn't say "Your diamond is the darkest diamond I've ever seen." It was the large flashes of color she noticed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results