shape
carat
color
clarity

22kt British gold color?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi all-

I recently acquired an Edwardian 18kt yellow gold sapphire ring and a 22kt yellow gold band (1956). I was expecting a bright yellow 22kt color but it seems actually rosy. Even the 18kt seems orangey, compared to my other 18kt pieces.

I found a few references to British 22kt having more copper than silver, which gives it a pinker hue. Does anyone know if British gold is (or was) alloyed differently than American gold?

Ring on top- 18kt rose gold
Middle- 18kt yellow
Bottom- 22kt yellow
72FB5935-8C38-43A6-BA7F-47C4FB269040.jpeg

The English rings
Left: 22kt
Right: 18kt
F908A3CB-F071-4E05-9FD4-E949F2D34CC6.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Look at my post - #43 - on this thread

Bc the same happened to me. But when I wore it a lot, the color changed!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Look at my post - #43 - on this thread

Bc the same happened to me. But when I wore it a lot, the color changed!

Such an interesting thread- thank you for replying! My experience totally mirrors yours. My ring didn’t look this rosy in the sales pictures for sure. And fascinating that yours yellowed with additional wear!

I worry about having to resize the ring (if needed)- if anyone local works with a similar alloyed high karat gold.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Such an interesting thread- thank you for replying! My experience totally mirrors yours. My ring didn’t look this rosy in the sales pictures for sure. And fascinating that yours yellowed with additional wear!

I worry about having to resize the ring (if needed)- if anyone local works with a similar alloyed high karat gold.

Hopefully you won’t need to size but if you did, I don’t think they add gold to go up. They stretch it, unless you need to go up by alot. If that’s the case, and you need it alot bigger, I would just shop for a new band. All the rings pictured are beautiful but I love the hefty look of the 18k one in pic 2!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results