shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Other Independents In The Crowd?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a woman of a "certain age" my past voting experience has been to vote on issues. I have always considered myself an Independent. I don't align with a particular party ideology. (With the exception of human rights issues). It's getting harder and harder as we've become more and more divided as a country.

The Republican and Democrat parties are both awful! Years ago there was at least the pretense of "reaching across the aisle" or working together. What's happening in Washington now is a disgrace, by both parties IMO. The ugly partisanship came to a head (no pun intened!) during Clinton's term. How did we get to here and what are your thoughts for our future as a country and for the 2 party system? Discuss...

(Oh, and lets not turn this into more Trump bashing. Not that it's not deserved, but we have enought threads on that!)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Canada I would consider myself an independent/centerist.

That said, even our most conservative parties would still be pretty centrist for the US, so I'm still pretty liberal to you :)

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I consider myself a moderate.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what I am anymore. I am registered Republican but since the spending of W got out of control I have been disillusioned with them as they are not nearly as fiscally conservative as I would like them to be. And I am not socially liberal but more of the Mind Your Own Business group rather than telling people how they should live. I believe in a strong military so I am not quite a Libertarian. I absolutely believe in personal responsibility while also taking care of those who are unable to take care of themselves. So does that make me an Independent?

Edit - I hate government waste above everything else.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'd call myself an independent, and honestly, I think everyone should consider themselves an independent. My headmaster in school taught us to never blindly vote along party lines - that you should always weigh each decision, each cause, each proposal on its own. You can certainly agree with one party more than another, but in my opinion, you should never be so tied to a party that you stop thinking critically.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1489011000|4138148 said:
In Canada I would consider myself an independent/centerist.

That said, even our most conservative parties would still be pretty centrist for the US, so I'm still pretty liberal to you :)

Also Canadian, and mostly independent. I've always voted for issues/platforms and not by party.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1489020517|4138221 said:
I'd call myself an independent, and honestly, I think everyone should consider themselves an independent. My headmaster in school taught us to never blindly vote along party lines - that you should always weigh each decision, each cause, each proposal on its own. You can certainly agree with one party more than another, but in my opinion, you should never be so tied to a party that you stop thinking critically.

Agree.
I am a registered independent and I am very socially liberal.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate everything about the party system.

Realistically though, no third party has an ice cube's chance in Hell of winning a major political office.
That's why I will not throw my vote away.
I vote Democrat, the lesser evil of the only two imperfect, but viable, political parties.

Things are not how they should be.
They are how they are.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to be very conservative in many views and very liberal in others. I like to read statements and views from each candidate for any position in detail and select the one that most matches what I believe is best for the position.

So Independent? Maybe. Frankly, I don't care what people call me that way. I believe each person should educate themselves on all options and make the choice they feel is best.

Leading up to the last election, people would ask my opinion. So I gave it. I am voting for the person I feel is right and I'll decide that as close to election day as I can do I have as many facts as I can. Beyond that, I am excited to see so many people getting involved as a system of elected government only works when people get involved and go vote.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1489020517|4138221 said:

I totally agree with this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1489027374|4138260 said:
I hate everything about the party system.

Realistically though, no third party has an ice cube's chance in Hell of winning a major political office.
That's why I will not throw my vote away.
I vote Democrat, the lesser evil of the only two imperfect, but viable, political parties.

Things are not how they should be.
They are how they are.

Yes that is true and though I am a registered Independent I (generally) vote Democrat (all because of social issues) but I won't be labeled as one or the other (Republican or Democrat) because I loathe many things about both parties. So I chose Independent because that is how I think. I don't align with either party and when I turned 18 the only clear choice for me was to register as an Independent.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm registered as party "not enrolled" or "U" so I can vote for whoever I want regardless of political party, I am not registered as Independent. There's a difference but this may just be for my state.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Registered as independent.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been independent/libertarian a lot longer than I've been republican at this point...lol Used to be registered republican until they went apeshit nuts. That would have been in the early aughts.

A vote "thrown away" is one that someone of legal voting age doesn't act upon. You wonder why Hillary lost? look within that party's voting base and you'll get your answer. Third party gets "BLAMED" for voting the way they would anyway, which is WRONG. We voted.

If Dems wanted that win, they needed to do something to make their voting base more excited about voting for their candidate. But hell a blind man could see that the candidate had issues. As it was, registered DEMS either didn't vote or, went rogue and voted REPUBLICAN in key states.

My people busted their ass for the right to vote. They died for that right, and damn straight I exercise it. My parents made darn sure that their children understood that voting was a civic responsibility and duty. To not vote means you lose your voice.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kbell|1489067775|4138362 said:
I'm registered as party "not enrolled" or "U" so I can vote for whoever I want regardless of political party, I am not registered as Independent. There's a difference but this may just be for my state.

Same. Although if you vote in the primaries here you have to choose R or D ballot. I have historically chosen D.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1489069286|4138374 said:
Kbell|1489067775|4138362 said:

Same. Although if you vote in the primaries here you have to choose R or D ballot. I have historically chosen D.

We do too for primaries - I have gone back & forth. I like keeping my options open!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Independent here. I lean liberal. I don't like the idea of voting your "party". An open mind - to me - is a necessary tool for voting. I think being aligned to a particular party undermines some of that.

The downside of being registed Independent in PA is that primaries are closed so I can only vote in general elections. I've considered changing my registration to allow me to vote in primary elections.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on the future of our 2 party system?

Partisanship has become so deeply entrenched and extreme. Americans use to come together in times of tragedy, for example. Now politicians on both sides want to credit themselves as more patriotic than the other. Policy has become so polarizing. No middle ground, either your side wins or losses. No compromise to include everyone to some degree. How many things in life are really that black and white? Accusations, vitriol, lies and coverups. Dumba$$ convention!

In the future do you think it's even possible that both parties can remotely come to the middle? Or has the 2 party system become too divisive? It seems like both Republicans and Democrats are just rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. :wall:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1489089227|4138515 said:

Partisanship has become so deeply entrenched and extreme. Americans use to come together in times of tragedy, for example. Now politicians on both sides want to credit themselves as more patriotic than the other. Policy has become so polarizing. No middle ground, either your side wins or losses. No compromise to include everyone to some degree. How many things in life are really that black and white? Accusations, vitriol, lies and coverups. Dumba$$ convention!

In the future do you think it's even possible that both parties can remotely come to the middle? Or has the 2 party system become too divisive? It seems like both Republicans and Democrats are just rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. :wall:

I don't even know what that would look like anymore. It seems the last one that could halfway do it was Bill Clinton as he realized the destruction of not paying the bills as well as taking care of those who truly needed it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1489089227|4138515 said:

I don't think there will ever be a change. Unfortunately, many prefer being aligned with a particular identifying body, as there is comfort and familiarity in numbers. Birds of a feather, safety in numbers, you know? It is easier for the mind to grasp labels and file people into categories that way. All of the detrimental issues that come with that safety aren't enough to dissuade people, though. I realize those are very broad thoughts, but that's how I see it.

I will also say that I think the internet has had a lot to do with polarization. When I speak with my friends of all political leanings, we are able to converse in a respectful manner and we don't belittle each other or disrespect each other, and we listen and actually try to understand one another's opinion. Online discussions seem to get way more heated, there is name-calling, sarcasm, and downright meanness. I'm not innocent of participating in any of it, just making the observation.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over my many voting years I have gone about 50/50 between the parties. Last election I couldn't vote for either. I don't sway any particular way, it depends on the issue.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No political party represents me.
I think both parties are just as corrupt.
I think the press is just as corrupt and dishonest as the political parties if not more so.

I am seriously wondering if anarchy isn't a better answer.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1489122924|4138730 said:
I think the press is just as corrupt and dishonest as the political parties if not more so.

Then, at this point, you are no longer an American. The American identity is a fragile thing that really only needs the acceptance of a few ideals, namely belief in universal opportunity, equality and a system of government that trusts the input of it's citizens. Within your statement lie the roots of treason, a profound distrust or distaste for your fellow citizens. "The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but in ourselves", We, the People ARE the government. It is accurately representing the divisions that have been fanned within the electorate for 40 years. One of the brilliant concepts behind our system of government is that it is designed to slow or even stop movement when the electorate is this divided. If the parties are corrupt, we (including you) are corrupt because they are made up of the people. If the press is corrupt, we all are. If a party doesn't represent you, how much effort and involvement have you put into the party closest to you? Ours is a participatory form of government, if you choose NOT to participate then, you're right, no party represents you. They represent people that ARE involved.

Congress, warts and all, DOES represent the voting population. While it may be forcing us to look at our lesser angels, it is US, we the people. Trump, warts and all, DOES represent us. The press, flaws and all, DOES represent us. The political parties, as ponderous and inefficient as they are, DO represent us. If you don't like it, be an American and get involved. It's how the system was designed. And you can quit looking at that guy you hate staring back from the mirror.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1489152306|4138801 said:

Then, at this point, you are no longer an American. The American identity is a fragile thing that really only needs the acceptance of a few ideals, namely belief in universal opportunity, equality and a system of government that trusts the input of it's citizens. Within your statement lie the roots of treason, a profound distrust or distaste for your fellow citizens. "The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but in ourselves", We, the People ARE the government. It is accurately representing the divisions that have been fanned within the electorate for 40 years. One of the brilliant concepts behind our system of government is that it is designed to slow or even stop movement when the electorate is this divided. If the parties are corrupt, we (including you) are corrupt because they are made up of the people. If the press is corrupt, we all are. If a party doesn't represent you, how much effort and involvement have you put into the party closest to you? Ours is a participatory form of government, if you choose NOT to participate then, you're right, no party represents you. They represent people that ARE involved.

Congress, warts and all, DOES represent the voting population. While it may be forcing us to look at our lesser angels, it is US, we the people. Trump, warts and all, DOES represent us. The press, flaws and all, DOES represent us. The political parties, as ponderous and inefficient as they are, DO represent us. If you don't like it, be an American and get involved. It's how the system was designed. And you can quit looking at that guy you hate staring back from the mirror.

I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've felt for awhile now that voting should be a requirement to attain and maintain citizenship rights once a person is of legal age to vote.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1489163549|4138890 said:

I've felt for awhile now that voting should be a requirement to attain and maintain citizenship rights once a person is of legal age to vote.

Unfortunately you can't mandate common sense or intelligence.

Liaerfbv, Me too.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1489163549|4138890 said:

Along with photo identification. Remove the word attain though. No voting until citizenship.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1489164388|4138892 said:
Along with photo identification. Remove the word attain though. No voting until citizenship.

Not to be argumentative, but the incidence of non-citizens voting is a subject that has been beaten to death and there's no conclusive evidence that any non-citizens are voting in the US. The requirement for photo identification to vote is substantially a voter suppression technique used by Republicans to keep poor black people from voting. I'm not opposed to requiring photo ID to vote, but I think if we make that a requirement, the states should be providing IDs to residents free of charge.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1489174361|4138942 said:
redwood66|1489164388|4138892 said:

Not to be argumentative, but the incidence of non-citizens voting is a subject that has been beaten to death and there's no conclusive evidence that any non-citizens are voting in the US. The requirement for photo identification to vote is substantially a voter suppression technique used by Republicans to keep poor black people from voting. I'm not opposed to requiring photo ID to vote, but I think if we make that a requirement, the states should be providing IDs to residents free of charge.

+1000000. I dont have a problem with ID's, but I don't like how the "voter ID laws" have been set up, since it is unfair to poor individuals. If states were to provide free IDs then I am totally fine with requiring ID.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results