shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to purchase private party from overseas

95viper

Rough_Rock
Let's say one PSer in US wants to buy a loose diamond from another PSer who is overseas. Super Ideal, branded, AGS cert stone. Price is agreed with a couple requirements. Independent appraiser inspects the stone for damage and AGS specs, mainly color, match appraisal even though color can be subjective. Other than that the price is pre-determined. If requirements are met seller is paid.

How is seller protected? Shipping even a loose stone overseas is expensive. How does seller know that they will get paid?
How is buyer protected? Buyer would need to ensure that the stone is at the appraiser before paying.

I guess my question is whether appraisers also act as financial brokers and would manage the above terms to protect both seller and buyer? If yes, how much would this cost assuming the price is 20k?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't help on your question about appraisers, but you may also struggle getting insurance for a loose stone. As far as I'm aware none of the standard carriers will insure them. They're not prohibited, so you can send them, but they may well not be covered in the case of loss or damage - and bear in mind that the customs form would have the contents written on the front, so it's obvious it's high value contents which may make it a tempting target!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
95viper|1476995358|4089016 said:
I guess my question is whether appraisers also act as financial brokers and would manage the above terms to protect both seller and buyer? If yes, how much would this cost assuming the price is 20k?

I think some appraisers do this, and sometimes people are able to arrange this to be done by the original seller of the stone. I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I know PSers have done stuff like this before.

95viper

Rough_Rock
Who are some of the best appraisers that we deal with?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results