shape
carat
color
clarity

Need info on yellow diamonds

bamagal

Rough_Rock
Good afternoon, I'm new on this forum. Needing some extra info, I've been collecting gem stones and diamonds
for 20 years now.. I'm deciding to start collecting color diamonds. I ran across a 2ct marquise yellow diamond
that is light yellow ( natural and no heat ). I wish I had the grade right now but I don't. Been told that these are rare diamonds and
could be a great investment. This ring is in 18kt and will cost me $32000.00 Wondering if this is going to be a
smart move.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Bamagal,
Diamonds as financial investment for consumers= bad.
The issue is how can a consumer sell a diamond- it's very hard to do.

In terms of specifics- there's no way to answer with accuracy- many different grades can be called "light yellow"

IN general, $32k for a "light yellow" 2ct marquise sounds over the top expensive

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with RockDiamond. Be very careful in thinking about diamonds as an investment. There is not a ready market that you can sell into easily with any kind of predictability, even if you buy at the right price and even if diamonds in general appreciate during the time you own them.

In terms of the specific diamond in question, make sure it has a lab report from GIA and post it here (or just the cert number) and you will get much more specific feedback about the stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RUN from anyone telling you that is a good investment.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
bamagal,

Roll Tide.. and - as stated, diamonds as an investment are not a good idea for the typical individual. Rarely does anyone use them successfully for investing purposes.

For sentiment, yes. For romance, yes. For bling and aesthetics - of course. For all of these things you will find good feelings and happiness. As an investment? No.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1466174643|4045137 said:
bamagal,

Roll Tide.. and - as stated, diamonds as an investment are not a good idea for the typical individual. Rarely does anyone use them successfully for investing purposes.

For sentiment, yes. For romance, yes. For bling and aesthetics - of course. For all of these things you will find good feelings and happiness. As an investment? No.
Agreed.

That said, diamonds are a much better store of value than the vast majority of consumer products. So, in addition to their aesthetic and symbolic value, a nice diamond has potential longterm monetary value which can sometimes be quite significant.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1466175931|4045147 said:
bamagal,

Agreed.

That said, diamonds are a much better store of value than the vast majority of consumer products. So, in addition to their aesthetic and symbolic value, a nice diamond has potential longterm monetary value which can sometimes be quite significant.
Can't agree more!!

I am a big collector of designer purses, shoes, jewelry. My husband is a huge collector of watches and cars. Of all those, diamond is the least "depreciated" product in my opinion. That is to say, you lose money when you sell any of those, but you'll lose less with a diamond as opposed to a car or a handbag. Needless to say, one needs to have enough knowledge of diamonds to avoid rip-off, or it might be the biggest loss of all!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good point about the store of value.
I found that in 2008 a lot of folks realized that financial "securities" were not so secure- I think that inspired a lot of folks to re-evaluate.
Smoke'em if you got em

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tracylt|1466180839|4045174 said:
Texas Leaguer|1466175931|4045147 said:
bamagal,

Agreed.

Can't agree more!!

I am a big collector of designer purses, shoes, jewelry. My husband is a huge collector of watches and cars. Of all those, diamond is the least "depreciated" product in my opinion. That is to say, you lose money when you sell any of those, but you'll lose less with a diamond as opposed to a car or a handbag. Needless to say, one needs to have enough knowledge of diamonds to avoid rip-off, or it might be the biggest loss of all!
Good points.

I will add that it is not simply avoiding a ripoff that is the key. It is buying the right kind of diamond when it comes to liquidity. For instance, a light yellow marquise might be very pretty and offered at a good price. But you might have a hard time finding a buyer for it down the line simply because demand is not nearly as strong say a well cut G VS round.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Regarding the difficulty selling a G/VS RBC vs a Yellow Marquise
We'd also have to factor in rarity.
If you want a G/VS RBC there's like. a gazillion of them all over the web. FCD's in general are far less common.
In neither case is a consumer in a strong position if they need to sell- but it might not be clear cut which is a better stone if we're only considering a distress sale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results