shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather/needle near the girdle

BrownyJones

Rough_Rock
Hello - any thoughts on this stone? It looks like there is a feather near the girdle. Should this be a deal breaker?

_3594.jpeg

_3595.jpeg

Attachments

• 104084976116-pgrh.pdf
    398.3 KB · Views: 89

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrownyJones|1463173168|4031413 said:
Hello - any thoughts on this stone? It looks like there is a feather near the girdle. Should this be a deal breaker?

I don't see anything. Looks like a VVS stone to me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clicked on your image and the whole AGS report came up.

AGS graded it SI1.
I see 4 or 5 tiny feathers at the girdle and a larger one on the pavilion view at 8:00.
Since AGS listed them first, feather(s) were the most significant and grade-setting inclusions.

Since round is the most abundant shape, I would keep shopping.
People vary, and this person is not a fan of SI feathers listed first, especially when they are at the girdle.
YMMV ... but you asked.

screen_shot_2016-05-13_at_2.png

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have thought, like msop04 thought, it was a VVS stone as well. Apart from the feathers, it's pretty clean. What did WF say about it? Is this going to be a ring stone, pendant? Are you going to bezel it? I'm ok with feathers if they don't affect the integrity of the diamond. If you aren't sure about it, I would say hold off & keep looking. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer VS2 and higher myself, but for those shopping for SI1, I don't think feathers are a durability issue in SI1 stones. It looks like a gorgeous stone. As someone said, just ask WF! They have always answered my questions honestly and steered me to a better stone if needed!

BrownyJones

Rough_Rock
I don't have issues with feathers, but the ones by the girdle though are worrisome. Hence the SI1 grading, but then WF has it as an ACA, so to them the feathers on the girdle aren't worrisome in general, or for just this stone? The live chat person says not to worry, but then he/she is the salesperson, lol.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
BrownyJones|1463258098|4031718 said:
I don't have issues with feathers, but the ones by the girdle though are worrisome. Hence the SI1 grading, but then WF has it as an ACA, so to them the feathers on the girdle aren't worrisome in general, or for just this stone? The live chat person says not to worry, but then he/she is the salesperson, lol.
Yes, best to take everything coming from the vendor with a grain of salt :))

But durability is taken into account in lab grading and generally, with a round or other non-pointed shape, durability is largely a non-factor until you get into the imperfect range. It makes sense to be careful with Si2 as well because they might be borderline imperfect.

With pointed stones, like princess, the points are more vulnerable and a feather (or other types of inclusions ) can add to that vulnerability. The main risk is in setting them because you have to put a significant amount of pressure on the very tip. Once they are properly set, you are pretty much good to go. Not to say that an ACA princess will never have any kind of feather near a corner, but if we feel that it represents an elevated risk,we won't allow it in the brand. Same is also true for ACA round.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1463259360|4031724 said:
BrownyJones|1463258098|4031718 said:
Yes, best to take everything coming from the vendor with a grain of salt :))

But durability is taken into account in lab grading and generally, with a round or other non-pointed shape, durability is largely a non-factor until you get into the imperfect range. It makes sense to be careful with Si2 as well because they might be borderline imperfect.

With pointed stones, like princess, the points are more vulnerable and a feather (or other types of inclusions ) can add to that vulnerability. The main risk is in setting them because you have to put a significant amount of pressure on the very tip. Once they are properly set, you are pretty much good to go. Not to say that an ACA princess will never have any kind of feather near a corner, but if we feel that it represents an elevated risk,we won't allow it in the brand. Same is also true for ACA round.

Again, as in other threads, we see the advantage of dealing with a trusted vendor who has the diamonds in hand to look at and to accept or reject at the point of purchase for that brand.

As a competing vendor I can not talk about this specific diamond, but I would tend to put a lot of confidence in the live chat person as the brand has entirely too much to lose if that person is not telling the truth, and whole truth and nothing but the truth when asked. The reputation of this brand was not garnered by doing anything else.

Having diamonds available to be looked at and commented on by the seller is a tremendous advantage to the buyer in my opinion.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results