shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about large knot on VS1 stone - help!

upbeat_mushroom

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

First time poster here! I just got an engagement ring and upon looking at the GIA cert I'm confused by the very large looking knot listed on it. How can it be that big and still be a VS1 diamond?? Do you think it will create durability issues? It is eye-clean in person. I am within the ring's return policy but have just a few more weeks left to decide so I'd appreciate some help! Thank you!!!!

Edit: The ring is getting resized so I unfortunately can't put up a photo until it comes back.

Attachments

• diamond_12.pdf
    141.9 KB · Views: 102

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope. The knot is listed on the GIA certificate third so this means GIA thought is was of less consequence than the crystal so given its large surface I would think it is shallow? Hopefully one of the professionals will be able to comment here too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA inclusions plot is a roadmap. It tells you where the inclusions are in 2D, and how large a surface they span, but doesn't tell you anything at all about how "severe" they are (how visible they are, how much they affect light return)... just like roads on a roadmap: one could be a five-laner in the middle of nowhere with two cars every two hours, one could be a one-laner in the middle of NYC - both look the same on the map, but...

You're looking at a reputably graded VS1, and as Pyramid already noted, the knot is the third inclusion listed (GIA lists them from most to least "severe" top-down, and that's the only indication of severity you get - the first inclusion listed is the grade-making inclusion). This knot is most definitely of the five-laner with two cars every two hours variety... technically it's there, yes, but the odds of it being visible or impeding light return in a 1.2ct VS1 are so, so, SO incredibly low that I'm completely comfortable stating that it's absolutely nothing to worry about, visually or practically.

upbeat_mushroom

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, everyone! Super helpful analogy too to GIA inclusion reporting. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results