shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond in direct sunlight

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
So I recently just purchased a diamond from James Allen and I am very happy with the ring. However, when I took a look at the diamond outside in direct sunlight.. Well I defiantly didn't see what I expected. My diamond looked extremely white but with no sparkle at all. Can anyone explain why this could be happening? It is an excellent cut diamond and had these specs:

Depth 62.1 %
Table 58 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Crown Height 15.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 50%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet None

Thanks for any help you can give me!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it pristinely clean? That will make a difference.

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
Yes I cleaned it before.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
What were the conditions? Overcast, cloudy, or sunny without a cloud in sight? :read:

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
It was very sunny if I recall

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
Inside it performs wells in brightly lit rooms as well as decently lot rooms. Shines the most with bright lights in the bathroom! Haha

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the certificate say about flourescence?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to go under a tree where the bright light gets sort of filtered. That's when mine looks the best outside. Bright, bright sun
can make it go dark.

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
It's not that the diamond goes dark. It looks basically all white! And it's a strong blue fluorescence.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wbrandon|1433250689|3884126 said:
It's not that the diamond goes dark. It looks basically all white! And it's a strong blue fluorescence.
It's very likely the strong fluorescence is responsible for the issue you are seeing. Direct sunlight has an abundance of high intensity UV wavelengths that activate the fluorescent effect and can negatively impact transparency. More on fluoresecence can be found here:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
This is very disappointing.:/

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Have you had an independent appraisal done? I would do that before making any rash decisions.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen has a good return policy, and (IIRC) 30-day money back guarantee.
Call them today and explain you didn't know about fluorescence and would like to change the diamond.
Even if it is beyond 30 days maybe they can help you.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wbrandon|1433255274|3884163 said:
This is very disappointing.:/
The good news is that direct sunlight is essentially the only lighting scenario that will cause this problem. Even sunlight filtered by clouds or window glass will reduce the amount and intensity of UV to the point that fluorescence is not activated. Indoor fluorescent lighting is also not of high enough intensity to active the effect, unless you hold the diamond within several inches of the light source.

So, from a practical standpoint, if the viewing environments where you are likely to be observing the diamond day to day do not include a significant amount of outdoor direct sun, the transparency issue is largely moot.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wbrandon|1433250689|3884126 said:
Here is my VSB under the sun light..Does your ring look this blue or deeper blue?

img_8152.jpg

img_8153.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife's non fluor ring compared to my VSB ring. Indoor and outdoor under the sun photos.

img_8154.jpg

img_8155.jpg

img_8156.jpg

img_8157.jpg

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
My diamond isn't a blue color. It truly is white there is no blue at all.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion only, but direct sun is not a good lighting condition for diamonds of any cut shape of mine (mrb, AVC, AVR, emerald, or oec). It can mess with your psyche and make you question your choice, for sure! But know you are not alone. Take it under a tree, into Home Depot, or anywhere with concentrated light and it will sparkle like mad. As long as it looks good in the lighting conditions you will normally be viewing it in, I wouldn't be concerned. Doesn't sound like fluor is the issue. And fluor is cool. :bigsmile:

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Lighting matters so much! I will second the scattered light approach for a fun light show.

Below is my lady's ring in different types of sunlight. Cloudless sunny day, overcast, and dappled lighting (through mostly-closed blinds in the living room).

Are any of these what you're seeing? :read:

_30777.jpg

_30778.jpg

_30779.jpg

wbrandon

Rough_Rock
The last picture probably is the most similar that you have shown!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to check that baby out under a black light before you decide to return it! I'm in the fluoro is cool camp - both because of the black light effect and because it will likely look whiter (than it's been graded) under other lighting as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results