shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with Diamond Studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Double R

Rough_Rock

My wife is pregnant (giving birth at the end of the month) and I''ve decided to buy her round diamond studs as a little present (she''s always wanted them). I would be most appreciative for thoughts/guidance on the following questions:

1. Size: I was thinking somewhere between .85 - 1.02 each.

2. Color/Cut: Based on my diligence so far, it sounds like G-H color and SI2 is appropriate?

3. Price: Of course, I would like to get a good a price as possible, however, I know that you get what you pay for. With that in mind, what would be a fair price?

4. Settings: 3 Prong or 4 Prong?

5. Clarity Enhanced: One person I spoke with recommended clarity enhanced studs by Yehuda. How much does this typically save and is the price tradeoff worth it?

Many thanks in advance for your advise.

1.gif

UnionDiamond

Rough_Rock

Hi Double R,

1. Size: I was thinking somewhere between .85 - 1.02 each.

That range is a great size. You may want to ask for the mm size of the pair you choose. Make sure that you are getting something that measures correctly for the size category you are buying. Proportions are also a good idea to get though I doubt you will find many people who offer that.

2. Color/Cut: Based on my diligence so far, it sounds like G-H color and SI2 is appropriate?

G-H and SI2 is an excellent choice for earrings. They''ll be white, bright and clean to the eye.

3. Price: Of course, I would like to get a good a price as possible, however, I know that you get what you pay for. With that in mind, what would be a fair price?

Depending on where and what size you purchase, I think that the price could go anywhere from $2300 to $3500. I''m sure you could find something cheaper or more expensive but that should give you a good range to begin with.

4. Settings: 3 Prong or 4 Prong?

Your choice. I would not worry too much about one holding the stones better than others. Choose the ones that are most visually appealling to you.

5. Clarity Enhanced: One person I spoke with recommended clarity enhanced studs by Yehuda. How much does this typically save and is the price tradeoff worth it?

I personally would never purchase or sell clarity enhanced but there is a market for them. It''s a matter of personal preference. They can look ok but I''m not sure if they are worth the discount.

BTW, regardless of what anyone says, Pampers are the best!

23.gif
Good luck at the end of the month...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The price quoted in one of the above replies is way low. That would be "per stone" and would not really cover well cut, over 1ct weight stones.

I would suggest that earrings that look excellent can really be other than the always popular G-H/ SI2. Depending on the setting color, you might go to I-K in yellow gold and have no problem with looks and appeal. If they need to match a solitaire ring of a better color, then there could be an issue, but if not, maybe you can save money or go larger. Also, while SI2 is fine, I have seen many I1 pairs of earrings that make the grade for looking very good.

If the wife has long hair that covers the diamonds, she can enjoy a bit lower grade than if the stones were constantly showing. When someone can view the stones easily, the clarity may become more noticeable. Nothing worng withsmall eye-visible inclusions in large earrings when the budget dictates a little restraint.

Three, four or six prong is pretty much the same, but there are many height variations possible in any of these types. Unless you have a real problem with the money, I would not recommend Yehuda or other glass in-filled diamonds. They do look real nice, but the glass filling will not last forever and will need re-treatment in the future. It degrades with exposure to UV light over time. Also, many or most diamond buyers are not interested in purchasing these doctored stones second hand, so the liquidity is much more limited with these treated diamonds than with untreated. I know that few people think that someday these diamonds will be sold, but you cannot take them with you and someday, someone will want to sell them. Maybe attitudes about them will change, but right now, there are a lot fewer buyers of these treated stones.

They do sell for 15 or 20 percent less than similar looking stones, but I question if this is a good deal or not. It becomes a personal decision based on what you know and can afford.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock

The size for her studs sounds lovely, I think she will be thrilled. Clarity enhanced stones,.... well, I would reconsider if I were you. They are ok if you plan on leaving them in earrings forever...

As for the color and clarity, I think the choice is perfect. Keep your cost down and have little sparklies to boot~!

For the studs, I would go for the 4-prong for security reasons. You don''t want her to loose them.

emsmileo.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As one other poster (lop) suggested, I would watch the size. I have big earlobes and started out with a pair of 1.25 carat each studs. I later bought .50 carat studs, but in a great cut and D color. I don't think you NEED to go above a G-H color or SI2 for earrings, but be careful going above .50 carat, too! Heavy earrings that pull down the lobe are not attractive even if the earlobe is big enough to look appropriate with them. I would have said to stay with a .50 size tops, but if lop has .60 studs that look good, maybe that is OK, too. I really wouldn't go bigger! Ears are not like hands!

I, also, cannot imagine wanting clarity enhanced diamonds. I agree with everyone else on that.

My feeling about diamond studs is that they look best small, bright, and sparking on the middle of the earlobe.

UnionDiamond

Rough_Rock
The guys are right. My appologies. The price I suggested was based on a 1ct tw pair and not 1ct each.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results