shape
carat
color
clarity

Golden Beryl vs. a Yellow Sapphire?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I am a newbie to this side of the forum...I'm just dabbling into colored stones...I have my heart set on a halo'd yellow sapphire, but I have seen some that really appear lackluster... I would love something with a little sparkle- basically I would like to mimic a canary diamond as much as possible without the price tag. BE will be setting the stone, but I'm wondering if they are the best option to procure the stone? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't know that I am comfortable with Ebay, although I know some people have had amazing luck there! I would like something substantial, 4.5 cts (I'm learning I have to go larger than diamond weight based on density.) Something in the 9×11ish range... open to cut. Is there another gemstone besides a yellow sapphire that would achieve this look? I like buttery yellows, and don't want anything green...

Thank you!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TruLuv858|1420217584|3810876 said:
Hi! I am a newbie to this side of the forum...I'm just dabbling into colored stones...I have my heart set on a halo'd yellow sapphire, but I have seen some that really appear lackluster... I would love something with a little sparkle- basically I would like to mimic a canary diamond as much as possible without the price tag. BE will be setting the stone, but I'm wondering if they are the best option to procure the stone? Anyone have any suggestions? I don't know that I am comfortable with Ebay, although I know some people have had amazing luck there! I would like something substantial, 4.5 cts (I'm learning I have to go larger than diamond weight based on density.) Something in the 9×11ish range... open to cut. Is there another gemstone besides a yellow sapphire that would achieve this look? I like buttery yellows, and don't want anything green...

Thank you!!

I would go for golden chrysoberyl. It's almost as hard as sapphre, very very durable, and when well cut, has fabulous luster and brilliance. Some are greenish yellow, so go for the more golden yellows, but be careful of ones that are overly brown. They are also not treated to my knowledge. They're also much more affordable than sapphires with similar features.

I don't recommend golden beryl, they're not as durable/hard, and I think some are irradiated. They also don't take on the luster or brilliance of a chrysoberyl.

Good luck!

Here's a nice buttery one on this page, all the way to the left. I would ask if there's a lot of brown in it though. An untreated sapphire with the same color would cost ten times as much.

http://www.gemfix.com/chrysoberyl.html

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on how much you plan to wear the ring and your budget. Beryl is chippy and shouldn't be worn daily while sapphire is durable enough to be worn daily. Beryl will be cheaper and yellow sapphire much more expensive especially at that size. Sapphires are dense and often cut deep so a 1ct sapphire will look smaller than a 1ct diamond, as you said.

I don't think either will mimic a diamond.

Most FCDs are facted in the 'crushed ice' pattern in a radiant shape. When I saw this one it reminded me of that facet pattern. But it's smaller than your desired size. I can't comment on how fair the price is because I don't know. It's unheated.

2.67 ct, 7.22 x 5.69 x 6.27mm, IF clarity
$2400
http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html (towards the end of the page)

TL recommended chrysoberyl. They tend to be either greenish yellow or brownish yellow. The 'golden' ones are from what I've seen only slightly brownish which may or may not be acceptable to you.

I think you should definitely get a gem with an excellent cut to maximize light return since that seems important to you.

ETA: TL; thats a good find.

6727526_orig.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I'd second yellow zircon to get something that looks a bit more "diamondy".

ETA because of the dispersion, that is. Re: not wanting green...I know that the multicolour.com listings for yellow zircons often describe color as greenish-yellow, but at least the one i have I really don't see any green. though i don't see anything in the size you're looking for except pears/trillions right now on that site, but he may have other stuff that's not listed yet. at least from my limited browsing that site tends to have more options that look yellow (to my amateur eye) rather than just golden-brown. but i bought mine years ago (and have been remiss in posting the completed ring) and haven't really shopped for CS that much recently, so maybe someone else can suggest another source.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much are you planning on wearing it? Gemstones have different hardness, and Sapphire would be the hardest option, with Chrysoberyl coming in second. Beryl and zircon are going to be softer.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!! Thank you so much for the help! I am clueless and this is invaluable! I do plan on wearing it often, sometimes in lieu of my Engagment ring... so it sounds like I should purchase this from a seperate vendor? Am I understanding this correctly? I don't really mind a crushed ice effect (interestingly enough, I don't like this look at all in cushion diamonds) but I feel like this makes make it look more "diamond-like," I find some of the sapphires can look flat or glassy, which, in my opinion makes it look like a synthetic gem. How much of a price differential am I looking at between a Crysoberyl and a Sapphire? I am seeing a million different vendors on all of these posts... can I narrow my search down to a couple you might recommend for this specific request?

I had never considered a zircon? I didn't know they came in a buttery yellow??! I always assumed they were more aquamarine"ish," sorry for my naivety...whole new world here, and I am excited!!!
Thank you so much!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do zircon, as the facets abrade over time, and you'd have to get it recut or repolished unless you wore it rarely. Even the dust particles in the air in dry climates do it.

Zircons are typically known for: pink, red, brown, orangey, blue, green, colorless and yellow.

For what you want, I'd do sapphire or chrysoberyl.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TruLuv858|1420252747|3811138 said:
Hi All!! Thank you so much for the help! I am clueless and this is invaluable! I do plan on wearing it often, sometimes in lieu of my Engagment ring... so it sounds like I should purchase this from a seperate vendor? Am I understanding this correctly? I don't really mind a crushed ice effect (interestingly enough, I don't like this look at all in cushion diamonds) but I feel like this makes make it look more "diamond-like," I find some of the sapphires can look flat or glassy, which, in my opinion makes it look like a synthetic gem. How much of a price differential am I looking at between a Crysoberyl and a Sapphire? I am seeing a million different vendors on all of these posts... can I narrow my search down to a couple you might recommend for this specific request?

I had never considered a zircon? I didn't know they came in a buttery yellow??! I always assumed they were more aquamarine"ish," sorry for my naivety...whole new world here, and I am excited!!!
Thank you so much!!

A natural unheated sapphire will cost five to ten times as much as a similar looking chrysoberyl, and maybe even more, depending on the dealer. I have a diamond cut round chrysoberyl. The stone sparkles to the moon, and is not flat looking at all. I highly recommend a well cut/polished chrysoberyl for optimal sparkle and scintillation.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Since cut is the main thing that makes gems sparkle, perhaps it's a good idea to focus on the precision cutters in the 'vendors for reference' thread which is pinned at the top.

Unless someone does it before me I will list a bunch of them for you later.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all again so much for taking to the time to help!!! I am going to take a look at the aforementioned list...I really appreciate it!!

S

SparkliesLuver

TruLuv858 said:
Awwh! Thanks for thinking of me! I actually reached out to him to see what else he might have, he is cutting one now, but it's a bit green... I so appreciate you being on the look out!!

:) Very cool! Came across this ... :love:

2.46ct Australian Sapphire
6.25 × 8.52 × 5.36mm
Untreated (comes with a Prestige Report from AGL - #CS 55368)
$3,000 (not sure what your budget is)
http://www.torraca.net/projects/sapy780/

sapy780_hand.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1420809886|3813962 said:
TruLuv858 said:
Awwh! Thanks for thinking of me! I actually reached out to him to see what else he might have, he is cutting one now, but it's a bit green... I so appreciate you being on the look out!!

:) Very cool! Came across this ... :love:

2.46ct Australian Sapphire
6.25 × 8.52 × 5.36mm
Untreated (comes with a Prestige Report from AGL - #CS 55368)
$3,000 (not sure what your budget is)
http://www.torraca.net/projects/sapy780/

This looks just like some chrysoberyl I've seen. If on a budget, I would consider a well cut chryso instead. It may be $600 to $1K for a similar stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results