shape
carat
color
clarity

To split shank or not split shank, that is the ?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,
What are your thoughts on split shanks on halo'd cushions? I keep going back and forth... do I have one single shank or split it, and if I split it, do I have the split meet, or bring 2 together to form one? I am curious as to whether I would tire of this look? I think it's beautiful, but do any of you out there that have this feature love it, or wish they had just had one row? And why? Too much?

Just looking for some opinions...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that a lot depends on what you are considering for your band. Do you plan to wear a matching band, contrasting band, stacking bands, etc., or NO BAND? I think that a split shank with a band pushes the ring up on your finger, and for me, that doesn't work because I have short fingers and it looks odd. So I guess it also depends on whether or not you have long fingers.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Nala- you raise a good point, as I plan on wearing my Tiffany Novo, but I was worried about it looking a bit crowded. I also have another all WG solid band I like to stack with currently... I do have long fingers, which is an advantage, but your points are valid for consideration.

TIA!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small hands very chunky/chubby fingers, and delicate rings do not suit me. I like rings to provide good finger coverage, and prefer shanks to be wide and solid rather than thin and split. However, that's my personal preferences, of course.

DK :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a split shank halo which I couldn't wear a band with. I don't have short fingers but I didn't have enough room to comfortably wear a band. I have since purchased a different style of split shank and I can easily fit one or two bands with it. It all depends on the style you choose :))

_24451.jpg

maisiehalosapp.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A well executed split shank can create an extra oomph to a ring. I like the look if the split is not to big but this is very personal. Like the other said: it also depends if you want to combine it with a band or not.

I love Thadanim's adapted Donna split shank by Victor:

_24452.jpg

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of a split shank, but I have never had one so I am not sure about wearing a band with it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful example of split shank with band. This ring does not have a halo though

_24453.jpg

senorpacifico

Rough_Rock
I realized lately there is so many verifications of the split shank. I wonder what is everyones favorite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both the split joins into 1 and the split but stays as 2 bands joined together and love both equally.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I have a split shank and I love it! I work on a computer all day and below is the view I always see, which I adore. I don't wear a wedding band with it so I can't help you there (it is a RHR, but I wear it as an ER ring too). My split is very subtle, so I would imagine it would still look good with a wedding band.

View I see:
img_2719.jpg

Top view:
img_2698.jpg

vadenstar

Rough_Rock
I did a lot of thinking and looked at a ton of different split shanks out there to determine what I liked and what I didn't. Some splits I really liked, others I hated. I had to get very specific with my jeweler about exactly how I wanted mine to look.

I think the best thing that you should do is to just look at a lot of different rings and see what feelings you have toward each different style. I had a collage of pictures of ones I liked, and ones I didn't like. Then looked at them and figured out why I did or didn't like one or the other.

I personally didn't prefer shanks that you could see from the top view of the ring, but that you could see from the side as an extra surprise that added personality and more depth.

I am really happy with my decision to go with the split shank. I think just a pave band alone was to simple for me. My split went into a knife edge with pave diamonds on each side of the edge. It sorta looks like two different bands, but is really just one.

Here are two pics of my ring. Hope this helps!

img_0156_0.jpg img_0182.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the split shank speaks enough.. I am not a fan of split shank, if I were to buy one I would wear it RHR only.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I recently went through the same debate for my moonstone ring design, and I ultimately decided on a small split that meets to become one. I love love love it, and I'm so glad I went for the split. I'm not a fan of really wide splits so I kept it narrow, and I also love the way it looks stacked with my bands. It was meant as a RHR, but I find myself wearing it in place of my ering sometimes because I enjoy the look so much!

1463759_10205403994362260_1691313762912812676_n.jpg

10171013_10205403783236982_5421013458262508438_n.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
vadenstar|1416590902|3788024 said:
I did a lot of thinking and looked at a ton of different split shanks out there to determine what I liked and what I didn't. Some splits I really liked, others I hated. I had to get very specific with my jeweler about exactly how I wanted mine to look.

I think the best thing that you should do is to just look at a lot of different rings and see what feelings you have toward each different style. I had a collage of pictures of ones I liked, and ones I didn't like. Then looked at them and figured out why I did or didn't like one or the other.

I personally didn't prefer shanks that you could see from the top view of the ring, but that you could see from the side as an extra surprise that added personality and more depth.

I am really happy with my decision to go with the split shank. I think just a pave band alone was to simple for me. My split went into a knife edge with pave diamonds on each side of the edge. It sorta looks like two different bands, but is really just one.

Here are two pics of my ring. Hope this helps!

img_0156_0.jpg img_0182.jpg

I love this split- especially how it's so exaggerated from the side and hidden from the top!! Do you happen to know the size of melee on your halo? How big is your center stone? You rarely see different size melee on the band and halo... I honestly love the combo, so different :)

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for sharing... these are all beautiful and the pictures really provide some perspective, I adore the look, but worry I would tire of the look, and DH has made it clear, there will be no further resets down the road- lol!

Your feedback is very helpful- even if you are not a fan...since it is my concern that it may be too "trendy." I just think they are really special. I'm pretty open to examples, feedback, opinions, etc. So, again, thank you for taking time to respond :wavey:

Star sparkle- congrats on that beauty, DK did a beautiful job!! Jewel of the week, wow!

Tweeter- Gorgepus ring... love it!

Acinom- beautiful examples! Stunning! Is the first Charmy's? She has such a beautiful collection!

Chrono- I am so torn between having two meet, or keeping them seperate, I love the look of both too! You have one of each, lucky girl!!! I know I definitely want a shank where they meet, just not sure if I keep to thin bands, or one that merges into a larger one?

Maisie- your ring is beautiful!

Thank you for sharing your opinions... I am torn and it seems as though many of you were faced with similar dilemmas. I feel like like the split shank looks so beautiful on its own, that wearing my band may take aaway from the beauty of the ring itself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like split shanks, love them actually, but I prefer them without a halo. I think they look better. But there are some split shanks with halos that I like as well, primarily those with round center stones.

What shape is your stone again?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1416643542|3788398 said:
I like split shanks, love them actually, but I prefer them without a halo. I think they look better. But there are some split shanks with halos that I like as well, primarily those with round center stones.

What shape is your stone again?

Gypsy- it's a 2.5 OMB, I am unable to attach a picture, but the stone can be found in my old links. It's 8.67x 7.53. I wear a size 4 and have fairly long fingers, just to give you an idea.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple of split shank styles I like... as you can see I'm all over the place.

010b759fc717ee14c038f21ef1bf8ccc.jpg

images__4___4_.jpg

images__7___1_.jpg

d48c61c7612f3a33226df186a22de5e1.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot post pics of my own stone for the life of me? For whatever reason they are not downloading? You can find them in my old links, if anyone can help? I had no problem with the other downloads :rolleyes:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TruLuv858|1416679134|3788564 said:
I cannot post pics of my own stone for the life of me? For whatever reason they are not downloading? You can find them in my old links, if anyone can help? I had no problem with the other downloads :rolleyes:

I actually just hunted down your current ring. I think its gorgeous! Do you mind sharing why you are changing the setting? I love to hear back stories.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here you go...

_24478.jpg

_24479.jpg

_24480.jpg

_24481.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
TruLove - the last ring you posted is mine. The one Acinom posted was inspired by my ring and owned by another PSer.

This is the first version of my ring that Leon made. It is paired with my LM eternity band that is similar to the Novo. This ring was incorrectly made with a bigger split into two bands.
LeonWrongRing3.jpg

LeonWrongRing6.jpg

He remade it with a smaller split into one band which is what I wanted. My daily wedding band is a v-shaped one that I simply adore - I have many other wedding bands (LM eternity, Tiffany French cut, 5 stones, 7 stones, color stones, fancy shapes) but my SK v-shaped one is my favorite without hesitation.
CharmyPoo%20-%20EringMorePave1.jpg

CharmyPoo%20-%20WeddingSet%20-%20Rocks3.jpg

CharmyPoo%20-%20WeddingSet%20-%20Pearls2.jpg

CharmyPoo%20-%20WeddingSet-Hand1.jpg

The band with my Maytal halo.
charmypoo-wb1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them on squarish/cushion stones and halos.
I also like split shanks on elongated stones like ovals and any fairly large stone. Sort of helps balance things in my eyes. I
would never think of them as trendy. The only issue I see with
them is with the wedding band not sitting smooth against
it but I could live with that.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1416681554|3788579 said:

I actually just hunted down your current ring. I think its gorgeous! Do you mind sharing why you are changing the setting? I love to hear back stories.

Nala- Thank you so much! I do love it, but I am suffering from DSS... I am keeping the original setting and putting another gemstone in it.

Acinom- thank you so much for posting...

Charmy- I love your rings, I never noticed that your split shank had changed? Both are beautiful! I should have known it was yours! It's in my inspiration folder, I hope you don't mind!!

Tyty333- I worry about my band too... that is my main concern.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's lovely. I wouldn't halo it personally. I think it's just right on your hand. I'd go for Charmy's exact ring if you want a change. But you say you are suffering from DSS.

It's a great sized stone.

I personally don't believe in sinking too much money into one piece (I did two resets myself, but I spent less on both of them than most people spend on one setting).

Can you maybe distract yourself from fixating on your engagement ring. A nice RHR would be a great distraction. Or a watch. Or a bracelet. Or stackers.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1416715760|3788798 said:
It's lovely. I wouldn't halo it personally. I think it's just right on your hand. I'd go for Charmy's exact ring if you want a change. But you say you are suffering from DSS.

It's a great sized stone.

I personally don't believe in sinking too much money into one piece (I did two resets myself, but I spent less on both of them than most people spend on one setting).

Can you maybe distract yourself from fixating on your engagement ring. A nice RHR would be a great distraction. Or a watch. Or a bracelet. Or stackers.
Haha! Great advice, Gypsy...can't I have it all? Lol! Thank you for the lovely compliment!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all want it all. Most of us can't have it. I like your ring as is. It's very classic. But I understand wanting a change. That said, a nice RHR can be a great distraction.

Another option for some is an upgrade of the center stone.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1416724192|3788842 said:
We all want it all. Most of us can't have it. I like your ring as is. It's very classic. But I understand wanting a change. That said, a nice RHR can be a great distraction.

Another option for some is an upgrade of the center stone.

Gypsy- Thank you!! Upgrading my center was I wanted to do originally, unfortunately the cost of diamonds has risen so dramatically since I purchased mine, that I would need to spend 15-20k more to achieve something in the 3ct+range (close to $40k). I feel like i have such a nice spread size, that going to just 3cts wouldn't be worth my while, not for the price... I would want something more substantial/noticeable... I already checked with Mark at ERD who sourced my current stone.

Thank you so much for the compliments!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results