shape
carat
color
clarity

Assistance with CAD for Sapphire E-Ring

vadenstar

Rough_Rock
I received the CAD for my sapphire e ring yesterday, and I am looking for some input. I have no experience working with CAD ever before.

My mother gave me my great grandmothers old platinum diner rings to use for my engagement ring. So I wanted to be able to use the platinum and diamonds from the old rings in my new ring! A friend at work who has a ton of jewelry, recommended a guy to me who does custom jewelry and I have been working with him to build/design me a ring! I was really looking for some design and general assistance with the CAD because honestly I am not sure what is good or bad. Also I really wanted to incorporate the baguette diamonds in the one old ring, so if anyone has any good ideas about what to do with them in the ring other than what we have done already that would be great!

ggs_rings.png cad_1_0.jpg cad_2_0.jpg cad_3_0.jpg cad_4_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the baguettes fit so well together in that ring (love that ring by the way). Whatever the jeweler does, the baguettes may not align as perfectly as they do in your grandmother's ring, so be careful. Honestly, I would leave the ring as it is, it's GORGEOUS, and find a stone to set in there. It has sentimental value too. JMO.

The baguettes are not straight cuts, and have a trapezoid shape to them, so it's not like you can just line them up.

vadenstar

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL! Several jewelers have looked at that ring and said how very nice it was. Wish I had the 2 carat diamond that was in the center!

The ring has already been taken apart and all the diamonds have been measured to see what we could use and what I would keep and what would have to be added because they are all very different. :cry: , and we are actually re using that platinum.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CAD is very pretty but are the measurements true to what you have?
How many rounds? Mm sizes?
How many baguettes? Are they tapered or rectangles? Mm sizes?

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock
It seems that the tapered baguettes may be more easily incorporated into the shank, as opposed to the undergallery. I agree with TL there: those stones may not fit as perfectly as the renderings show. Perhaps you could use the rounds in the undergallery and the baguettes elsewhere (the shank/band)? Just my .02. I really love the design, overall. And i think it's wonderful that you're able to use some of your family heirloom pieces. =)

I'll also add, since you mentioned being unfamiliar with the CAD process, that the CADs will always look bulkier/heavier than the finished piece. Markedly, in fact. Just something to keep in mind as you move forward. ;))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! What a beautiful design. I am looking forward to see the real thing.
The undergallery design is stunning! I am afraid though that your baguettes are more tapered and will not fit as nicely. Does the jeweller already have the stones? Perhaps she could do a new suggestion based on the shape of your stones.

vadenstar

Rough_Rock
Chrono:

I am unsure of the exact measurements of the stones used vs the ones I have. My understanding is that he will use the ones that he can that fit the projected sizes and that I will keep the extras that we don't use or he said he would be willing to trade my stones for the correct size.

Fire Monkey:

We are editing the way the shank is and I am unsure if the baguettes would work but that is a good thought, thanks!

I was worried about how the design did look a little bulky and I wasn't wanting a big ring. My jeweler said the same thing you did, but it is nice to hear the same thing from someone else.

Acinom:

I told the jeweler I wanted to use as many of the diamonds I had in the new ring. Last I talked with him he seemed out of ideas of what to do with the baguettes...Seems like there are not many options which is disappointing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vadenstar|1408722505|3737543 said:
Chrono:

I am unsure of the exact measurements of the stones used vs the ones I have. My understanding is that he will use the ones that he can that fit the projected sizes and that I will keep the extras that we don't use or he said he would be willing to trade my stones for the correct size.

Fire Monkey:

We are editing the way the shank is and I am unsure if the baguettes would work but that is a good thought, thanks!

I was worried about how the design did look a little bulky and I wasn't wanting a big ring. My jeweler said the same thing you did, but it is nice to hear the same thing from someone else.

Acinom:

I told the jeweler I wanted to use as many of the diamonds I had in the new ring. Last I talked with him he seemed out of ideas of what to do with the baguettes...Seems like there are not many options which is disappointing.

I've seen halos with cluster of diamonds, with baguettes and rounds, and other shapes. Maybe you could do that???

A really good and artistic jeweler could randomly place all the rounds and baguettes together around a basket (for the center stone). It's hard to describe and I can't find any good examples online, although I have seen that concept before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results