carat
color
clarity

AUSFTA ??? Help needed, import tax. 2nd hand Tiffany E-ring

Cookie96

Rough_Rock
Hi all :)
Here is my dilemma.

I've decided to buy a ring from an ebay seller : diamond dr. It's a gorgeous 1 ct Tiffany Channel Setting.
Can some please help me with all the import taxs and duty fees I have to pay..

Ring is in USA I'm importing it to me in Australia

Ring is $11000 usd
Postage $125 usd
Total $11125

Now someone told me it's 10% Australian gst plus 5% duty

Will I qualify for Ausfta???
If so do I have to notify anyone ( seller/ customs )??
And what is the discount if I do qualify?

Another question.. Is there anyway to bring the price of importing this ring down?? It kinda looks cheaper for a return flight from aus to nyc!!! Has anyone done that??

Can't wait to get some help :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: AUSFTA ??? Help needed, import tax. 2nd hand Tiffany E-r

Hi, :wavey:
We have a free trade agreement with the US, this means anything made in the US qualifies. But here is the catch you have to either have the correct documentation or be able to prove it was made in the US to qualify.

The totally amount is 15% if you get the seller to fill out the correct AUSFTA document/s and attach them to the front of the package customs will charge you 10% gst - there is no way to get out of that. You will save 5% in duty BUT if they do not fill in the forms, do not know how to fill in the forms, or the package arrives without the forms, then you will have to pay the full 15% and then submit the appropriate forms to customs in order to prove that the item was made in the US. You can argue with them and attempt to do this before they release the item (and only pay the 10%) but unless you can get the sender to agree to fill in the correct forms and email them to you if the package arrives without them, customs will not release it to you and will threaten after a certain period to send it back again unless you pay the full amount.

If you pay the full 15% and want to contest it, you then fill in the paperwork yourself to attempt to get a 5% refund which can and usually does take months and even then they can still refuse to agree that the item was made in the US. They make the process have enough red tape that most people give up in disgust.... I have been through all of this a number of times over a number of years. What can I say customs is a complete pain in the backside. If the vendor doesn't attach the correct forms, you could be lucky and get someone that will help you with the correct forms that will process it all for you but in the past 10 years I have imported items that has only happened once. It is much better to have the correct forms filled in from the vendor attached to the box and also if you can get a copy (from the vendor) of the forms emailed to you as well so that you do not have to argue with them.

So I guess what I am saying is the choices are have the vendor fill in the correct AUSFTA documents and attach them to the front of the box and email you a copy so the package is processed without hassle (customs notifies you of the 10% and their handling fees and you pay them and they release your ring) or you have to suck it up and pay the full 15%.

Customs will notify you when the package arrives of the amount you have to pay. If you want that to happen as quickly as possible tell the vendor to write your phone number clearly on the front of the package, otherwise they notify you via mail and this takes a number extra days.

I usually get the tracking number from the vendor and check where my packages are every day and once it arrives, call customs myself and pay asap to get the item as soon as possible, the less time it sits around the less chance of it going missing.

Cookie96

Rough_Rock

Arkieb1- your amazing :)

Thank you so much for the help , well I'm guessing buying a second hand genuine Tiffany Ring the whole rule of it must be manufactured in USA is going to be fine, as I'm pretty sure tiffany make there own rings in house New York?? Am I right in thinking that ?? ;-) now I'm not too sure...

Well if so then my only hurdle is trying to get a ebay seller to go out of there way for me!! Could be difficult..
Is there a form to fill out? Where can I find it?

Also I know this maybe wrong but if the seller declares it at a lesser value ie let's say a $2000 dollar ring instead of $12000 will that affect me in anyway?? Other than saving me HEAPS :))

And last question if It works out cheaper to just fly and pick up ring then fly home can I just put the ring on my finger and not declare??
Scary but I gotta ask??

Thanks again

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cookie96|1407070699|3725313 said:

Thank you so much for the help , well I'm guessing buying a second hand genuine Tiffany Ring the whole rule of it must be manufactured in USA is going to be fine, as I'm pretty sure tiffany make there own rings in house New York?? Am I right in thinking that ?? ;-) now I'm not too sure...

Well if so then my only hurdle is trying to get a ebay seller to go out of there way for me!! Could be difficult..

Also I know this maybe wrong but if the seller declares it at a lesser value ie let's say a $2000 dollar ring instead of $12000 will that affect me in anyway?? Other than saving me HEAPS :))

And last question if It works out cheaper to just fly and pick up ring then fly home can I just put the ring on my finger and not declare??
Scary but I gotta ask??

Thanks again

I think it is a bad idea to declare the ring for $2000.00 you still pay $265.00 to $280.00 in taxes and duties and if it gets stolen or goes missing you will not be insured for the full amount. When vendors declare the amount on the front of the box it is also for the purpose of insurance as well as for customs, just keep that in mind.

Technically I can't encourage you to break the law, but I will say this, for the cost of a return flight if you stay in the US and have to go to somewhere to pick up the ring by the time you do all that on an $11 000 ring it is possibly going to cost you more than the 15% anyway. If it is a much larger amount then I think some people do it and it is probably worth it, but keep in mind that if you are caught you will have to pay the 15% + a fine.

The correct forms are on the Aussie customs website. It's late here I have to go to bed, but if you can't find them let me know I will see if I can find them tomorrow.

Cookie96

Rough_Rock

Your a rock star thank you so very much ;-)

I will just pay the 10%, and be done with it !! ;-) less headache..

I'm jumping straight to that website now to look at ausfta form..

You have helped me out with everything I needed to know I can't thank you enough ;-)
Cheers

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Cookie96 or arkieb1,
Can you please post a link to the form on the customs website?
Thank you.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5939.asp

I would be wary of declaring it at a lower value. Customs can and do inspect imported goods and they value them too. They know what the value should be. They also have the right to check bank payments overseas so can see what you have paid for an item. You can face a hefty fine.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is the specific form you fill in after the event;

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/B374_001.pdf

But the one that Victor, the JBEG girls, Brian Gavin and GOG fill in beforehand doesn't look like that. I don't have one sitting around but I will keep looking for you. It has the total value on it and it indicates that the item was made in the US.

I also agree that Customs frequently opens items and if they consider the value higher than what you have declared they calculate the value themselves and then charge you based on that instead of what is declared, so if you get busted under declaring anything you can get charged a higher amount than what you really should have paid anyway.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

There's nothing you can do to bring down the price of customs tax.

I recently purchased a preloved piece of Tiffany jewellery from a consignment site in the the US and it was $70 plus 15% customs duty.

Unfortunately you really need to be aware of the customs charges beforehand, and factor that into your price when you a purchasing. It makes international items much less of a bargain than what they may look like unfortunately. I would be interested to see if your ebay seller is able to fill utilise the Auftsa agreement. That is really the only way you can save 5%.

Also I would not recommend lying on the customs form as this is dishonest.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

Whoops, I pressed submit before I finished, ....lying on the customs forms I understand will affect the insurance on the parcel. Also it may void buyer or seller protection via PayPal or eBay. I'm not 100% sure what the rules are but I wouldn't want to risk it on an item of that value. I'd want to make sure everything was well and truly above board.

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the link to the form.

Cookie96

Rough_Rock

Thank you guys all for your advice, it's been a great help :)

I'm about to pull the trigger and take the safe and honest way of transport , I will defiantly be filling out the form once it gets here as I really can't rely on the seller to fill it out correctly..

Il keep you updated once it arrives and some gorgeous pics :)

Cheers to you all..

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

arkieb1|1407109124|3725545 said:
This is the specific form you fill in after the event;

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/B374_001.pdf

But the one that Victor, the JBEG girls, Brian Gavin and GOG fill in beforehand doesn't look like that. I don't have one sitting around but I will keep looking for you. It has the total value on it and it indicates that the item was made in the US.

I also agree that Customs frequently opens items and if they consider the value higher than what you have declared they calculate the value themselves and then charge you based on that instead of what is declared, so if you get busted under declaring anything you can get charged a higher amount than what you really should have paid anyway.

I just tried to go to this link, I received an error message? Are other people able to find the form?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Arkieb1, if you come across the form that the vendors (GOG, VC etc) use, could you paste the link here too?
It would be really useful to have too. I think I might need one soon to give to a vendor.
Thank you!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They all use their own forms that they have devised themselves. I found one I got from Victor earlier in the year if you email me via my current AVC listing on LT I can take a photo of it for you to give you a rough idea.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Cookie96|1407070699|3725313 said:

Scary but I gotta ask??

Thanks again

Here is the form that I use when I send things to Australia:

Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA)

Statement of United States origin

I Winfield G. Jones Jr of High Performance Diamonds (HPD on the shipping label) hereby state that the nominated goods below, meet the requirements of the legislation of the AUSFTA. I wish to claim the preferential duty rate using the rule type as marked.

___ 1) Section 153YB rule type W.O. -goods wholly obtained- relates to goods mined, grown, bred, fished etc

___ 2) Section 153YC rule type P.O.M. -goods produced entirely in the US from originating materials- relates to goods made in the US from US materials

_X__ 3) Section 153YE rule type P.S. -goods (except clothing and textiles) produced entirely in the US from non-originating materials- relates to goods made in the US from US materials and materials from other countries

___ 4) Section 153YF rule type P.S. –goods that are chemicals, plastics or rubber produced entirely in the US from non-originating materials

___ 5) Section 153YH rule type P.S. –goods that are clothing or textiles produced entirely in the US or the US and Australia from non-originating materials or a combination of originating materials and non-originating materials.

I agree to maintain and present on request, documentation necessary to support this statement.

Shippers name: High Performance Diamonds

Product name/description: Round brilliant cut diamond ring

Name: Winfield G. Jones Jr

Date:

Signature:

As you can see it takes at least one minute of my time to print this out and sign and date it, so it is not really asking much of the sender. I print it on my letter head and include it in the packet of documents attached to the front of the Fedex box.

I got the form originally from Lorelei some years ago and have used it many times.

Now as to your question about having the seller lie for you about the price. It really is not fair to the vendor to ask him to lie for you. You put him at risk for large fines and punitive damages should he be caught and you at risk for having the item seized and having to pay a much larger tax to recover it. Better to pay the tax and enjoy your purchase. I can tell you nightmare stories about customs and the power that they have and the moral to each story is to just pay your taxes.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I should have read to the bottom of the thread. I see that you have received a lot of good advice from arkieb1 and others.

I hope that you will enjoy your new treasure.

Wink

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the form Wink. Much appreciated. Will drop you an email too, thanks Arkieb1.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results