shape
carat
color
clarity

How much cost for resizing?

diamond6

Rough_Rock
On an average how much it costs to resize a ring? Does it change with hoe many sizes resize needs to be done? Also. How is it actually done? Ty

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've paid from in the $40 range to have gold rings sized up or down one full size or less. I was told the price would be higher with larger adjustments upward. I'm looking forward to hearing people's responses on the "how's." My mother once bought a new setting that had to be sized up a bit, and the jeweler did it by just hammering (stretching?) the ring a bit... I found that kind of appalling, but it was a fairly wide band, and when all was said and done, you really couldn't tell the difference.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^^ To up size higher carat gold rings, it is sometimes possible to jam it down the mandrel. I saw it done on high carat gold rings before.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The customary way to size a ring is to cut it apart at the bottom center, the part at the palm of your hand, and either cut out a piece or insert a piece depending on which direction you’re going.

Most sizings are pretty easy and manufacturers have a vested interested in making it so but a few have serious complications. Changing the curvature of the ring can change the way prongs are aligned, the way pave sits and so on. That causes prices to vary a lot from one job to the next. A simple size down can be as low as $25 in some places and certain ‘problem’ jobs can be hundreds. A few are impossible. Most bench jewelers give free estimates so the simplest solution is to simply ask. They’ll tell you if there’s likely to be a problem of some sort and should be happy to give a firm quote on what they will charge and how long it will take.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results