shape
carat
color
clarity

One of the most incredible things I've ever seen

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a 49-second video of a star exploding.
It is a time lapse of many still pics taken by the Hubble telescope
Please view it full-screen and change the resolution to 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1fvMSs9cps#t=17

SNIP
The unusual variable star V838 Monocerotis (V838 Mon) continues to puzzle astronomers. This previously inconspicuous star underwent an outburst early in 2002, during which it temporarily increased in brightness to become 600,000 times more luminous than our Sun. Light from this sudden eruption is illuminating the interstellar dust surrounding the star, producing the most spectacular "light echo" in the history of astronomy.

As light from the eruption propagates outward into the dust, it is scattered by the dust and travels to the Earth. The scattered light has travelled an extra distance in comparison to light that reaches Earth directly from the stellar outburst. Such a light echo is the optical analogue of the sound echo produced when an Alpine yodel is reflected from the surrounding mountainsides.

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has been observing the V838 Mon light echo since 2002. Each new observation of the light echo reveals a new and unique "thin-section" through the interstellar dust around the star. This video morphs images of the light echo from the Hubble taken at multiple times between 2002 and 2006. The numerous whorls and eddies in the interstellar dust are particularly noticeable. Possibly they have been produced by the effects of magnetic fields in the space between the stars.

credit: ESA/Hubble

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny I get only up 720 in the settings not 1080...and that video is only 50 seconds. Did you link to the wrong one?

(but regardless...beautiful!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1402510694|3691061 said:
Kenny I get only up 720 in the settings not 1080...and that video is only 50 seconds. Did you link to the wrong one?

(but regardless...beautiful!)

This screen capture shows I can get up to 1080p.
I wonder why it's different for others. :confused:

But you're right about my mistake on the time.
I'll correct my post.
Thanks.

What really blows my mind is the scale and the speed of the expanding dust cloud.
This is light years away so the width of the cloud is beyond comprehension.
Reportedly the pics were taken from 2002 to 2006, so how could anything expand that much in only 4 years?

screen_shot_2014-06-11_at_11.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results