shape
carat
color
clarity

2019 review for USA Certed Diamonds (Martin Sheffield)

My first late-post!

My girlfriend (now financée) and I were searching for an engagement ring since early 2019 as I was planning to propose to my girlfriend by the end of 2019.

We had no knowledge or experience in diamonds besides listening to our friends who got engaged and our parents who bought diamonds 20 years ago. We did some basic research such as looking at engagement rings from Tiffany, and we shopped around the mall. I was left disappointed because I could never afford a 2-2.5ct diamond from any of these stores. We started to browse on social media and visited boutique jewelry stores in person. However, after visiting a dozen stores, we were left clueless as to who to trust. We concluded that we had to do our own research and become an expert gemologist ourselves.

After doing many months of research, we stumbled across Pricescope and got in touch with Martin Sheffield. He replied to his email promptly and we scheduled a meeting at his basement office. Once we arrived, we did not expect to purchase a diamond at someone’s house. We got used to being served beverages at jewelry shops inside the mall.

However, after speaking with him for several minutes and getting comfortable in his office, we knew this is the real deal. First, his overhead costs were low; he was working by himself in his basement. Second, he has been in the diamond industry for decades. Third, he did not employ any marketing tactics or came off as pushy. Lastly, he was very patient with us as we were very specific and picky with the specs we wanted. Martin was also very informative and transparent. We talked for hours as if we were friends for a long time.

The transaction was very easy afterward as we already know which diamond we want or what specs we wanted if Martin had other alternatives. Martin pulled the diamond from his database, got in touch with the supplier in India and placed the diamond on hold for 3 days. We compared Martin’s quote to a dozen other jewelers in Canada and the United States, but Martin gave us the best price.

I was worried and skeptical about payment and delivery. After all, I am not doing business with a big store like Tiffany. I even drafted a consumer contract for Martin to sign but he did not. He reassured me that nothing will go wrong. Nonetheless, I decided to pull the trigger. I was worried and anxious for the following days since I have been emailing and calling him often, but he did not respond promptly. After a week, he called me and said the diamond arrived and it is gorgeous. He also apologized that he could not respond to all my calls and emails on time because he had an influx of clients.

We inspected the diamond at his office by matching the GIA number on the diamond to the GIA report, and he also prepared a certificate for free. He referred us to Selwyn to set our ring but unfortunately, we did not approach him.

Overall, we were very satisfied with the diamond. It looked a lot bigger for its CT weight and it is on fire under sunlight. Although Martin is old fashioned, we picked him over those fancy jewelry stores because he was straightforward and knowledgeable, and demonstrated his passion for diamonds. Also, his fun personality and old humor was the cherry on top. Not only did I get a beautiful diamond from Martin at an amazing price, but also, I learned a lot about the diamond industry and made a friend. For once, I am not hearing someone tell me how great the diamond is based on the 4 c’s.

I would recommend seeing Martin before you purchase a diamond, and I would visit Martin again for any diamond-related questions.

To Martin: If you are reading this review, I apologize for writing my review half a year late!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @2019DiamondExperience for your post. I have heard nothing but good about Martin Sheffield.
Deets on your stone??? Pictures? Congrats on your engagement!!!

Wondering if anyone from the US has bought from USA Certed Diamonds? He is in Canada, right, or am I incorrect?
Reason being, my son may be looking for a diamond later this year or next year. He's probably going to have a low
budget (I suspect) so want to help him make the most of it.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @2019DiamondExperience for your post. I have heard nothing but good about Martin Sheffield.
Deets on your stone??? Pictures? Congrats on your engagement!!!

Wondering if anyone from the US has bought from USA Certed Diamonds? He is in Canada, right, or am I incorrect?
Reason being, my son may be looking for a diamond later this year or next year. He's probably going to have a low
budget (I suspect) so want to help him make the most of it.

You are correct @tyty333

Martin is from Toronto, Canada and his prices are great because of his low overhead so I definitely recommend his services.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are correct @tyty333

Martin is from Toronto, Canada and his prices are great because of his low overhead so I definitely recommend his services.

Thanks @jp201845 !

I failed to mention that I'm in the US and am wondering if we have to pay special import tax etc. I know, I can always call Martin when my son gets
ready to buy.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @jp201845 !

I failed to mention that I'm in the US and am wondering if we have to pay special import tax etc. I know, I can always call Martin when my son gets
ready to buy.

Actually Martin gets his loose diamonds mainly from the US since Canada is not as big compared to the US in the loose diamond market.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.

I got a round 2.2 ct weight, but honestly, it looked like a 2.4 ct weight because of the big table (compared it with my friend who has a 2.4 ct weight). I saved a lot of money!

Martin's office is technically at Thornhill, ON, and not downtown Toronto. It's about a 30 minute to 1-hour drive from downtown Toronto depending on the traffic.

Martin also told me that 80% of his clients are from the U.S. My diamond was shipped from the U.S.

For further information about payments/taxes, it is best to speak to Martin personally!

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
No need to apologize. I'll accept testimonials anytime. It was a real pleasure taking care of you. Wishing you and your family stay safe. Also, would like all Pricescope members and forum participants to stay safe and cautious with Covid19. The best to everyone and stay safe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results