shape
carat
color
clarity

2.81 M OEC in Victor Canera

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone! I wanted to share a very special ring. About a year and a half ago I discovered PS and I promptly told my husband that I found my people, LOL. I was looking for inspiration to reset my e-ring which was a classic GIA 3X that didn't have great proportions. I decided to have it recut with BGD and it's now a beautiful AGS000 but I couldn't decided how to set it and in a fit of spontaneity spurred by LLJ's trade in, I reached out to Adam of OWD to see an OEC myself as I had been a little obsessed with them. I needed to see if I loved them as much as I thought I would. Well.....I did. Good lord, the old world charm, the big facets, the PERSONALITY, the changing look of the light play, the insane pastels, all of it was out of this world. Again, love at first site! One thing that I realized in spending time with 4 different OEC's is that I really loved a warm OEC. The subtle warmth just seemed to emphasize the above traits that I love and it is incredibly romantic to me. I decided on a gorgeous GIA 2.81 M, VS1 OEC and had it set by Victor Canera. Working with Adam at OWD was incredibly fun and easy. He is super easy going and totally committed to the process. He is also a no pressure kind of guy. And Victor is amazing. He is incredibly patient and just an all around nice person as well as very talented of course :).

I asked Victor to tweak one of his existing settings for this OEC as I wanted it a bit lower set. He suggested single cut melee and to add milgrain. The setting is stunning. I can't believe how beautiful the pave is and the milgrain and the single cuts make the entire look perfect.

As far as the diamond itself, it had me at first site. I loved the M as there is something special about it's character and charm. The color is totally not what I expected an M to look like. Having never seen lower than an I, it just does not look yellow! It goes from bright, bright almost white to to ivory but mixed in are all the amazing colors and flashes. It is just never bores me! However, not being well versed in OEC's I reached out to DS to ask for Gypsy's email since I thought we lived in the same area. DS was more than kind and enthusiastic and Gypsy was too. Lucky me, because I was able to meet in person with Gypsy and we looked at 3 different OEC's together. I secretly already loved the M, but I wanted to hear what she thought 8) . I had 2 K's and the M. As many of you know, Gypsy is a total gem (pun intended!). She loved the M too and so I felt confident moving forward with it. Thank you Gypsy for helping me choose and for lending me your expertise!

This next part is going to confound some of you, some of you will relate, and some of you will just think I'm a nut job. As I asked Gypsy, "Have you ever thought you wanted something really badly and when you finally got it, it was just as beautiful as you thought it would be, even more beautiful, but it turned out it just wasn't you??" That is the case with this gorgeous masterpiece. I've thought long and hard and the truth is that this ring is too delicate for me, the stone is a tad too large for everyday wear (I know blasphemy!) and I know I just won't wear it more than a special occasion piece. I have my MRB and a custom cut AVC that is my dream ring coming soon. I can't justify a 3rd e-ring :-o . My thought was that I'd sell my MRB and have this OEC, but sentiment got to me in addition to my above realizations and I have decided to sell this gorgeous ring. I don't want to dismantle it because it's truly a work of art. Okay enough ramblings.

With that roller coaster of a ride, here are some photos!

img_6830.jpg

img_6832.jpg

img_12636.jpg

img_6845.jpg

img_6851.jpg

img_6937.jpg

img_6960.jpg

img_6963.jpg

img_6964.jpg

img_6968.jpg

img_6969.jpg

img_6974.jpg

img_6978.jpg

img_6981.jpg

img_6983.jpg

img_6988.jpg

img_6994.jpg

img_6998.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all...holy wow!!! Your ring is beyond gorgeous :love: :love:
Secondly...you are NOT a nut job!! This is how we learn about ourselves. Trial and error. How wonderful you are narrowing down what works for you :appl:
Thirdly... I can't wait to see your AVC! Can you let us in on some of the details? What type of setting are you interested in?
Thanks for sharing this stunner with us!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire, thank you for your kind words! I have LOVED your ring sooo much!!

Ah the trial and error. Your understanding comment is what lead me to believe that I found my people on PS, LOL!!

The AVC just got back from AGS and it's a 2.59 carat, K, VS1. I'm coordinating with Steven Kirsch for a very simple solitaire as trial and error has told me that I cannot do pave despite the fact I do love it. ;))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Stunning ring. :love:

cheers--Sharon

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is very beautiful. That must have been a very hard decision for you. Best of luck with the sale. Can't wait to see the AVC!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just read you don't want it. Wow, I'll take it. :love:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring, what a tough decision but you have another beautiful stone coming your way :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely OEC & setting! :love: I adore that basket and how low set it is (so wearable)! But I feel you on the pave, as well as discovering how - as much as we may love things - we don't always love them on ourselves. I love the look of pave, but just cannot wear it myself as I am too worried about damaging it somehow.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand where you are coming from JDDN. You are certainly not the first pser to change her mind ;-) I think that the most important aspect of jewelry is how it makes you feel when you look at it. It sounds like your MRB has a special place in your heart. I'm looking forward to seeing your AVC! Good luck with the sale of your beautiful OEC. :wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - I don't know what to say! The ring is beautiful and I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it but I'm sorry that you went to the trouble and expense of making such a ring that doesn't make your heart sing. However, every one on this board can certainly understand your feelings. Some things work and some things just don't. Hugs to you and best of luck for a quick sale!

Did you lose a lot of weight in recutting your MRB? I hope that since it was a GIA XXX that the weight loss wasn't too bad. We would love to see pictures of it too and will anxiously wait to see your new ring! You've had quite a journey but as others have said, it is a learning process. Here's hoping that at the end of the day you will be in love with your two rings!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Canoli!

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, what a read and what a RING (and also what a bright green acorn)!! JDDN, I so feel for you! Though the decision to let it go couldn't have been easy, how wonderful that the process of creating it was such an enriching one. Whoever owns this stunning piece next will be so very lucky!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canuk-gal - Thank you!!

Poshmommy - Thank you and it definitely was a hard decision, but it feels like the right one. I can't wait to see the AVC too :lol: . And I can't wait to see your custom OEC from VC!!

Ellen - You can have it for a small fee, LOL!!!

Bright Ice - Thank you so much!! I can't wait to get my AVC!!

JoCoJenn - Thank you for the compliments :)) . I love, love, love the pave that Victor did on this ring. It's like nothing I've seen but I know it won't stand up to my crazy ways.

iluvcarats - Thank you so much for you reassuring words and for understanding! After all this time, my MRB means too much to me to sell it. It's a nice "wearable" size of 1.6 carats, so I think it's going to be perfect ::) .

MGR - Thank you so much for your comments! The funny thing is that I thoroughly enjoyed the process of choosing an OEC and a setting by VC. It was great fun and I learned so much about OEC's and about myself really. I really appreciate the quick sale wishes and the hugs ::) . My MRB went from a 1.76 carat (7.76mm) to a 1.61 carat (7.56mm). A bit smaller but it is SO much more beautiful to me and well worth it in my opinion. I'll post photos of my MRB as I'm working on getting it set! And of course the AVC too!

ROL - LOL, thanks I think!

Luckyblackcat - LOL at the green acorn!! I didn't have any fresh flowers, so the acorn substituted for a little pizzaz. Thank you for your kinds words.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
My reply was in admiration of your ring ! It is beautiful!

honn

Rough_Rock
Hello! I was amazed to find my ring's twin! Our rings are almost identical. About half a year ago, my ring was designed by Victor and also the stone came from him, it's a 3.598 carat M color OEC. I also adore M colour. It reflects a very interesting array of lights and yes M is moody, depicts different shade and tint under different light, it doesn't bore me. I love Old European cut, to me the design is based on a refined simplicity but in the most classy style. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I do, or even more!
:angel:

_5688.jpeg

_5689.jpeg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This ring is so incredibly beautiful! :love:
... but I really understand what youre going through, I have been in your situation too. I wish you good luck on a quick sale! :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is amazing!!! I don't know what to look at first, the stone or the setting, both are :love: :love: :love: I hope that it goes to a great home and you find something you love as much if not more as well!!!

honn

Rough_Rock
oh my, i didn't read your post carefully until the end! i am sorry, so you have decided to let go this ring? In my opinion, it is not delicate at all, i've been wearing it all the time and occasionally clinking it against another metal, but so far no damage (touch wood). my stone is even bigger than yours, its 3.6. yes its true it gets stuck here and there, but the joy i get from wearing this ring is bigger than the worries. i am sorry it didn't work with you. it is truly an impressive ring! i hope you get your true ring :appl:

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your ring SO beautiful JDDN. Congratulations on having her. :love:
But I so totally understand where you are coming from... 5 years and about 5 stones later, I am still in process of figuring out what I want. Somehow the diamond cuts I love just don't seem to be me, and look odd on my finger...

All the best. Can't wait to see your new bling! :appl:
(Do let us know where/how you may be selling your ring! I would like to know more! :) )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Beautiful. :love: :love: :love:
Good luck and I hope you find the ring that makes your heart sing and is just perfect for you. :appl:

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear that you had to let this beautiful ring go :(

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your ring is stunning. :love: That being said, I understand what you are going through... However, there is no way to know how you'll feel without trial and error, at least for me.

What size is the ring?

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely incredible! What a masterpiece! :love: :love:

I do not think that you are crazy. You loved it and enjoyed it and them came to the realization that it does not work for you long term. No harm, no foul. It will be perfect for someone else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous diamond and fabulous setting by Victor! :love: :love: :love:

That said, welcome to the club! We PSers have great taste, love outstanding diamonds and settings, but the reality of life is that some of us just can't pull off a large diamond on a daily basis!!! Thank you for being honest, because many of us have been in the same shoes! Mine is not nearly as big at 2.3 cts, but sometimes it even seems too big to me! I had worn a 1.6 ct, also for about 7 years before the AVR, so it was an adjustment to jump from 7.5 to 8.4mm. I am trying to stick to it, though, because I am afraid I'd miss it if I sold it! And it's really not all that huge in the overall scheme of things. You'll figure out the best combo for you over time!

Can't wait for the AVC ring to be ready!!! :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your kinds words and encouragement!

ROL - 8) Thank you for the compliments!!

honn - Your setting was the inspiration for my ring (as you can imagine, lol)!! My ring is most definitely your ring's little sister!!!! I love the swoopy scallops and the prongs :love: . I wanted this ring set a bit lower so Victor eliminated the au jour in the middle and brought up the donut to meet the scallops and I think it turned out beautifully. One thing I have noticed is that the milgrain makes the ring feel much more delicate than without it. That may just be my perception of course :) . I'm so glad you are loving and enjoying your gorgeous ring. It's truly a work of art and your OEC is stunning.

aca - Thank you so much for your comments!!

Arkieb1 - Thank you so much for your words! As much as I admire and love certain style rings, I have discovered they just won't work for me. If we hit the jackpot then maybe I can get a really fussy pave ring and wear it twice per year :naughty: . But I won't feel okay unless I can really wear the piece, lol.

Ringcat - Thank you for understanding!!! My people here on PS "get me" LOL and thank goodness for that!! I just listed it on Loupetroop and I'll put a posting on the Preloved forum as well.

Missy - Thank you for the compliments and well wishes!!!

CravingDiamonds - I'm sorry too, but it feels like a good decision for me.

mco312 - Yes, unfortunately trial and error seems to be the way we figure these things out!! Wish I had that crystal ball! Yes, I forgot to mention the ring size. It's a 5 and 3/8.

Crystal24K - Thank you and thank you for saying I'm not crazy because I definitely have felt a little crazy!! When I said I thought long and hard, I maybe should've just said I thought hard. I've only had the ring for about 3 weeks!!!

DS - Thank you so much for your advice and your reassurance :)) . And you hit the nail on the head in terms of having a penchant for big beautiful diamonds and not being able to pull it off, LOL. I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have "figured it out the hard way!" I would hold on to your AVR like there's no tomorrow, but if anyone understands the need for balance in these pretties, it's me! I can't wait for the AVC either!!!!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
JDDN that's a dreamy ring and the eventual new owner is going to be so grateful that you put in all that time and effort to have her set so beautifully! I think one of the charming things about diamonds is that really, we're just their custodians, eventually they move on for someone else to love and appreciate them. I can't wait to see your avc!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! That's not where I imagined you were going with your post. I totally understand changing your mind, though.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring. I hope your AVC is all you want it to be and look forward to seeing it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN, I'm so sorry it wasn't what you had envisioned. It's a beautiful stone and setting. I hope it sells quickly and you can move on. Looking forward to seeing the AVC!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
JDDN: she is a STUNNER and honestly if I hadn't already pulled the trigger on my own project your ring would have seriously tempted me. Good luck with a quick sale! Anyone will be LUCKY to have this baby.

Q: why do you find the size too big? Is it because you find that the diamond gets in the way or is it just too flashy and you find it looks 'off'? I am slightly worried about my 2.44 MQ that will be soon on my finger. Great problem to have though :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results