shape
carat
color
clarity

2.69 Asscher Lab Diamond Halo

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to try one of the Asscher lab diamond’s from Tianyu. I put a deposit down during one of their sales last August and I was hoping to get somewhere in the 8.5-9mm face up size. They cut 3 separate stones over 6+ month’s but they were either smaller then I wanted or lower in color. I was looking for a G VS2. After waiting for so long, I decided to go with the largest one and hope that the H color was white enough (2.69 H VS1). After receiving the stone I wasn’t that happy with it honestly. It did sparkle nicely but the window was more obvious in person and so was the tint. This was not disclosed on the IGI report. The video they sent me made it look almost colorless but there is definitely some brown tint. I added a cup underneath the platinum setting to help close the window but the tint is hard to fix. Since I write about lab gems a lot for our Reddit groups, I have a tendency to jump in and try things. I have certainly been the guinea pig on a lot of stones and new companies. I do this knowing over time if I don’t like something, I can always change it down the road. This is not my e-ring but just another ring. I have already verified with Sam that it would be possible to change the stone if I wanted to down the road.

For the setting, I wanted to do something close to my avatar again because I just love the glam look of the setting. I went with the same general shape but changed up some of the details. I have tried several vendor’s over the years but I always go back to Sam at deBebian’s because he has an eye for details and just know’s my style. I also like to try a few experimental details on my setting‘s and wanted to incorporate a flower when it was face down. I also wanted to add as many brilliant cut’s to increase the sparkle factor on this setting.

We went with 1.6 mm round halo stone’s with baguette corner’s. Underneath, we did a marquise flower with VS G with 2 @.12 and 4 @ .10. I decided to add a little extra miligrain and engraving so I could save the band from the scratches that will inevitably come from some of my platinum bands. I added some light engraving on the fascia and an almost flush diamond cuff. The symbol with the rubies at the bottom is for my daughter’s birthstone. I should get this some time next week.
72E91806-27DC-44FA-8ACE-199664BB7F1A.jpeg 41526658-CBC2-4E7B-B3C7-36D51302D44C.jpeg 820EF8B6-A897-4928-918C-0A034662E436.jpeg 65BC9336-A303-4CBD-9384-13A560D8094A.jpeg 14EA9D83-7533-499C-AE77-D80D354AF961.jpeg 1C67914A-372B-40E1-8472-EC6F91F91C66.jpeg

7AEF851A-2246-4E38-88F9-CDC9E9BD0518.jpeg 8EA306E5-401D-4BFA-AFD3-AA2D313852CB.jpeg

E18DAE13-9165-4715-B1C5-BB64071BF792.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A125488-8F2B-43BF-89A2-E9CC9F6D63A0.jpeg
    0A125488-8F2B-43BF-89A2-E9CC9F6D63A0.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 58ACCBEF-D64D-4092-BA4D-B65DF5D7F741.jpeg
    58ACCBEF-D64D-4092-BA4D-B65DF5D7F741.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s really beautiful. I love the Ruby detail!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It’s really beautiful. I love the Ruby detail!

Thanks. If you notice, I added the miligrain detail to the inner collet. It was kind of funny because the pave guy must have been working on both of our rings at the same time. He didn’t originally put the miligrain on mine either and so I asked him to add it. You posted your thread the next day and I was thinking maybe I should have left it off? It might blend in a bit more because of everything being one color. I only added it because it was on my aqua and I liked the look. It was the right call to leave it off your’s though.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. If you notice, I added the miligrain detail to the inner collet. It was kind of funny because the pave guy must have been working on both of our rings at the same time. He didn’t originally put the miligrain on mine either and so I asked him to add it. You posted your thread the next day and I was thinking maybe I should have left it off? It might blend in a bit more because of everything being one color. I only added it because it was on my aqua and I liked the look. It was the right call to leave it off your’s though.

Did Sam try to talk out of it like he did with me? I think it looks great. I think mine would have looked good with milgrain too (@Rfisher did a mock-up to show what it would look like idk if you saw it bc that thread super long) but I figured I’d see what it look like without since that’s what he recommended and send it back if need be. Also, on my ring, he used something called 14k super white which I’ve never heard of before. Did he use this maybe w your new ring? The Aqua has almost an antique patina look which makes it less of a blended look that you mentioned. It’s a stunning ring though.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Did Sam try to talk out of it like he did with me? I think it looks great. I think mine would have looked good with milgrain too (@Rfisher did a mock-up to show what it would look like idk if you saw it bc that thread super long) but I figured I’d see what it look like without since that’s what he recommended and send it back if need be. Also, on my ring, he used something called 14k super white which I’ve never heard of before. Did he use this maybe w your new ring? The Aqua has almost an antique patina look which makes it less of a blended look that you mentioned. It’s a stunning ring though.

it is more common to leave it w/o the miligrain if it is a two toned halo. He can only make recommendation’s based on what he thinks is best. It is ultimately up to you and what you want. If you would like to add it, just send it back to him and he will add it. It is always easier to ‘add’ then ‘take away’ as they say.

I always go with platinum because I like the weight and the patina. The super white is just a brand name for palladium white gold. It means you never have to rhodium plate the ring to keep it white, which is a huge upkeep with white gold. I had one before and it does make the metal very hard and scratch resistant. Most custom jeweler’s offer it, they just call it something different.

Did you get your other ring from David yet?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
it is more common to leave it w/o the miligrain if it is a two toned halo. He can only make recommendation’s based on what he thinks is best. It is ultimately up to you and what you want. If you would like to add it, just send it back to him and he will add it. It is always easier to ‘add’ then ‘take away’ as they say.

I always go with platinum because I like the weight and the patina. The super white is just a brand name for palladium white gold. It means you never have to rhodium plate the ring to keep it white, which is a huge upkeep with white gold. I had one before and it does make the metal very hard and scratch resistant. Most custom jeweler’s offer it, they just call it something different.

Did you get your other ring from David yet?

Right I know I could send it back but I’m actually loving the shiny bezel. And yes I got the ring from DK and am loving that too! Here’s the link to the thread:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Love the marquise flower.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is exquisite. I'm looking forward to when you receive it in person.

I didn't know what the "super white" was, but I did know I LOVE it. No scratches and no rhodium upkeep. The band is substantial and I have no worries about wear.

No milgrain for me, but of course, Sam would do whatever I wanted :). For me, it has been so enjoyable to have his expertise planning my new ring :). His patience and detailed explanations he gives me are SO appreciated.

I'm sorry you went through so much trouble with that lab asscher. It is very helpful to read your experience. I do like lab diamonds, and I'm likely to buy one after my tanzanite ring is finished and paid for.

I'm going to learn from your experience. Since I have a diamond supply store with a "trade up" policy where I live, it's a "no brainer" for me to go there when I'm ready to buy a larger diamond. I've had earrings, necklaces, and now two rings made by Debebians, so it's also a "no brainer" for me, to give him a call to create yet another new ring :).

I know you're going to love this ring. I've said it before -- prepare for a lot of hand grabs!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is exquisite. I'm looking forward to when you receive it in person.

I didn't know what the "super white" was, but I did know I LOVE it. No scratches and no rhodium upkeep. The band is substantial and I have no worries about wear.

No milgrain for me, but of course, Sam would do whatever I wanted :). For me, it has been so enjoyable to have his expertise planning my new ring :). His patience and detailed explanations he gives me are SO appreciated.

I'm sorry you went through so much trouble with that lab asscher. It is very helpful to read your experience. I do like lab diamonds, and I'm likely to buy one after my tanzanite ring is finished and paid for.

I'm going to learn from your experience. Since I have a diamond supply store with a "trade up" policy where I live, it's a "no brainer" for me to go there when I'm ready to buy a larger diamond. I've had earrings, necklaces, and now two rings made by Debebians, so it's also a "no brainer" for me, to give him a call to create yet another new ring :).

I know you're going to love this ring. I've said it before -- prepare for a lot of hand grabs!

@lindam1503 I don’t see any threads of your beauties and would love to since you are also part of the DeBebians club! :)

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
@lindam1503 I don’t see any threads of your beauties and would love to since you are also part of the DeBebians club! :)

That made me smile :). I only have one ring, and it's the lab blue sapphire you see in my avatar. I have another ring "in the works now", so stay tuned (lol).

My other pieces are mined diamond studs that now have double halos :). I'd had the diamond stud earrings for years and had stopped wearing them since I bought larger solitaires. I sent the "small" studs to Sam & Maggie and poof! I now have too die for double halo studs.

I've had two necklaces made. Both are bezel set diamonds, (think diamonds by the yard). One is 16" 14K WG with nine 25 point lab diamonds. The other is 32 inches long, and Sam took 18 small diamonds from a ring mounting I had and created a "scatter" necklace that I wear ALL the time.

Sorry I don't have pics, but the workmanship is impeccable. It's kind of like having Tiffany & Co. pieces without the T & Co. price tag.

Where I live, the jewelers with years of expertise have long ago retired and closed shops :(. I'm a bit older, so shipping jewelry and having it remade was completely new to me.

I DO have to pace my spending, but starting in 2019, I've been able to take jewelry pieces I owned and never wore and have them re-created into THE best pieces I own.

I'm sure there are many really good jewelers out there. I've just had fabulous experience with Sam & Maggie. If I want something REALLY nice, I have them make it.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omg this is incredible! Love it so much !

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Right I know I could send it back but I’m actually loving the shiny bezel. And yes I got the ring from DK and am loving that too! Here’s the link to the thread:

That made me smile :). I only have one ring, and it's the lab blue sapphire you see in my avatar. I have another ring "in the works now", so stay tuned (lol).

My other pieces are mined diamond studs that now have double halos :). I'd had the diamond stud earrings for years and had stopped wearing them since I bought larger solitaires. I sent the "small" studs to Sam & Maggie and poof! I now have too die for double halo studs.

I've had two necklaces made. Both are bezel set diamonds, (think diamonds by the yard). One is 16" 14K WG with nine 25 point lab diamonds. The other is 32 inches long, and Sam took 18 small diamonds from a ring mounting I had and created a "scatter" necklace that I wear ALL the time.

Sorry I don't have pics, but the workmanship is impeccable. It's kind of like having Tiffany & Co. pieces without the T & Co. price tag.

Where I live, the jewelers with years of expertise have long ago retired and closed shops :(. I'm a bit older, so shipping jewelry and having it remade was completely new to me.

I DO have to pace my spending, but starting in 2019, I've been able to take jewelry pieces I owned and never wore and have them re-created into THE best pieces I own.

I'm sure there are many really good jewelers out there. I've just had fabulous experience with Sam & Maggie. If I want something REALLY nice, I have them make it.

I saved a pic of your sapphire!

Attachments

• 1F1D0142-805A-4B53-8F59-0E827E98A8DB.jpeg
    1F1D0142-805A-4B53-8F59-0E827E98A8DB.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 24

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I saved a pic of your sapphire!

Thank you! Yes, I thought I made a post in 2019 mentioning StagandFinch and Debebians, but maybe I didn't? StagandFinch (Bryan & Melanie) combined with Debebians (Sam & Maggie) were a VERY good combination for me (lol).

As for my Debebian's pieces, the bezel set necklaces DO deserve attention here. My 16" is lab diamonds; my 32" is mined diamonds. For me, the workmanship on the bezels IS the star. I've been to Tiff & Co and looked at their necklaces. Mine have the same impeccable quality craftsmanship. I cannot find that locally.

I will make a separate post when my tanzanite diamond ring is finished.

Using vendors that aren't local was a BIG leap of faith for me. SO happy I made the "jump", but I do have to pace myself. The two vendors I've used and trust 100% (or more) are Debebians and Jonathan (now Distinctive Gems).

Both of them treat this "small" customer like a queen :). REALLY nice to have wonderful pieces, but the icing on the cake is to be treated like a valued customer, even when my purchases are not the Hope Diamond. (Shout out to Jonathan too--still LOVING my AV moissanite!)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Yes, I thought I made a post in 2019 mentioning StagandFinch and Debebians, but maybe I didn't? StagandFinch (Bryan & Melanie) combined with Debebians (Sam & Maggie) were a VERY good combination for me (lol).

As for my Debebian's pieces, the bezel set necklaces DO deserve attention here. My 16" is lab diamonds; my 32" is mined diamonds. For me, the workmanship on the bezels IS the star. I've been to Tiff & Co and looked at their necklaces. Mine have the same impeccable quality craftsmanship. I cannot find that locally.

I will make a separate post when my tanzanite diamond ring is finished.

Using vendors that aren't local was a BIG leap of faith for me. SO happy I made the "jump", but I do have to pace myself. The two vendors I've used and trust 100% (or more) are Debebians and Jonathan (now Distinctive Gems).

Both of them treat this "small" customer like a queen :). REALLY nice to have wonderful pieces, but the icing on the cake is to be treated like a valued customer, even when my purchases are not the Hope Diamond. (Shout out to Jonathan too--still LOVING my AV moissanite!)

I thought it was in the lab gemstone mega thread on FFF jewelry somewhere? All the updates seem to have made some of the old posts disappear.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous! Please share more pics!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Love love love all the details on this setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results