shape
carat
color
clarity

2.5ct G SI1 - Opinions Sought

Lahey

Rough_Rock
Do the photos of the diamond in the link below seem strange to anyone (in either a positive or negative way)? I'm new to this forum, but I've spent hours looking through it, and I don't recall seeing any stones with this kind of snowflake-like patterning (the arrows of this diamond look like they have hands on them). I'm seriously considering this stone, so any thoughts you could provide would be very helpful!

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Loose-Round-Diamond-2-5-Carat-G-Color-SI1-Clarity-111266/Pics/I27500/orig.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the specs on the stone?

Lahey

Rough_Rock
GIA graded as follows:

Carat: 2.50
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symetry: Excellent
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.8%
Crown Angle: 34%
Pavillion Angle: 41%
Girdle: Medium - Slightly Thick
Dimensions: 8.69mm x 8.73mm x 5.39mm

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would you happen to have the LGF%? They look very long to me, which might account for some of it. It's an interesting look! I actually quite like it. :mrgreen:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thbmok|1319674560|3048330 said:
The IS and ASET images look fine, so I think it's just the photography setup. Most likely taken with a big black camera at really close range.

Er ... just feeling protective of the OP a little - maybe it would be better to edit to post the IS and ASET without the direct link? It always sucks to lose a stone to a lurker.

Lahey

Rough_Rock
Circe|1319675154|3048337 said:
The IS and ASET images look fine, so I think it's just the photography setup. Most likely taken with a big black camera at really close range.

Er ... just feeling protective of the OP a little - maybe it would be better to edit to post the IS and ASET without the direct link? It always sucks to lose a stone to a lurker.

it's no problem, but thanks for your concern! what is the LGF%? all the info I have on this stone is contained within that provided weblink.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lahey|1319675896|3048346 said:
Circe|1319675154|3048337 said:

it's no problem, but thanks for your concern! what is the LGF%? all the info I have on this stone is contained within that provided weblink.

Heh, then I retract the mother-henning. :rodent:

LGF% is lower girdle facet percentage - those long facets that make up the body of the arrows. They seem particularly long and thin on this stone, which will probably lend itself to a very splintery look with a lot of sparkle.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
:confused: The link was already posted by the OP in an earlier thread ...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The angles look fine - should be a nice stone. I'm guessing it's just the photography that's wonky.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thbmok|1319676656|3048354 said:
:confused: The link was already posted by the OP in an earlier thread ...

Didn't know - my bad! I guess I'm having a worrywart night (for which I do apologize). Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing in his favor is that there aren't tons of lurkers looking for 2.5 ct. stones! :bigsmile:

I think the numbers look good but those pictures aren't doing the stone any favors. They need to improve their photography!

Lahey

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319679833|3048389 said:
The thing in his favor is that there aren't tons of lurkers looking for 2.5 ct. stones! :bigsmile:

I think the numbers look good but those pictures aren't doing the stone any favors. They need to improve their photography!

agreed - I asked them what it was that I was seeing and they said they were rushed to get some photos done, so it wasn't set up well. that said, I wired them the money, so they are sending me the loose stone to look at. I'm taking it to a local appraiser, but any recommendations on what I should look for or what lighting conditions I should try to make sure I see the stone in? I obviously want to examine it in a variety of conditions, but anything in particular? they're also including a 10x loupe and a mock wire setting, so I'll try my best to get a good look at it.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not trying to steer you away from the stone you have picked out but did you see the Brian Gavin diamond super ideal cut 2.656 H SI2 that is for sale by a PSer? BGD also have a upgrade policy although I'm not sure they'll transfer it-or that you'd even need it with a stone that large. It will save you a HUGE chunk of change too-5k and she said reasonable offers are considered and you get a better color and size then the excel stone. AGS certified and everything :)

Here is her post
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-656ct-h-si2-bgd-signature-h-a-diamond-pendant-t166074.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-656ct-h-si2-bgd-signature-h-a-diamond-pendant-t166074.html[/URL]

You could have it sent to a designer of your choice to have a custom setting made too.

Just a thought ::)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The arrowheads are showing what we call 'paddles' (the dark spots by the arrowheads). That's because the camera or body shadow of the person taking the picture is obstructing the stone.

Lahey

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1319747769|3048918 said:
Not trying to steer you away from the stone you have picked out but did you see the Brian Gavin diamond super ideal cut 2.656 H SI2 that is for sale by a PSer? BGD also have a upgrade policy although I'm not sure they'll transfer it-or that you'd even need it with a stone that large. It will save you a HUGE chunk of change too-5k and she said reasonable offers are considered and you get a better color and size then the excel stone. AGS certified and everything :)

Here is her post
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-656ct-h-si2-bgd-signature-h-a-diamond-pendant-t166074.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/2-656ct-h-si2-bgd-signature-h-a-diamond-pendant-t166074.html[/URL]

You could have it sent to a designer of your choice to have a custom setting made too.

Just a thought ::)

thanks - that's really a beautiful stone. I'll give it some thought, but the color and clarity are each down a grade from the Excel stone. I wouldn't mind downgrading the color to an H since that's really my target color, but I'm worried about the downgrade in clarity since I'd really like to be at a VS2 (the SI1 from Excel is already a grade down from where I want to be, and that is giving me some pause with this stone, notwithstanding that I'm told it's completely eye-clean - but that's by their standards, and they have an inherently conflicted interest). I'm concerned that my girlfriend's friends would look this stone over with a careful eye because it would be noticeably larger than the stones that girls my age receive, so I don't want them to look through the side for inclusions and then think "that explains it - it's got coal in it." I'm probably being ridiculous, but I don't want to spend this kind of money and not have it be eye-clean to my standards. so, I'm hoping that the Excel diamond that is heading my way will be eye-clean to my standards.

it looks like a monstrous beauty though. thanks for the suggestion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results