shape
carat
color
clarity

2.25 carat ACA setting: Ritani 1RZ7265 or Vatche U113

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
With the help of this wonderful community I settled on a 2.25 carat ACA.

Now I'm deciding on the setting between the Ritani 1RZ7265 or the Vatche U113 both in Platinum.

My wife likes the Tiffany setting, but her finger size is F 1/2 (3.25) so the more angular and sightly slimmer Ritani may suit her better.

She also likes a high set diamond.

Without ever seeing them in real life (I'm in Australia) can anyone provide some guidance?

Also why Vatche is more than twice the cost? Are they both Platinum 950-Ruthenium?

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I tried the Ritani and Vatche U113. I have a size 3.5-3.75 finger (but my fingers are short), ACA 2.24 carat stone so perhaps I can help.

My stone was originally set in the classic 6 prong WF setting, and the Ritani was very similar to it (actually, I think the Ritani band was even skinnier/more knife-like with a basket that seemed to hold the diamond higher). Relative to the stone, the band looked too thin in the face-up view. However, some may prefer that look as it makes the stone look even larger.

In the end, I preferred a traditional half-round band for my wedding band and chose my engagement ring setting based on that. The Vatche U113 basket had more "swoopiness" that complemented my half-round band.

The Ritani/classic 6-prong looked more "architectural," but I liked how you can see the diamond all the way down to the culet.

I think both are excellent settings! If she likes the classic Tiffany setting, I'd lean towards the Vatche U113 as the U113 and Ritani have different aesthetics.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven’t seen either in person, but I would choose the Vatche based on so many pics others have posted who have it. The Ritani sits the diamond up too high, but that is personal preference as well as a functional consideration. The higher up it sits, the more I’d bonk it on stuff.

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
I tried the Ritani and Vatche U113. I have a size 3.5-3.75 finger (but my fingers are short), ACA 2.24 carat stone so perhaps I can help.

My stone was originally set in the classic 6 prong WF setting, and the Ritani was very similar to it (actually, I think the Ritani band was even skinnier/more knife-like with a basket that seemed to hold the diamond higher). Relative to the stone, the band looked too thin in the face-up view. However, some may prefer that look as it makes the stone look even larger.

In the end, I preferred a traditional half-round band for my wedding band and chose my engagement ring setting based on that. The Vatche U113 basket had more "swoopiness" that complemented my half-round band.

The Ritani/classic 6-prong looked more "architectural," but I liked how you can see the diamond all the way down to the culet.

I think both are excellent settings! If she likes the classic Tiffany setting, I'd lean towards the Vatche U113 as the U113 and Ritani have different aesthetics.

Thanks so much!

She likes Tiffany's but isn't in love with it in that it's not a requirement.

It'll be a sit alone ring, not paired with a wedding band as she'll keep her original engagement ring.

Yeah the architectural look is what draws us and the fact you see so much of the diamond. It's reassuring that you say both are excellent.

Your note that it looks a bit narrow is something I'll have to think on further. The width is the same at the top and slightly more narrow the rest of the way around as the Vatche but the sharper knife edge makes it look narrower.

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
Haven’t seen either in person, but I would choose the Vatche based on so many pics others have posted who have it. The Ritani sits the diamond up too high, but that is personal preference as well as a functional consideration. The higher up it sits, the more I’d bonk it on stuff.

If my wife likes it set high, then seems I should go Ritani?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a much more elegant setting. The other setting is a basic stock model and kinda boring.

I dunno ... I was just looking at the videos ... I like the Ritani quite a bit if it is for someone that likes a higher set diamond. I like the edginess of the prongs ... two quite different looks, for sure.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If my wife likes it set high, then seems I should go Ritani?

Has she worn a stone the size of this diamond in a solitaire before?

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
@Vascariz I think you can ask WF to request that the diamond is set low, med, or high with the Vatche setting. Typically I think the diamond is set at medium.

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
@Vascariz I think you can ask WF to request that the diamond is set low, med, or high with the Vatche setting. Typically I think the diamond is set at medium.

Thanks, but Vache is 2.5 times the price... Should I try to get the Vache similar to Ritani or just get the Ritani?

I'm just not sure why there's a price discrepancy? Is it due to brand, weight, quality of craftsmanship?

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
Has she worn a stone the size of this diamond in a solitaire before?

She's tried the Tiffany one in store with a 2 carat and recall she wouldn't have minded it higher to showcase the diamond.

But she's never owned one.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's tried the Tiffany one in store with a 2 carat and recall she wouldn't have minded it higher to showcase the diamond.

But she's never owned one.
Can you show her both and let her decide? It’s largely a personal preference thing. If she likes it up high and doesn’t mind possibly bonking it a little more often as a result - and it’s insured - get her the Ritani.

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
Can you show her both and let her decide? It’s largely a personal preference thing. If she likes it up high and doesn’t mind possibly bonking it a little more often as a result - and it’s insured - get her the Ritani.

Ended up doing that and it was still hard.

Looked up more photos on Pricescope of 2 carat diamonds with Vatche and she liked those so leaning towards Vatche with high set.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I have always wondered why the Vatche U-113 is so expensive. Don’t get me wrong, it is absolutely gorgeous and one of my favourite solitaires settings (despite me saying that I like the Ritani earlier), but it is plain metal and a classic, elegant, simple design. Ritani is a designer name ... I can’t see the quality being much different ... this is something that I’d be asking PSrs too ... if they have experience with the Ritani qualify (I can’t comment on that, or Vatche quality, first-hand).

I was looking through the glam pictures of various diamonds set in both ... they are definitely different looks, but there’s something about the flat knife-edge kind of thing vertical straight prongs as they approach the shank in the Ritani that really appeals to me, as well as the open diamond cutlet. Someone had a 5 carat set in it, lol. Anyway, I think it is elegant in it’s own way. The Vatche has a slight squat look to it in comparison (I just said that to defend the Ritani setting, lol).

It does seem that more people prefer the Vatche but most people prefer their diamonds set lower, to reduce the risk of smashing the ring (I have not done a poll and this is an assumption). Even though I am mystified by the cost, I would gladly pay whatever for the setting that I really want (I’m glad I didn’t say that before I bought my setting and now will have to be careful if I ever look for a new one, lol). It’s really worth getting the ring done right, and getting it right from the start, imo. As @southernicetea mentioned, you can have the diamond set high.

I’m not sure which one I like better but lean toward lower settings, so would probably go with the Vatche choice. If I liked higher settings, I would definitely consider the Ritani choice.

Haha, so ... my opinion is that if you like the Ritani better to go for it with confidence - it’s beautiful - but please don’t pick it for budget reasons. If you like the Vatche better, it is well worth the 2.5 times the cost. I vote for getting the setting you love best without considering the budget (eeek!) ... if you decide to get a different setting later it will cost you more over the long term ....

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
I have always wondered why the Vatche U-113 is so expensive. Don’t get me wrong, it is absolutely gorgeous and one of my favourite solitaires settings (despite me saying that I like the Ritani earlier), but it is plain metal and a classic, elegant, simple design. Ritani is a designer name ... I can’t see the quality being much different ... this is something that I’d be asking PSrs too ... if they have experience with the Ritani qualify (I can’t comment on that, or Vatche quality, first-hand).

I was looking through the glam pictures of various diamonds set in both ... they are definitely different looks, but there’s something about the flat knife-edge kind of thing vertical straight prongs as they approach the shank in the Ritani that really appeals to me, as well as the open diamond cutlet. Someone had a 5 carat set in it, lol. Anyway, I think it is elegant in it’s own way. The Vatche has a slight squat look to it in comparison (I just said that to defend the Ritani setting, lol).

It does seem that more people prefer the Vatche but most people prefer their diamonds set lower, to reduce the risk of smashing the ring (I have not done a poll and this is an assumption). Even though I am mystified by the cost, I would gladly pay whatever for the setting that I really want (I’m glad I didn’t say that before I bought my setting and now will have to be careful if I ever look for a new one, lol). It’s really worth getting the ring done right, and getting it right from the start, imo. As @southernicetea mentioned, you can have the diamond set high.

I’m not sure which one I like better but lean toward lower settings, so would probably go with the Vatche choice. If I liked higher settings, I would definitely consider the Ritani choice.

Haha, so ... my opinion is that if you like the Ritani better to go for it with confidence - it’s beautiful - but please don’t pick it for budget reasons. If you like the Vatche better, it is well worth the 2.5 times the cost. I vote for getting the setting you love best without considering the budget (eeek!) ... if you decide to get a different setting later it will cost you more over the long term ....

How do you find photos for the Ritani? Haven't had much finding photos for that setting. Found lots for Vatche.

I'm also surprised by the cost of Vatche.

It seems Vatche is Platinum 950 Ruthenium 50 vs Ritani Platinum 950 Cobalt 50.

Also, Vatche looks like it has a bit more detail in the claws.

Price isn't a factor in the decision, just felt if I was missing something as they were priced so differently.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
How do you find photos for the Ritani? Haven't had much finding photos for that setting. Found lots for Vatche.

I'm also surprised by the cost of Vatche.

It seems Vatche is Platinum 950 Ruthenium 50 vs Ritani Platinum 950 Cobalt 50.

Also, Vatche looks like it has a bit more detail in the claws.

Price isn't a factor in the decision, just felt if I was missing something as they were priced so differently.

I clicked on your link to the Ritani and scrolled down to “Recently Purchased” ... there you can see a ton of WF glam shots of the Ritani setting with various customer diamonds of different sizes and colours and clarity. :love:

ETA: 5.102 carat ACA J VS2 set in the Ritani ... does a PSer own this diamond???
28FCB42C-06AB-465F-BC23-54FDC538D6BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Vascariz

Rough_Rock
I clicked on your link to the Ritani and scrolled down to “Recently Purchased” ... there you can see a ton of WF glam shots of the Ritani setting with various customer diamonds of different sizes and colours and clarity. :love:

ETA: 5.102 carat ACA J VS2 set in the Ritani ... does a PSer own this diamond???
28FCB42C-06AB-465F-BC23-54FDC538D6BB.jpeg

Thanks so much! Hmm we are leaning towards the Vatche after seeing all the photos. Might get a Ritani down the line!

Gosh that 5 carat is amazing! It's HUGE!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results