shape
carat
color
clarity

2.06 carat on a 5mm e-ring band - Please let me know

sspp08

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

Finally I decided on my stone and wondering if a 2.06 carat diamond will look big enough on a 5mm wide band ? I personally don't like the band but my husband loves the width of the band and I want to honor his suggestion. I had a 1.31 carat diamond before and the whole reason to upgrade is a bigger diamond size. What do you all think about the band width?

Below is the band from Blue nile I am considering

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a go at mocking it up on diamdb and there's some overhang of diamond but the band does swallow it up somewhat. I left the ring size at the default. Have a play with it yourself with your own finger size etc and see what you think. I tend to think if he prefers a wide band, he should wear one himself but for your ring, your wishes should take precedence IF you don't also love the wide band look.
1571088215101.png

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It comes down to personal preference...I prefer a thinner band. It kind of sounds like you would too...any chance you could have a chat with dh? You will be the one wearing the ring. Does it really matter that much to him?

OTOH, there's something to be said for minding my own business...this thick band will look nice so if you feel that's the best choice for you then go for it. Congratulations on your upgrade!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5mm is really thick... have you tried one on to see how it is to live with?

sspp08

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I currently have the same band and I am used to it but my concern is will my band width eat my upgrade?
Below is my current 1.31 carat on 5mm width

Attachments

• IMG_8320.jpg
    IMG_8320.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 42

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This www is my favorite ring style (a case of monomania!). It is possible to love such a thing.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like wide bands. You do you! If you like it and it feels good, do it!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What is the mm size of your stone? I have a 2.01-ct. that measures 8.01mm and I have it in a mounting with a 2.7mm band which I feel is really proportional. Personally, I feel a 5mm wide band is too wide. While I appreciate you want to honor your's husband's preference, it is your ring that you will be wearing. Let him get the width of wedding band he wants. You can see the ratio of my 8.01mm stone with the 2.7mm band in my avatar.

sspp08

Rough_Rock
What is the mm size of your stone? I have a 2.01-ct. that measures 8.01mm and I have it in a mounting with a 2.7mm band which I feel is really proportional. Personally, I feel a 5mm wide band is too wide. While I appreciate you want to honor your's husband's preference, it is your ring that you will be wearing. Let him get the width of wedding band he wants. You can see the ratio of my 8.01mm stone with the 2.7mm band in my avatar.
Your ring is beautiful. My new diamond will be 2.06 ct and it measures 8.23mm

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will notice a bigger stone.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider a source other than Blue Nile -- and shoulder width closer to 4 mm vs. 5 mm? The reason I ask is because the BN one has a "peg head" with "dead space" between the shoulders of the ring & the head. This 2-tone mounting from Stuller has a more integrated head that's nestled into the shank (which looks more expensive imo) -- and if you're OK with 14K, this Stuller would be about $250 cheaper than the BN one. It can, however, be ordered in 18K 2-tone gold or entirely yellow gold, white gold or platinum.

Stuller prices do vary depending on the metal choice, the size of the center stone and your ring size. Not knowing what size ring you wear, I selected size 6 from the drop-down menu & for an 8.2 mm round diamond. After making those choices, Stuller's software generates a video that will give you a very good idea of what the actual ring will look like. E.g., if you change the size of the center stone to 5.2 mm, the resulting video will show you the same mounting with a notably smaller center stone.

Last edited:

sspp08

Rough_Rock
Would you consider a source other than Blue Nile -- and shoulder width closer to 4 mm vs. 5 mm? The reason I ask is because the BN one has a "peg head" with "dead space" between the shoulders of the ring & the head. This 2-tone mounting from Stuller has a more integrated head that's nestled into the shank (which looks more expensive imo) -- and if you're OK with 14K, this Stuller would be about $250 cheaper than the BN one. It can, however, be ordered in 18K 2-tone gold or entirely yellow gold, white gold or platinum.

Stuller prices do vary depending on the metal choice, the size of the center stone and your ring size. Not knowing what size ring you wear, I selected size 6 from the drop-down menu & for an 8.2 mm round diamond. After making those choices, Stuller's software generates a video that will give you a very good idea of what the actual ring will look like. E.g., if you change the size of the center stone to 5.2 mm, the resulting video will show you the same mounting with a notably smaller center stone.
I love this site you have mentioned. It gives a good idea of the stone on the ring. Unfortunately I am stuck with Blue Nile for the upgrade program. Thank you so much.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I like wide bands but not much over 3-3.5 mm. I think I would rather have 2 bands together that are not perfectly matched that might equal 5 mm rather than a single band. I do think it will swallow your new diamond up. I am not saying you need to go down to 1.8 mm but maybe somewhere between 2.5-3 mm. I think the width paired with your wedding band would be a good compromise for your husband...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this site you have mentioned. It gives a good idea of the stone on the ring. Unfortunately I am stuck with Blue Nile for the upgrade program. Thank you so much.
Blue Nile's policy is to give a 100% credit of the purchase price of the original diamond (not the original complete ring) toward the purchase of the new stone. They do say farther down on this page
that if they can't re-use the original setting, you have the option of either keeping the original setting or accepting whatever credit for the setting that BN offers

Have you asked BN how much credit they would give you re the setting -- or are they themselves insisting on re-using your current ring & swapping in a larger peg head? If the credit is about the same as a pawnbroker would give you as the "scrap metal" value, I'm thinking you wouldn't lose much, if any, money by simply buying the bigger diamond from BN & purchasing a setting for the upgraded stone elsewhere.

(You can expect to pay, however, to have the jeweler who orders the Stuller -- or any other setting -- to charge you to set the BN diamond, whereas I'm guessing that BN won't charge you to set the new diamond in one of their own settings or in your current ring. But do get confirmation of that for a clearer picture of the total cost of the upgrade if you decide to stick with BN.)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. My new diamond will be 2.06 ct and it measures 8.23mm
Thank you! You definitely have a ring with much more spread than mine. I think the fact you are getting a consensus tells us you think it’s too wide. Is it a specific mounting he likes... or just that width in general? If it’s just about that width, have you considered either a split shank style or something that looks like 3 bands stacked? You will still get the width he likes but it will be broken up.

shicara

Rough_Rock
I saw this thick band on Instagram and think it looks great. Hope it is some positive inspo for you :)

Attachments

• FF4F1701-EB33-45F8-8113-8087244F428E.png
    FF4F1701-EB33-45F8-8113-8087244F428E.png
    710.6 KB · Views: 23

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget our opinions, and fwiw I would also not go with your dh's opinion, as you are the one wearing the ring and you are the one who should love wearing it.

There is no right or wrong. If you don't love it gently explain to your dh what you would love wearing and I am sure he would be on board with it. As any supportive loving spouse would be.

The general rule is a thicker band would make the diamond appear smaller but that is by all means not hard fact and it comes down to the look you prefer and enjoy.

Another thought if your dh is really keen on you getting a wider band how about wearing a wide wedding band on your other hand and getting the ER of your dreams to wear as you see it. That way you both get to have input.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you/he are considering thicker rings, do have a look at some of the Sholdt (spelling?) stuff - it can be 'bigger' but also very feminine :) (and you could get a cool tension setting, IIRC ;-) )

sspp08

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your response. I am so confused. Since I already ordered a wide band, I will wait for it to arrive and if I don't like it, I will definitely go for a thinner band.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone,

Finally I decided on my stone and wondering if a 2.06 carat diamond will look big enough on a 5mm wide band ? I personally don't like the band but my husband loves the width of the band and I want to honor his suggestion. I had a 1.31 carat diamond before and the whole reason to upgrade is a bigger diamond size. What do you all think about the band width?

Below is the band from Blue nile I am considering

My opinion is I would not go with a 5mm band I would be looking more like at a 2mm band. 5mm would not be dainty and delicate, it’s pretty thick and I do think it would backfire to not really show your size upgrade. You’ll end up feeling like you didn’t get the upgrade you want a that band size imo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results