shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

2.04 Ct. Princess Cut -Deal or No Deal?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Sleepdeprived, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

by Sleepdeprived » Oct 31, 2007
    Shape: Princess
    Measurement: 6.90-6.89 X 5.07mm
    Weight: 2.04 Cts.
    Color: F
    Clarity: SI 1
    Depth: 73.60
    Table: 70.00
    Girdle: Thin-Very Thick
    Culet: N
    Polish: Good
    Symmetry: Very Good
    Fluorescence: N
    Lab: GIA - (I can get the certificate number if you need it)

I have viewed this diamond in person and it is absolutely beautiful...then again it would be difficult for me to distinguish between a good diamond and a great diamond.

Verragio setting= ~ $3500
    Diamond lists price was $15,000; Jeweler said $14,000 would be possible w/o me haggling over the price. Note: Jeweler knew my budget was $15k for diamond and setting and still brought out this diamond. I have not started the negotiation phase, yet that is if there is one...but someone once told me that everything in life is negotiable.

1) Do you think this is a very good diamond? Anything odd jump out at you regarding the specs?

2) What about total price for the designer band, diamond & tax (6.25%).. is $16,500 doable?
    They probably can''t budge on the setting since it is a designer piece, but if he brought the price of the diamond down to $12,000 the total would be roughly $16,500. I am sure they anticipate individuals to negotiate the price. My question is what should be realistic expectations.

Note: This was not a mall store, it is a very reputable jewelry store in my area.

Thank you in advance for helping me during this nervous time!!!!!!

2. Sharon101
    Brilliant_Rock

by Sharon101 » Oct 31, 2007
    Experts round here like to know pavillion and crown angles and heights.

3. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

by Sleepdeprived » Nov 1, 2007
    I don''t know anything about pavilion or crown height. Anyone got an opinion on this diamond?

4. gtn
    Brilliant_Rock

by gtn » Nov 1, 2007
    I don''t know the answer to your question, I wish I did, but you might be able to get more information from the GIA report. get the number so the experts here can help.

5. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

6. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

Still no input? Did I do something wrong with my post? I need guidance, because I really don''t know what I am doing.

7. Hera
    Ideal_Rock

by Hera » Nov 1, 2007
    I'm not a princess expert but I thought I would try to help you a little before you go out and buy an ugly princess cut. I keep trying to do a search on princess cuts on here but it keeps giving me an error. With that said, I do remember a website that may help you grade the princess cut. Here it is:

http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

It seems like a pretty nice stone.

you can do a search by cut above to see if you are in the right price range.

8. Hera
    Ideal_Rock

by Hera » Nov 1, 2007
    what kind of inclusions does the diamond have?

9. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

The GIA Cert shows: Crystal, Cloud, Cavity, and Natural in the Key so I guess those are the inclusions. When look at it with the 10x loop it was hard for me to see, then again I had a hard time seeing the inclusions with most of the diamonds the guy was showing me.

10. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

The appriaser chart showed this cut as a 1B (Premium Cut) using the specs for the stone. Where can I go to see what a 2ct. F, SI 1 stone in this cut could be negotiated down to?

11. Hera
    Ideal_Rock

by Hera » Nov 1, 2007
    I don''t think there''s a location for that, but I think if you get it for $14,000 you would have gotten a very good deal. Here''s a diamond with similar specs like yours:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1067809.asp

12. Hera
    Ideal_Rock

13. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

Considering the markup in the diamond industry of 300-400%, so I have been told.... would the expectation of getting this stone for $12,000 be unreasonable/unrealistic, seeing how I will also be purchasing a $3500 designer setting from them to house the stone. Not to mention, that such deviation in price would go a long way in developing a longtime customer fo that local jeweler.

14. neatfreak
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by neatfreak » Nov 1, 2007
    Maybe the inflated markup...but the margins are a LOT smaller than that generally, at least from dealer to consumer. I think I have heard more along the lines of 10% but don''t quote me on that. But 3-400% is in no way accurate...

15. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

It is hard for me to believe that a jeweler''s cost on a diamond is 10% below the sales price. How could they stay in business? I really don''t know as my knowledge of this industry is rather limited. That is why I am relying on the good ol'' PS folks to lend the helping hand. So far you guys have been great. Don''t appraisers/jewelers help out with opinions in these forums.

16. Hera
    Ideal_Rock

by Hera » Nov 1, 2007
    I think I read on here once that it was 25%and up for a B&M but I could be wrong. Certainely far away from 300-400% markup.

17. Sleepdeprived
    Rough_Rock

by Sleepdeprived » Nov 2, 2007
    Thank you for all of the replies thus far....anyone else want to weigh in on the question? I am certainly glad there is a community out there that can help with these big purchases!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.