shape
carat
color
clarity

1stDibs offers?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I am interested in buying a piece of vintage jewellery that I found online. Only problem is the seller seems to be anti sales. :roll:. They are on ruby lane, I send a message just requesting best price and some more photos...no response. I send a message via their email address on website....no response. This was last week. Earlier today I send a message to their Instagram account...no response as yet. They have been active on this account since I initially made contact. In the interim it showed up as on hold yesterday but today is back off hold. There is no phone number or I would have just phoned. I don’t really understand what the problem is and I would avoid buying from them but I really like the item and whilst not absolutely unique it’s a good price and example. Argh.
So the 1stDibs question, it is also on there, if I put an offer in are they obligated to respond? I’m thinking probably not. Or should I just buy it as I don’t think the price is unreasonable but I am concerned due to the lack of contact. Thoughts?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would set off alarm bells for me, I’m afraid. I wouldn’t buy the piece. What if you want to return it and there’s still a lack of contact? Might end up being a huge hassle. Usually another one will come along eventually, you may just have to wait for a bit!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am interested in buying a piece of vintage jewellery that I found online. Only problem is the seller seems to be anti sales. :roll:. They are on ruby lane, I send a message just requesting best price and some more photos...no response. I send a message via their email address on website....no response. This was last week. Earlier today I send a message to their Instagram account...no response as yet. They have been active on this account since I initially made contact. In the interim it showed up as on hold yesterday but today is back off hold. There is no phone number or I would have just phoned. I don’t really understand what the problem is and I would avoid buying from them but I really like the item and whilst not absolutely unique it’s a good price and example. Argh.
So the 1stDibs question, it is also on there, if I put an offer in are they obligated to respond? I’m thinking probably not. Or should I just buy it as I don’t think the price is unreasonable but I am concerned due to the lack of contact. Thoughts?

I am sorry the seller is being difficult and my thoughts are you have tried numerous ways to contact them. That says it all. If you had only tried contacting them once I would say yes try again. But after a few attempts I would back off and search for another item and seller. It just iust isn't worth it. Unless they are on vacation and not receiving your messages but since there is no statement on their website saying they are on vacation I think that is rather unlikely. Fool me once shame on me fool me twice...

It might have already sold but no matter what the seller should have had the courtesy to reply to your request and let you know that it sold or sale was pending. Not cool to just ignore you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a seller is this unresponsive before the sale imagine what it will be like if there is a problem after. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Snowdrop13 and @missy yes I agree. However have had a reply this morning on Instagram with a price lower (but several hundred) than I was going to offer. They have confirmed they will accept returns so I am feeling more positive though yet to get my paypal invoice. They have good feedback on 1stDibs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Snowdrop13 and @missy yes I agree. However have had a reply this morning on Instagram with a price lower (but several hundred) than I was going to offer. They have confirmed they will accept returns so I am feeling more positive though yet to get my paypal invoice. They have good feedback on 1stDibs.

Sounds promising @meely...Good luck!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck @meely! I can’t wait to see what it is!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I tend to think that emails must be answered by the third day. Faster is nice. Later, I will have moved on followed up as you did.

Fingers crossed!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh well that is good news! Perhaps they were dealing with a personal issue. In any case, can't wait to see your new treasure!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah we will see, I’m not 100% convinced but all being well I will of course post! Thanks for the advice everyone!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/jewellery...-gold-amethyst-riviere-necklace/id-j_7107181/

So ladies my item eventually came on Saturday. The main hold up was me as I was down a bank card and it took 10 days to get it through :cry2:. Anyway here is the thing. As soon as I opened it I felt that it was not right.
Setting a bit cheap 9k which didn’t bother me but when I saw it was obviously not wear and tear just the way it was made, clasp flimsy. Stones nice color and not overly windowed but to me they looked like paste/synthetic. There was a vague rainbow colour coming off them and each stone was uniformly the same, no noticeable variance in color between them and no color difference in the stones themselves. No abrasions or nicks at all to the stones. But what really made me think they were not genuine was the cut was identical literally every stone was the same even down to a slight mis meet on the facet junctions on one side. So here is me 95% certain that this is not feeling right and that the stones are glass/paste because of the identical cuts.
So I emailed the seller and they said that I was welcome to send it back and that it had been sold to them as natural from a trusted source. I sent them back yesterday. Then today she sent me a photo of her testing it and the dial is on amethyst not glass o_O. So I know that this could be synthetic amethyst but does that still fit with my other observations. She had said I can have it back lol as she is yet to refund but I was so sure they weren’t right. HELP!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I say you just ask for a refund and move on. After the way this thread began, and knowing how much synthetic amy there is out there, I wonder if you will always be a bit bothered by this piece. You will be able to find another piece that you will love without all the questionable issues. Just my 2 cents.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s another with the dreaded “DM for info.” I purchased my antique star brooch from this seller and they were very helpful. My item was exactly as described.

C0554D68-E1B8-4062-AADD-A48CD138C833.png

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Mrs_Strizzle think you may have a point.
@JPie Thanks. I have looked at all those, the first I think the amethysts are a bit yucky, the second I have seriously considered but the colour is not so good as the one I bought and I would prefer less chain, am still considering though. The third I messaged about but the amethysts are only 8mm which isn’t big enough for my tastes or the price tag.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results