shape
carat
color
clarity

1st Time Gardener Here, Asking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

It’s been over a month since DH and I moved into our house and finally, I’m ready to tackle the garden.

First off, let me mention that I have a black thumb. Every plant or flower that I’ve ever touched had died within a matter of days. I pretty much gave-up on anything green until now. Now, I’m ready to try again.

The garden we have now runs all down the side of the house. It’s rather long – about 15 feet long and about 10 feet wide. The current garden consists of overgrown tomato plants, pepper plants, 3 rose bushes, and a cactus. I’ve recently put stone slabs throughout the garden for stepping and aesthetics.

So now that fall is approaching, it’s time to remove the tomato plants. I want to put some fall flowering plants. I also really like these pretty blue flowering plants, I think they are forget-me-nots, but I’m not sure. I want burgundy, blue, purple and reds. Rich colors.

Any suggestions on good fall flowering plants? I live in Houston so I need plants that would fair well in the hot Texas climate.

Also, what do I need to do, if anything to the soil, after removing the tomato plants? Do I just dig up the about 2 inches of dirt/soil and lay down fresh top soil and then replant?

I’m afraid I’m going to end up with a bunch of dead plants.

THANKS!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
metro--welcome to home gardening.

I''m an avid gardener but I''m not in your climate. I would recommend that you check out the gardenweb.com forums. I''m pretty sure there is a forum for southern climates like yours. The folks there are friendly and willing to help just like PS.

Good luck!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Metro...I grew up in Houston. My mother had a bed of similar size...she had the most glorious Red geraniums. They are bullet proof-she did nothing. The grow huge in your climate and offer flowers most of the year.

I will question her on other suggestions...but my childhood memory has such fondness for the smell and look of that red bed that that is all that comes to mind. Oh, and elephant ears.

You have a plethora of hardy plants...you are more tropical...and humid and plants want to be your friend!! Embrace them!

DKS

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i was googling something fall garden related just this week and one of the sites that came up was a texas gardening site. i believe that texas weather affords the opportunity for a second garden about this time.

fall makes me think of mums and time to plant bulbs for spring flowers. i also love the ornamental cabbage and kale available for fall. good luck!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
OH poo Metro...I just talked to my mom and realized your dilemma was the thing I couldn't remember to ask her. I kept saying there is something I need to ask you...arrghhhh. Will call her again ...she is a care giver and works 12 hours shifts. But she will be ready next time I call as I will leave her a message now!!!

Have you ever been in southern California? There is this plant that is a ground cover...it is a succulent which means it hold on to water well, and it has the most vibrant colored flowers scattered about. I think it is Portulaca. You will have spring like colors of fuchsia, lemon yellow, neon orange...and more.

They have a tropical plant I adore ...I know you know the flower, the bird of paradise. (this will meet your bright color criteria...blue, purple, red and Fire orange!!! all in one flower) I wonder if you too love it...if you do, make an inquiry at your nursery and see if Houston is hospitable to its growth. You will have a full elegant bush dark forest green foliage like plant all year...and the ever wondrous shoots of paradise flowers to look forward to. I love the contemporary look of them. In SoCal they are everywhere and therefore need very little to no attention. They stay fairly uniform and need no trimming. But will multiply and increase in size. So you may have to cull them out.

If you like the look of ornamental grasses they are no maintenance and many have blue or purple shoots coming out. You can consider a monkey grass that is variegated which makes the blade a bright green or forest green with a light colored streak down the center. The streak can be yellow or white, and the the grass sends a shoot of bloom that is a beautiful shade of purple. Monkey grass is no maintenance. It is VERY hardy and can survive in Houston with no problem. It will also get elephant like in size.

There is a plant called dusty miller. It is a seafoam greenish grey blue that in a tropical temp it will grow quite bushy. It is cool tolerant and may be an option to set off your bright colors you are planting. Use of dusty miller is more complimentary. It makes a statement, but even more so infused with other colors. (especially blues and purples!!! Oh I love it)

There is a flower called salvia. It has red shoots of flowers and is extremely low maintenance. The latter two of these examples I am giving you are annuals. Which mean they have a year lifespan-in climate with freeze temps. Many perennials have a hardier strength to make it through cool weather.

Oh don't forget pansy for a cheap splash of color. You can get a hardy fall pansy and in Houston you should have it all winter.

Look into Phlox and Passion flower. I remember them as a child.

Hope some of these will help.

DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results